Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

bender suggestions?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wallrat
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Huntington Beach

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: bender suggestions? Reply with quote

Well I'm all set to build my tower. I've drawn up all the plans, done the calculations, have the 2" alum tube, the heims, I'm set. I even have all the plans for building one for my buddy after I finish mine. 'Cept I was planning to use the conduit bender at my work and as it turns out, conduit is measured the same as pipe - i.e. 2" pipe actually is like 2.33" O.D. I called around and can get all the bends done at a local shop for $165 or...I could buy a bender since it's something I'll definately use again. Only problem is that benders are PRICEY! I was checking out the model 3 at www.jd2.com for $295. That's fine but then a single 2" die is another $295! Mostly I'd use the bender for 1" stuff so I dunno how often I'll even get to use the 2" die after this build. Anybody have any other suggestions on something a little cheaper?
daytona955

City: Flowery Branch

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why you could not rent one from a tool shop. Try callingaround and see if any of the loal tool rentals have one. It should be pretty cheap.
holiday13
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Flemington

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check these guys out, similar design as the jd2 but I feel beefier. I have done a decent amount of roll cage work with mine, it gets old cranking it but is probably the cheapest way to get into it. http://www.pro-tools.com/105.htm
holiday13
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Flemington

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention also, here is a great write up on bending tube for beginers, really simplifies things http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/bendin_tube/index.html
vette74
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Houston

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those all look like good benders. One thing you have to remember pipe is measured by the inside diameter and tubing is measured by the outside diameter. IE you get a 2" die you need 2" tubing not 2" pipe it is very important. Also, if you are bending large diameter tubing it helps to fill it with sand first and duct tape the ends, this keeps the pipe from kinking as easy and keeps the pipe from going oval around the bend.
Wallrat
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Huntington Beach

PostPosted: Jun 22, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good suggestion on renting one...hadn't thought of that. I read the bendin tube 101 already and the protools definately looks sharp. I still dunno what I'll end up doing. Have to call some rental places tomorrow and see what my options are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: