Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Drive Shaft Replacement Instructions?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juice75
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Austin

PostPosted: May 15, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Drive Shaft Replacement Instructions? Reply with quote

I'm going to attempt to replace my drive shaft. I had a bad day today (as you can tell by the pics below). Has anyone replaced a drive shaft before, and have any instructions or tips?

Also, can a machine shop make a new stainless shaft? I check Discount Marine, and those things are around $300 new.

My boat is an '89 Supra Comp, if that matters.

Thanks.

wesgardner
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Severna Park

PostPosted: May 16, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Juice75,

OUCH, what on earth happened????++***!!!

To remove shaft - remove prop. (use puller or whatever you need), have it reconditioned/balanced as required. The shaft breaks loose from the coupling on the backside of the transmission (assume you have a direct drive boat). Remove coupling from shaft - slide it out the back. Loosen the stuffing box completely.

The new one will go in past the rudder, thru the strut and up into the boat - guide the shaft up into the stern tube/stuffing box (you will take the stuffing box completely apart and re-pack as required).

Don't know where else to buy shafts...sorry

Depending on how that happened, you may want to check to see if your strut's OK...

Wes

Juice75
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: May 16, 2005 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey wesgardner, I have no idea what happened. We were just cruising along when it snapped. I checkout the strut bushing, and it's worn on one side. So my best guess is that the drivetrain was out of alignment, and the shaft was pushed up against one side of the strut bushing. Either that, or the Lochness Monster tried to eat it. Those are my only two guesses.

Thanks for the replacement instructions. Sounds like something I can definitely do myself and save a few dollars. I can do everything except replace the strut bushing. I'll have to get that pressed out/in somewhere.

The worst part is that my boat will probably be out of commission for 3-4 weeks. And the weather just started getting real nice. Evil or Very Mad

Trash

City: Winnipeg

PostPosted: May 16, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just replaced mine. It's actually quite simple. Make sure you have a torque wrench though!

Take your time. There's no rocket science here, just removing bolts and shear pins. The driveshaft-to-coupler bolt can be a bitch if you don't have a short socket that will fit. Once that bolt is removed, you need to put a smaller socket against the driveshaft end and the transmissison flange. Then (using longer bolts), rebolt up the coupler. The socket will push the coupler off the shear pin and driveshaft. Bolting up was easier.

I really recommend getting it aligned though when you're done. It'll prevent any damage on your drivetrain in the future

Trash

Juice75
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: May 16, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Trash. I'll definitely get everything aligned when I'm done. I don't want this to happen again.

Where did you get your drive shaft?

Trash

City: Winnipeg

PostPosted: May 16, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought mine direct from the manufacturer. There's no dealer near me, so I called them up and after I sent a cheque out, they shipped it to me.

If that doesn't pan out for you, then www.Elberts.com might be a good choice. They have excellent install instructions on their website (that's what I used when I installed the driveshaft)

Trash

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: