Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

down sides on I/Os

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snoop108
Criminal
Criminal

City: iola

PostPosted: Jul 14, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: down sides on I/Os Reply with quote

i have an I/O and was wondering if it would effect my wakeboarding that much. and if so, wat are the down sides>? and is there ny way i can fix the wake?
wakerider_23234
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jul 14, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some sacs trim it up a bit and some hot chicks
wakessories
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jul 14, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Better yet...

FAT CHICS!!

You'll probably need some weight in the front as well to keep that nose down.
Snoop108
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jul 14, 2005 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright........but wat are the down sides?
bighitbiker3
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Seattle

PostPosted: Jul 14, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya I have been really wondering this too. I have and i/o and the wake is pretty big with some sacks. Close to my friends fully ballasted supra wake. So someone please tell me.
wakessories
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2005 4:26 am    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

There are actually a few reasons.

1. On an inboard, the prop is in the middle of the boat. So maneuvering the boat and control of the boat is much easier. Not to mention holding turns, and keeping the boat at plain. Keeping the boat at plain is a huge factor, then you can keep your speed and hold the RPM's more often then an I/O. When you're driving an I/O, it seems you can never keep the nose down, keep those RPM's and maintain that constant speed.

2. I believe the wake is a lot softer with an I/O, even with weight. There is a difference between a big wake and a big hard wake. With time you'll start noticing these little things and lone behold you'll want an Inboard.

3. I/O's have a tendency to have rougher rides, they are not designed to keep the water smooth yet throw a fat wake off the back. More wash out behind an I/O.

4. Whether these will affect your ride or not is totally up to the rider. If you're a good solid rider, you can pretty much ride behind anything with a wake once you figure out where the lip is. Smile I was behind a jet ski the other day and went wake to wake most of the time. Talk about a wash out.

5. The power of an I/O completely sucks compared to an Inboard when pulling a skier, wakeboarder or anything else out of the water.

Here is a good comparison in everyday life!!!!!
a. Flat bed tow truck = Inboard (the car is in the middle of the truck, he's got complete control over the car, the weight is distributed more properly and he does not even know the car is there)
b. Pull behind tow truck = I/O (the car is being pulled behind the truck, less control, more sway, wider turns and slower stops)

6. Inboards have a direct drive, hmm.... Sounds like less parts involved, no need for trim, lower unit, etc.. Overall I'd say maintenance is less on an Inboard.

Personally, I would say riding behind an I/O if you're a beginner is better. The wake is smaller, softer and you can get the feel of just being on the board better. Once you master that, you can step it up to a bigger, harder, smoother wake and catch better air. The only exception with this is; Inboards do help get you out of the water the first time a lot easier, I/O's you do more of the work pulling yourself up.

I'm sure I'm missing a few factors, but this is what I've noticed in the past riding behind I/O's.

Overall I/O's are not that bad, just harder to get that big air for advanced tricks that you'll soon want to start trying.
Mobe789
Addict
Addict

City: North orlando/ Maitland

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2005 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holding speed, we have an i/o and an inboard, holding speed is almost impossible with an i/o, with a rider on the back
No0ne
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2005 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: reply Reply with quote

Snoop108,
Put a couple of sacs, probably to the front more than the back(depends on your boat), add PerfectPass, and youll have a boat that will allow you to do enough tricks as any of these wakeboard boats will.
Remeber most of the people on here cant even do enough on a board to justify the potential of a true wakeboard boat.

wakessories, has no idea about the things he speaks, cause my $40,000 I/O, will out accelerate, has a faster top speed of (65mph), is a pleasure to drve over a double up vs. his ballbreaker wakeboard boat. It has a large wake, good ramp with sacs and holding speed that allows me to Raley at about 8 ft. high flat.
There is no such thing as a hard vs soft wake (water is water). Its just a bad description of describing the angle at which a wake rises off the back of the boat.
Dont let someone who has spent more money on something their ability cant appreciate discourage you.
Just put as much weight in the boat as you have power for, consider installing perfect pass and learn how to rip and pop.
Good Luck

wakessories wrote:
There are actually a few reasons.

1. On an inboard, the prop is in the middle of the boat. So maneuvering the boat and control of the boat is much easier. Not to mention holding turns, and keeping the boat at plain. Keeping the boat at plain is a huge factor, then you can keep your speed and hold the RPM's more often then an I/O. When you're driving an I/O, it seems you can never keep the nose down, keep those RPM's and maintain that constant speed.

2. I believe the wake is a lot softer with an I/O, even with weight. There is a difference between a big wake and a big hard wake. With time you'll start noticing these little things and lone behold you'll want an Inboard.

3. I/O's have a tendency to have rougher rides, they are not designed to keep the water smooth yet throw a fat wake off the back. More wash out behind an I/O.

4. Whether these will affect your ride or not is totally up to the rider. If you're a good solid rider, you can pretty much ride behind anything with a wake once you figure out where the lip is. Smile I was behind a jet ski the other day and went wake to wake most of the time. Talk about a wash out.

5. The power of an I/O completely sucks compared to an Inboard when pulling a skier, wakeboarder or anything else out of the water.

Here is a good comparison in everyday life!!!!!
a. Flat bed tow truck = Inboard (the car is in the middle of the truck, he's got complete control over the car, the weight is distributed more properly and he does not even know the car is there)
b. Pull behind tow truck = I/O (the car is being pulled behind the truck, less control, more sway, wider turns and slower stops)

6. Inboards have a direct drive, hmm.... Sounds like less parts involved, no need for trim, lower unit, etc.. Overall I'd say maintenance is less on an Inboard.

Personally, I would say riding behind an I/O if you're a beginner is better. The wake is smaller, softer and you can get the feel of just being on the board better. Once you master that, you can step it up to a bigger, harder, smoother wake and catch better air. The only exception with this is; Inboards do help get you out of the water the first time a lot easier, I/O's you do more of the work pulling yourself up.

I'm sure I'm missing a few factors, but this is what I've noticed in the past riding behind I/O's.

Overall I/O's are not that bad, just harder to get that big air for advanced tricks that you'll soon want to start trying.

AndyDeeJay
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Belfast

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: reply Reply with quote

wakessories wrote:

1. On an inboard, the prop is in the middle of the boat.

Which inboard boat would that be now? Are you mixing up prop with engine cover? are you forgetting about inboard Vdrives?
Quote:

So maneuvering the boat and control of the boat is much easier

My xtar is an inboard and its prop is about 1 foot from the transom. It steers perfectly until you put it in reverse and then it has a mind of its own (No water being pushed over the rudder). I/Os steer in reverse
Quote:

I/Os have something called trim which can push the stern drive out or in and allows control of the bow height. Too far out and the bow rises giving all the said symptoms. Too far in and the bow drops so far you cant steer. However there is a sweet spot in between where you get good holeshot, good wake, good steering.
Quote:

I/O hulls are deeper v hulls designed for rougher water
Quote:

bit of a stereotypical statement. Try putting a lower pitched prop on and watch it out accelerate anything else on the water!

bighitbiker3
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2005 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya a lot of those statements are BS. An i/o will go better in rougher water. At low speeds aka lower than 10 mph my i/o will handle better than any inboard. And the prop is not in the middle of the boat.
bighitbiker3
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya a lot of those statements are BS. An i/o will go better in rougher water. At low speeds aka lower than 10 mph my i/o will handle better than any inboard. And the prop is not in the middle of the boat. O and im sure my boat will have more holeshot and top end than any inboard.
Snoop108
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2005 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wat is a perfect pass and where can i get it installed?
wakessories
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2005 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PERFECT PASS : http://www.perfectpass.com/pp_wakeboardpro.html
Short Description: Manages the RPM's to keep your boat at a steady speed. Eliminates the need to manually control your speed in turns etc. Very spendy, but very handy if you ski/wakeboard a lot.
----------------
All he asked was if it would affect his wakeboarding that much, the answer is NO. All I can say is if you ever drive an inboard, you'll want one. There is a reason why the call them Tournamet ski boats, Competition Ski boats, etc. etc... You don't see that on any I/O I've ever seen. I/O's are trying to become more like Inboards, and Inboards are trying to become more like I/O's. They are bringing the best of both worlds into the next generation of boats. Anymore it doesn't matter what you ride behind, it does matter how good you are. Smile

I must have hit a sweet spot with all you I/O owners, please accept my apologies and I was only stating what I've experienced with my I/O vs. my inboard without going into too much detail.

Wakessories
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general i/os handle rough water better. Most of the problems with their ability to hold speed have to do with being under-powered and over-pictched. If you were to put a 351 with a prop made for hole shot it would hold speed as well as an i/o. The problem is they usually aren't designed like this. i/os can be much faster also. Because the prop aims straight back it converts power to top end speed much better.

The biggest problem with i/os is the wash in the wake. Because the prop is behind the boat it stirs up the water and pushes air through the wake causing the wake to be soft and washy.

Quote:

There is no such thing as a hard vs soft wake (water is water).

True that water is incompressible, but there is such a thing as hard and soft wakes. The farther you ride back from the boat the wake gets softer and softer. It has to do with how much water is behind the wake to push back and the shape of the inside of the wake combined with how the water dissipates and how quickly. If, after you reach the peak of the wake you have a steep dropoff on the inside there is less water to push back when you pop off the wake you will slice through it more than launch off it. So you can have a wake with the same shape & size of ramp that pops completely differently.

MNconrad

City: edina

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i use my friends i/o all the time. i was just at his house yesterday and it was throwing a solid wake, it was big and pretty hard. i dont have troubles keeping plane when towing my friends. the only downside i see in the boat is that it doesnt have a tower(soon to be fixed), plus its getting kinda old.
Snoop108
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya im gonna get a monster
acej92
Criminal
Criminal

City: MIA

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2005 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been in an i/o all my life...yes of course wakeboats are going to handle towing a wakeboarder better than an i/o, but not all inboards are great wake boats either. Snoop108, if you put some weight in it, learn how to trim it right, and maybe get a prop with a lower pitch you'll find that the boat won't hold you back. don't get me wrong there is no problem with my boat, but that's not saying i wouldn't give it up in a second for a wakeboat. Cool
indianawake
Criminal
Criminal

City: Terre Haute

PostPosted: Jul 29, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://d12727520.a149.apachelinux.net/

This is my site, so far I only have 1 pic of my I/O Glastron, It does the job for me for now, cant say it will later but, for now, It is the best boat in my area for wakeboarding.

Web Site At:
www.indianawake.com
indianawake@aim.com
Lake Cumberland Rocks every holiday
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Accessories All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: