Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Moomba Build Quality

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wu343
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2005 5:57 am    Post subject: Moomba Build Quality Reply with quote

I have not had a chance to drive a Moomba yet but I have been told from other dealers that the boat will not feel as solid as a Malibu. Is this true? The only thing I don’t like about the Moomba boats now is that the seats are too close to the floor. I am still considering them for my new boat but if there is a noticeable difference in hull strength then I will not even test drive them.
Jon
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I say is go test drive. Moomba has the same hull construction as Supra. And thats funny to me, most people consider Supra to be a quality boat and not Moomba.
EMP912
Addict
Addict

City: Greenback

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2005 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made right next to Supra with the same hand laid Fiberglass. Malibu rolls their Fiberglass as well.

I agree with Jon you will not know until you test drive one.

John 3:16
wu343
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the low seats in the Moomba LSV? Does that get annoying after a while?
EMP912
Addict
Addict

City: Greenback

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another personal pref thing.

In all the moombas I have ridden in it did not bother. First off I am 5.9. I would just stretch out my legs and kinda kick back.

With it full of people of course felt cramped a bit but never thought of the seats being low.

Plus I spend a lot of time in the drivers seat.

John 3:16
MobiusMan

City: Lewisville

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2003 Mobius LSV and the low seats have never been an issue. If you look at other wake-specific boats, their seats are kinda low as well. My friends have never made any comments about my seats. As far as the rest of the boat goes...I love it and its a great boat to enter into the sport with. I will upgrade to a Supra sometime in the future. But, for the money, you can't beat it. You just don't have the luxurious finishes and "Bling" as the other top Manufacturers, but you also don't have the $50K price tag either. Moomba was a great buy for me at this point just getting out of college and I have the rest of my life to work up to "All the Bling". Moomba's serve the purpose as a wake-specific boat. It really comes down to how deep your pockets are for a wakeboard boat!! Good Luck!
jzwake
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2005 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

but I have been told from other dealers that the boat will not feel as solid as a Malibu.

I highly doubt any dealer would tell you that your better off saving money by buying else where. They have to convience you that moomba is not worth paying 10-15K less for.

wu343, not directed at you but, why do people believe what dealers of brand X say about Brand Y???? it Kills Me.

the LSV I was on 2 years ago felt fine, not as plush as my boat or some othrs but well worth every penny the owner paid. The boat is still running strong.
________
WASHINGTON MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY

Last edited by jzwake on Mar 06, 2011 4:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dutch
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2005 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had an issue with my seats being too low. Actually, I've never even thought about that.

I've been really happy with my '03 Mobius LSV and it's for sale too:
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/9/6/78592696.htm
NC05LSV

City: FAYETTEVILLE

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moomba quality as far as the hull and engine is every bit as good as the higher priced models..........the seats and interior are not as nice as say a natique but it is a sound boat. I have driven malibus and mastercrafts and the moomba does not feel loose or perform much different.......actually, they were quite close. I love my Mobius and wouldnt change a thing. If I had the cash would I buy one of the higher end supras or natiques?........of course I would as would most if not all others. Moomba makes a fantastic product for the money and you cannot find a better boat to start off with. Anyone that insists on bashing you probably does it to justify their additional expenditure............in the end..........it is a boat............just a boat
Mobe789
Addict
Addict

City: North orlando/ Maitland

PostPosted: Apr 12, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we bought a mobius and LOVE IT, there is no sign of bad quality, over rollers its very solid too
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Webster

PostPosted: Apr 12, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't buy a Moombs BECAUSE of the low seats. I took some friends to see it before I decided, and they were like "man, that boat's a toy."

I bought a used Malibu instead.

But, for real, that's totally a personal thing, and it bothered me and my friends noticed it right away when they sat down. A lot of people obviously don't care about that, though.

Might not bother some people, but we come from an I/O background, where all our previous boats had much higher freeboard, so we were more comfortable in something with higher freeboard and seats.

Brit Rider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Cheshire, England

PostPosted: Apr 12, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like moombas and think they are awesome boats for the money.

but in response to the original question, i would agree to a degree with the 'other dealers'. Moombas that i have ridden and driven dont' feel the same quality wise as some more expensive competition. theres a little more noise through the hull. handling of the ls i was in didn't compare to that of a ski nautique. also the finish, trim and 'bells and whistles' is not quite as good. The same applies to the hull, it snot quuite as thick as you would find in a Mastercraft.

HOWEVER... at half the price (roughly 40-50% less expensive in the UK than their MC, nautique counterparts) you don't expect the same product (the old Ford versus BMW argument) for the money i think they cannot be beaten and if that was what my budget could afford, thats what i would drive and be very happy with it. Moombas are built to a price lower then that of some of the competition therefore you don't get some of the extras that they include. but still an excellent product. I'd recommend one anyday.

RickTinker

City: Maryville, Tennessee

PostPosted: Apr 12, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW,

The materials used in Moomba hull lamination and that used in a Supra are identical and are applied identically. Same Gelcoat, same hand laid Mats and Wovens,(no chop), Barrier Coat, Ceramic Core materials, same 1/2" flooring materials, foam filled stringers, etc. There is no cost savings achieved in how the lamination of the Moomba is done compared to a Supra and it is not made "cheaper" within our facility. As to Bells and Whistles..yes the Moomba has less standard equipment than a Supra and you have the option to add back what is important to you as a consumer. Hope that helps in some way.

Rick
Brit Rider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Apr 12, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickTinker, I find what you wrote very interesting, and it just goes to show, Moombas are great boats. I also respect the way that you come on these forums and give answers to what people write, especially with the amount of cr*p that i can be known to spout!

Just a small side note, I checked out a 2005 LSV the other day, owned by your English Dealer, Steve Stinton (Whom for the record i have been hugely impressed with, excellent guy and an asset to your dealer network. We have been interested in Skiers choice boats for some time and his hospitality/proffesionalism has been unmatched) I was VERY impressed with the boat and the subtle 05 changes. i.e. the rounded rear back rest in the aft seating and the Tower.

I also thought the vinyl was very impressive with improvements evident over the 04 models. I stand by the fact that I feel the ride in a Nautique is quieter and feels firmer when riding over wakes etc.. with less vibration. But still, for the money, your product is absolutly superb Cool

Furthermore to this, I checked out a supra SSV right along side the 04 Moomba LS Unfortunatly the supra hull was not quite suitable for our purpose (Ocean), therefore we went with a Nautique Super Air in the end, but still the supra was a very nicely built boat, which i felt was superior in several ways to the moomba (i.e. stiching on seats and general finishing) which i would expect for the extra money asked for the product. However, had Steve had a moomba XLV in the country at the time i would have been very interested to check that out - especially an 05.

On a final note, I'm aware the original question refered to Malibu, which is in my opinion a solidly built boat.. but to pick up on a point you touched on - does emply the chopper gun solution in the building process.

wu343, I really would encourage a test drive and from that you can draw your own conclusions based on experiance with other brands, such as MC, Nautique and Malibu.

DRAGON88
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Portland, OR

PostPosted: Apr 12, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brit Rider wrote:
On a final note, I'm aware the original question refered to Malibu, which is in my opinion a solidly built boat.. but to pick up on a point you touched on - does emply the chopper gun solution in the building process.

what?

Brit Rider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRAGON88, Sorry, I'll Try and make what i said a litle clearer. The typo i made should read 'employ' not 'emply'. And is trying to get to the fact that Malibu use a chopper gun in the construction process of their boat. My mistake.

Rick made a point that all Moombas and Supras are built with no chopper gun construction. where as Malibu do use some chopper gun construction. Theres some people out there, who feel using a chopper gun does not provide the strength in the finished product that hand laid Woven mat provides.

Just trying to claify his point for those that were not aware; whilst still maintaining that Malibu also builds a quality product.

Boomer
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Austin

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nautique uses chopper also, and talks about it on their web site. We all know they are the worst-built boats around, right? Rolling Eyes
Brit Rider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boomer, haha, point taken. But i am not in anyway knocking Malibu for this.. just making the point that many peoples opinion of chopper gun construction is not that great.

I would argue there are other reasons why a Nautique hull is stronger then a Malibu hull, such as the AME 5000 Resin used.

However, I've never ever seen a Malibu hull fail or deteriorate...

I'm thinking the minor point i made ontop of a stack of other things isn't going anywhere so i'll bail out now Rolling Eyes Laughing

Griff
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any opinions on the wake of '01 and '02 outbacks?
NC05LSV

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: OUTBACK WAKE Reply with quote

I have ridden behind an 02 Outback and it had a pretty nice wake. I think like with most boats it requires good weighting. Wake was a little steep like most moomba wakes but I personally like that. Hope this helps
wu343
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone heard of a Moomba hull failing? I also have another question. I have herd that people are getting quite a break on the LSV boats for price. I have herd of $35k boats going for $28k. Is the true? Is there that much markup on the Moomba boats?
Broccoli B
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Grand Rapids

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

base price on the LSV is $31995 i believe. That's with no options. You can probably pick one up somewhere for $28k. I would guess that this is a sellers market right now, not a buyers, so that would be tuff.

lcap wrote:
you assume that i assume that my assuming is wrong and assume your assumption therefore must be correct.
jburnside

City: Dearborn, MI

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our current boat is an '03 Outback LS which we've enjoyed very much and had absolutely no trouble with, but it was time to move into a V-drive so we shopped around looking at all the major manufacturers and we ended up right back where we started. Our local dealer and the Pres. himself, Rick Tinker worked with us at the Detroit Boat Show and we ordered a new Monius LSV. Use the Moomba website and "configure" your boat the way you like it and then expect to take 10 - 15% off when you work with a dealer. That's pretty much how my 2 purchases have gone with them.
wu343
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does the Moomba LSV compare to the entry level Centurion boats? They seem to be about the same price.
NC05LSV

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think that comparably set up V-drives from the two are near the same price.......I could be wrong but the V we looked at from Centurion was about 4K more than the comparable moomba. If you can get an LSV set up for 28k (tower, ballast, pp) then you should buy it for sure and resale it here in NC......they run about 34k loaded and that is a good deal...........
vawakemonster
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: fredericksburg

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I crawlled all over some of these at the boat show and they satisfied me, all I would worry about is the older ones, previous to 2000/2001, I've heard some not so good things about them

K-dub wrote:
......hell, even borrowing your mom's lotion and rubbing one out would be a good idea to pass some time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: