Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Simer Pump Wiring

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randy
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Little Rock, AR

PostPosted: Apr 26, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Simer Pump Wiring Reply with quote

I've just about got my custom ballast install finished but I have ran into problems. I have no idea how to wire my simer pumps so that they are reversible. Here's my setup. I have two simer pumps. I want each pump to fill and empty one bag. I bought ballast switches to control each pump independently and my father in law knows electronics well. We found the schematic of the switch and it looks like one switch is designed to run two pumps. One pump is used to fill and one pump is used to empty using a single switch. That is not what I need! I need a switch that can switch polarity between positive and negative to reverse the pump.

What switches are you guys using for this setup?
Randy
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Apr 26, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh I also have the carling switch v6j1. It has 4 prongs. I wish I brought the switch home to take a picture of it. PLEASE HELP!
wesgardner
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Severna Park

PostPosted: Apr 27, 2005 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Randy,

What you need is a DPDT (double pole, double throw) center OFF switch for each pump/bag.

See wiring diagram - the polarity is reversed when the switch is "thrown" to one position or the other - obviously the center position is "OFF". This will be your "Fill" and "Drain".

The wires labelled + and - come from the battery or a distribution block somewhere. Following the "logic" of the wiring diagram, you'll be able to figure out what wire to hook up to the pump as you'll want your "Fill" position to run the pump in the correct direction. If it doesn't , just switch the wires going to the pump.

Wes

Randy
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Apr 27, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes,
That's exatly what my father in law said. We need a dPDT swtich. My dad just orderd two from a local auto store. I understand the reversed polarity thing, and we proved the pump will work in reverse. Now I just have to wire it!
chopper515
Criminal
Criminal

City: St. Louis

PostPosted: May 03, 2005 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy, I have about the same setup: 2 simer pumps, 1 running to my v-drive sacs and the other running to the ski locker. I have them wired to 2 separate switches just like you are talking about. I love the setup. No problems at all
gus_jd
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Milwaukee, WI

PostPosted: May 16, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys--how many amps are your switches rated for? I was at Home Depot today and found 10A DPDT switches for under $4. Seems great, but from what I've read Simers will draw 20A, and the fuse they came with is 30A. Don't want to risk melting down the dash.
wesgardner
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Severna Park

PostPosted: May 17, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey gus_jd,

Don't know for sure but I'm guessing a Simer draws 15-20....10 might be a tad light...particularly when'if there's any resistance from an obstruction or something making the pump really work...

Wes

WakeTech
Addict
Addict

City: Edmonton

PostPosted: May 17, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested the simers before I put them in my boat and the max amperage that I found they run at is approx 11-12 amps. This includes switching them from a forward to reverse rotation. Keep in mind the amperage may go higher if your self priming for a long period, but I'm not 100% sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: