Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Amp Install question: Possible or not ????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wakeboarder89
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jun 27, 2005 1:57 pm    Post subject: Amp Install question: Possible or not ???? Reply with quote

I am getting ready to install my tower speakers and the webstie suggests wiring the speakers so that they are on the rear fade and the boat speakers on the front fade. BUT my HU only has one set of RCAs and i already have a amp running my subs hooked into that RCA. So...... how would i run the tower speakers off the rear fade with an amp?

Sorry for the long post, i hope that made sense.
bkw4287
Criminal
Criminal

City: Central FL

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong about what your asking, but it sounds like you are confusing two different setups. If you run the tower speakers off of your radio then you can wire them into the rear fade. But if you want to amp them then the fade will be useless.

Also you can get RCA splitters and add another amp to your setup without much of a problem.
Dees
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Nampa

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should run your tower speakers thru and amp, with only having one set of out puts, you can chain two amps together. most newer amps have a set of pass thru (female rca) that you can plug RCA into and then into the other amp. As far as fading like you said I dont think it will work because you only have one set of output and it won't be able to tell front from rear.

jt09 wrote:
ont - like your money, your opinion loses value as it crosses the border.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website AIM Address
wakeboarder89
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks i didnt think that i could use the fade. I will just have to get a Y-splitter so that i can use 2 amps..
Dees
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so I take it your amps dont' have pass thur

jt09 wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website AIM Address
wakeboarder89
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not sure i would have to check. Is it better to wire them that way instead of using the Y-Splitter?
Dees
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure it, it will probable me better to go directly from the amp. But it should work either way.

jt09 wrote:
twitch88
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: up the hill, ca

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is better to use the signal out from the amp than a splitter, although you probably wouldn't be able to hear the difference anyway. RCA outputs from the hu are rated in voltage, the higher the voltage the better the signal, and when you split the signal unfortunately you also split the voltage.

There is also another way to get signal to your amp by using the high level input. This will actually splice into the harness from your hu and utilize the speaker outputs for signal. If you do it this way your fader will still function, but the distortion will be much higher.

I recommend "daisy chaining" your amps first, second choice would be the splitter, and last the high level input.

AndyDeeJay
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Belfast

PostPosted: Jul 05, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y lead splitters do not split the voltage. You could connect 10 amps to a head unit without any problems or degradation as the RCA outputs are low impedance and amps are high impedance input.

There is also a mis-conception about high voltage RCA outputs making the amp not have to work as hard - this is total crap and is just another sales gimick generated by over zealous stupid ass salespeople who dont have a clue about bugger all. Power amplifiers used for audio applications are current*voltage amplifiers and amplify the milliwatt outputs from RCA cables to tens and hundreds of watts used by speakers. I could put a few small electronic components together and make a head unit RCA output be 1000volts then the amplifier would actually have to reduce the power to the speakers?....wrong. All the higher voltage preouts from Headunits do is allow a better signal to noise ratio because you can actually turn the gain on the amps down to get the same volume at the speakers. This dosn't mean the amp is working less hard rather the drive stage for the output devices is having to make up less simple voltage gain.

AndyDeeJay
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Belfast

PostPosted: Jul 05, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twitch88, no bad feelings against you man...Pioneer electronics recently pissed me off.

doesn't do what it says on the tin....!

frymantcu
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Fort Worth

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking to mount up my amp and tower speakers this weekend. I have all the components and wires, I was just wondering what kind of mounting hardware I should use? Do you screw directly into the carpet, I kinda thought there was boat under there somewhere! please help this lost newbie! Laughing
jklein
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: El Dorado Hills

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should drop 250 bucks and get a new head unit that supports at least 3 sets of RCA outputs (Front, Rear, and Sub).
wakeboarder89
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 20, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jklein, i thought about it but id rather put that money into my truck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Accessories All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: