Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Prop guard question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vetndan
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: May 03, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Prop guard question Reply with quote

I have a buddy that has a Pro-Star 205. The prop guard (or whatever you call it) on the bottom of his trailer scrapes everytime he goes in or out of driveways, big dips etc.. Has anyone found a fix for this? We have seen other boats with some sort of caster(s) mounted to the bottom of the guard, is anyone doing this?
jonsmith2340
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: May 03, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would start with your tow vehicle and the heigth of your hitch. If you hitch is to high then it would lower the prop gaurd on the trailer.

If this is the case try something like this to adjust your receiver heigth:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=200169924&R=200169924

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=13451&R=13451

Also, tire pressure on the trailer and on the tow vehicle can affect things like this, not the a huge degree but worth checking.

Good luck
t500

City: NW suburbs of Chicago

PostPosted: May 06, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a great thread about what you are looking to do.
http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=2323&highlight=trailer+lift

I have a very steep driveway and had to use 2x10's under the wheels to get my boat up it. My driveway is steep enough that adjusting the height of the hitch would not have helped much, probably would have made it worse since it would get hung up on the curb if it were any lower.

After finding the thread posted above i made some wheel brackets on the side of the prop guard. The setup i made is very similar to what Dorsey uses on their trailers. The wheels like boatmate uses would be a lot easier to make, but when i made mine i didn't quite trust the strength of the horizontal section of the prop guard to support the weight of the trailer. It probably would be fine, i just tend to overbuild things.

Now i can get the boat up or down the driveway without having to worry about the trailer getting hung up on the prop guard. And no more scraping the prop guard while driving around. If you want i can get some pictures of what i did. the paint doesn't even come close to matching what was on the trailer, so it isn't pretty but it works great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Accessories All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: