Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Finished ballast system in PS190, but need some more help...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gvb
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: San Diego, CA

PostPosted: Jun 26, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Finished ballast system in PS190, but need some more help... Reply with quote

I finished the (semi)auto ballast system in my 89' ProStar 190, but am having a few problems.

This is my system:

- 1.25" Tee from fresh water intake to 1" PVC ball valve, to Ballast Puppy Pump, from there I have a 1" tee running to a 350 lb sac in the bow and a Launch Pad Lounge in the rear. 1" PVC ball valves before each bag.

Problems:

1) The system fills very slow, and it doesn't fill very well without the motor running.

2) I can't empty the bags without the motor running because I have a Flush Pro adapter before my tee for the pump. I didn't even think about this until after I cut my existing hoses. The Flush Pro adapter doesn't let water flow back out the bottom of the boat, and the pump can't push the water past the engine impeller when it's off.

3) The pump constantly turns itself off... is this the overheat protection feature? It was about 100 degrees outside... the pump is bolted to the floor under the passanger seat and had been running for about 10 minutes. Is this normal?

4) The bag I have under the bow is setup long ways, but after a days worth of chop, the bag slowly pushes itself towards the back of the boat. I'd like to find a way to mount a 8" tall peice of wood, contoured to the shape of the hull that effectively seperates the bow from the driver so the bag stays put. Am I making any sense?

5) The blue water bed fittings suck... the bag in the front is supposed to be permanently connected, but I have to constantly monitor it to make sure it's not coming loose and emptying 350lbs worth of water into the boat. What is a better way to keep the hose connected to the bag?

Possible solution:

1 & 2) I am thinking of either replacing the 1.25" tee with a coupler (to effectively put the engine intake back to the way it was) and install a new 1" forward facing thru hull scoop just opposite of the existing fresh water intake (do I also need an inline strainer to prevent crap from getting into the pump?), or replacing the hose I cut up and putting the tee BEFORE the Flush Pro kit. I don't mind cutting holes.

3) Do I have a bad pump, or is the way I have the water intake setup, casuing the pump to work harder than it should?

4) A peice of wood with L Brackets holding it in place? Is there even anywhere to screw into up there other than the floor? Would it hold? Is this idea crazy?

5) Silicone or Shoe-Goo the water bed fitting into place? Replace it with something else?

Help!!

-gvb
holiday13
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Flemington

PostPosted: Jun 27, 2005 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can not speak for the operating/overheating of the pump, but I would definately say put a second pipck up in, sounds like that will solve most your problems. When you do put a seacock between the pick up and the pump so you have a safety shut off as well, one like this http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=5547&catalogId=10001&classNum=71&subdeptNum=70&storeNum=11 .

As for the waterbed fittings, I have no trouble with mine, but there are a few types, and one is much better, but harder to find. I ordered a bunch from a waterbed shop and figured they are all the same, wrong. You need the blue magic ones, if you call Craig at Surf and Offshore (in NJ) he can probably get them for you, real good guy to deal with! He advertises in WBM.

Is your bag sitting on carpet or fiberglass? If it is on carpet, rather than drilling holes in the boat maybe look into so high grade velcro and attach it to the bottom of the sack, that should hold it. If you are on finished fiberglass, look to some sort of self stick adhesive with a rubber coating to create friction, dont remeber what it is called (gorilla rubber?), I have seen it on the back of a few ski boats to protect the hull, it has a rough finish which will probably give to friction you need to hold the sack in place. Good luck!
AndyDeeJay
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Belfast

PostPosted: Jun 27, 2005 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personnal opinion would be to stay away from the engines cooling water system. there is too great a risk of starving the raw water pump and cooking the engine especially in your hot weather conditions. - It is really worth putting in a 1.5 inch through hull fitting. Feed this through a shutoff valve to a pump for your front sac and a pump for your fat seat. You can do away with the pvc valves and the system will work with the flick of 2 switches.

Ive just realised that is what holiday13, said.

can you access the bow U-bolt from behind - if you can then bolt on some lugs and tie the front sac in place using some rope. The sac outer has tieing lugs sewin in.

gvb
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: San Diego, CA

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good ideas guys.. thanks for the input.

Anyone else have anything to add?

-gvb
Kewlboarder27r
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Mound

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds cool but im confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: