Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Bad Mountain Etiquite
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Mutt
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: San Francisco

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Bad Mountain Etiquite Reply with quote

So, I am a convert to boarding from skiing, and am just getting my good boarding feet under me. I would say I'm early stages of intermediate. I'm cruising down this run at Sierra which also happens to be the boardercross course. Now, the sign at the top of the hill says "beginner park", which doesn't mean anything except that there are some good people and some bad people on the run. So apparently everyone thinks that this is the finals for the X-Games because they are flying down the hill. I'm on a toeside turn away from the course, and some jack-off comes screaming in front of me yelling "watch out". I freak and try to turn, but caught my heelside and did a back-roll to spineplant. I am in pain. This just reminded me of the disdain I have for boarders (and skiiers but mostly boarders) who don't know the FIRST RULE OF THE MOUNTAIN: The downhill rider has the right of way, and you as the overtaking rider must maintain contol to avoid that person. I think it's mostly boarders who are like this because anyone with a long weekend can learn to board whereas skiing typically takes longer to teach so you don't get so many naive snowpeople on skis on intermediate or harder runs. Or maybe its because skiers are typically older folks and learned to be more courteous. Anyway, all you idiot bombers out there, you better be careful when boarding cause YOU ARE AT FAULT if you hit/hurt someone below you. A reason why I also hate helmets. Maybe if people weren't armored going down the hill they'd be a little more cautious and aware of what they are doing and board/ski within their ability to STOP.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger
WB_Kicks_SonyHC

City: Henderson

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now dont be dising on helmets i wear them i am caotious i dont jump till i know the person is out of the way and what nt helmets done make you invisable and thats why boarders wear them i wear minie so i dont hit my head on a rail or tree or rock sav ed me several times i have hit a tree hit a raill and have tumbled down probly a 75 degree drop or more so just cuz boarders have helmets doesnt mean they think thay can bomb down the hill...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dave W
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Rochester

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Mountain Etiquite Reply with quote

Mr. Mutt. I'm sorry that you encountered an inconsiderate boarder, but I would like to request that you avoid the generalizations. There are a lot of inconsiderate boarders out there, and there are also a lot of inconsiderate skiers out there. I have a feeling that there is a larger correlation between consideration (or lack of) and age than there is between consideration and whether you are standing sideways or face forward as you go down the hill.

Young punks will be young punks regardless of what they are riding down the mountain on.

Mr. Mutt wrote:
I think it's mostly boarders who are like this because anyone with a long weekend can learn to board whereas skiing typically takes longer to teach so you don't get so many naive snowpeople on skis on intermediate or harder runs.

I also totally disagree with this statement. I have seen many more beginning skiers who end up skiing recklessly out of control than I have boarders. On skis, if you are pointed in the right direction and don't know what you are doing, you can quickly become a high speed unguided downhill missle. Two skis naturally create a more stable stance than a snowboard does. On a snowboard, if you don't know what you're doing, in all likelihood you will end up falling down before you end up going all that fast.

Also, if you think that you can learn how to snowboard with any kind of skill on a long weekend, I can't help but question how comfortable you actually are on a snowboard. While I am not defending someone boarding out of control, I also wonder what the heck you were doing in an X-games boardercross course when you describe your ability as "just geting my good boarding feet under me".

Again, I am sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant experience, but I think it is a mistake for you to make the accusation that this behavior is substantially more prevalant among snowboarders than it is among skiers.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave W, I've been on this boarder-x course. It is by no means X-Games-esque.

I agree with you for the most part, but I think Mr. Mutt here is just frustrated and probably stuck taking ibuprofen for a while to deal with his back pain.

In general, people that hit up runs they don't belong on piss me off to no end. I absolutely HATE people that go into area marked "advanced riders only" and then spend the whole time on thier heelside edge (boarders) or make 1,000,000 turns down the hill (skiers).

Bottom line: if you are not sure that you can handle it, you probably can't. If you go there anyways, don't be pissed when I spray you as I fly by at mach 1.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
NorthwestRider
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Puyallup, WA

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Bottom line: if you are not sure that you can handle it, you probably can't. If you go there anyways, don't be pissed when I spray you as I fly by at mach 1.

Good call chavez

www.myspace.com/algebraicsatellite
^more new songs!
www.algebraicsatellite.com/blog
My Electronic Music.
pyrocasto
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: hendersonville

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad Mountain Etiquite Reply with quote

Dave W wrote:
Mr. Mutt. I'm sorry that you encountered an inconsiderate boarder, but I would like to request that you avoid the generalizations. There are a lot of inconsiderate boarders out there, and there are also a lot of inconsiderate skiers out there. I have a feeling that there is a larger correlation between consideration (or lack of) and age than there is between consideration and whether you are standing sideways or face forward as you go down the hill.

Young punks will be young punks regardless of what they are riding down the mountain on.

Mr. Mutt wrote:
I think it's mostly boarders who are like this because anyone with a long weekend can learn to board whereas skiing typically takes longer to teach so you don't get so many naive snowpeople on skis on intermediate or harder runs.

I also totally disagree with this statement. I have seen many more beginning skiers who end up skiing recklessly out of control than I have boarders. On skis, if you are pointed in the right direction and don't know what you are doing, you can quickly become a high speed unguided downhill missle. Two skis naturally create a more stable stance than a snowboard does. On a snowboard, if you don't know what you're doing, in all likelihood you will end up falling down before you end up going all that fast.

Also, if you think that you can learn how to snowboard with any kind of skill on a long weekend, I can't help but question how comfortable you actually are on a snowboard. While I am not defending someone boarding out of control, I also wonder what the heck you were doing in an X-games boardercross course when you describe your ability as "just geting my good boarding feet under me".

Again, I am sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant experience, but I think it is a mistake for you to make the accusation that this behavior is substantially more prevalant among snowboarders than it is among skiers.

I have seen more skiers out of control, more snowboarders being punks and unconsiderate(except the blades punks are rising up there too). Usually, it's the skiers cut me off on accident, and the snowboarders and blade-ers cut me off on purpose.(not trying to piss off boarders, just how it usually is around here)

I do think snowboarding is easier to learn than skiing, but for some reason, all the little kid skiers think they can go to the top, torpedo down, and take out as many people as they can. I havent seen any snowboarders(well 1, my friend) going super fast, flinging there arms around like newb skiers do though.

And, he said the top of the park said, "beginner park" Wink

At least 50% of the population is retarded so I discount what they think or feel automatically.
gotama176
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Columbus

PostPosted: Feb 01, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mutt, you are correct in stating that the downhill rider does have the right away. However, that being said, lets refrain from making some of these big generalizations about boarders or skiers. Chances are, whoever is pissing you off might just be an idiot, regardless of how they get down the mtn.

As far as the learning curve, the initial stages of skiing (wedge) are much easier to teach and learn in a wknd than what you need to accomplish with boarding. I have taught both, and while I consider myself a skier, I have taken to instructing snowboarding the past season. The wedge is comparable to the sideslip in boarding, however, many skiers can use the wedge to maneuver all over the mtn, where they shouldn't be. The reason we consider boarding a harder sport to learn in a wknd is because you need to be able to edge to really turn, toe and heel side. With skiing, some people never learn how to get up on their edges. Neutral

And the helmet thing.....only good things can come out of wearing one. Hopefully you progress quickly so you can hit up the BC and the big kid park so you don't have to worry about all the newbies.....then you just have to worry about people snaking your lines Evil or Very Mad Good Luck....

pyrocasto

PostPosted: Feb 01, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gotama176, that's why I wont teach anyone to snowplow. I teach all to switch up like you're suppossed to. If someone I'm with snowplows, they wont come back with me again, and I tell them that too. So far havent had one person snow plow. Very Happy

At least 50% of the population is retarded so I discount what they think or feel automatically.

PostPosted: Feb 01, 2005 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mutt, im also a beginner snowboarder and i kno where ur comine from i mean ill be going down the hill and some higher level border will come taring past me some times knocking me over it has happend more than once and they should be alittle more cautious of their surroundings and im not saying that they should stop having fun just be alittle more cautious of who is on the run and make sure that u are in control of ur bored. Mainly u are right skiers tend to me alittle curteous because it is usually older folks but where snowboarders its alot of the now generations and always having to be first but sonwboarders can be just as nice as skiers its just that many want to get to the park or down the run fast. Dont get me wrong snowboarding is alot of fun just if some could be alittle more aware
Liquidmx
Addict
Addict

City: San Jose

PostPosted: Feb 01, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude its a boardercross RACE track right(FYI if you step foot on a mx track and should not be their it would not be this pretty, just an example how other sports are the same way)? If thats the case I understand the flying by portion, but not the yelling portion. Sierra has had a lot of practices going on lately within closed courses you could have caught it on a day when their were a lot of racers without a course, or the course got closed early.

Anyways beside that point I think you might have ran into a lot of fast people on that course because the qualifying for x games boardercross was recently held in tahoe area. Everyone and their brother was probably hitting every boardercross park in tahoe to get prepared for the qualifiers.

As far as not belonging on in a terrain park my feelings are that you get one mistake of accidentally going down something way over your head, then its fair game.

AS far as the generalizations are concerned, get over it.

matt1808
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea i would probably say skiing is way easier. I could ski in control down black diamonds after a week, with no lessons just learing from my dad. snow boarding was a different story lets just say broken wrist.

and yea I agree that most skiers who make you mad are out of control, But I wouldnt say boarders try to piss people off.
finkle
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not biased toward skiers or riders. I cut just as many people off when I'm skiing or riding Wink
pyrocasto

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2005 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt1808, after a week most anyone should be able to do black diamonds. I was on them on my first day boaring here.(though east cost black diamonds arent exactly black diamonds if ya know what I mean)

gotama176
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Columbus

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhhh, might be able to do a black diamond, not that that they should.... I am assuming you are talking about someplace in the midwest or lower east?

Anybody can huck themself off a 75 ft. cliff, but that doesn't mean they are going to stick it Shocked

Last edited by gotama176 on Feb 28, 2005 9:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Dave W
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyrocasto wrote:
(though east cost black diamonds arent exactly black diamonds if ya know what I mean)

You're right. East coast black diamonds are sheets of ice.

Seriously though, I'm not all into east coast pride or anything, but I'll show you plenty of east coast black diamonds that will kick your a$$. Especially when your spoiled west coast butt has to deal with the icy conditions that most east coast riders consider "decent".

I'll take you to a 66 degree east coast black diamond if you want to show me how you west coast riders can handle anything the east coast has to offer. Rolling Eyes

Jay Dutton
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Park City, UT

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why the hell would you want to ride a 66 deg moguled up icy slope anyways? Sounds killer.
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll show you some west coast double blacks that can kill you, yeah, take that, what you got now east coast ice skater. Wink Laughing Laughing
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jryoung, I think a 66 degree moguled ice rink would probably kill you or at a minimum keep a radiologist busy for a few days. Shocked

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
Dave W
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, if anyone wants to pay for my airfare, room, and lift ticket, I would be more than happy to come out west and tackle any slope you don't think I can handle. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

ANY SLOPE! That includes moguls.

If you're going to pay my way, I'm up for anything. Wink

Bring on the helicopter backcountry while you're at it too. Very Happy Very Happy

pyrocasto

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2005 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave W, ahhaha. West coast spoiled butt? I live in North Carolina man. I know all of our black diamonds suck, and are Ice, and real moguls do not exist here. Snowshoe WV has a some, but that's all I can think of. To me, the ice is easier than pow, cause that's all I've ever skied. When I went to Whistler, the pow kicked my ass the first day. Laughing

Where are you talking about 66 degree ice + moguls? I've only been to snowshoe, winterplace, and Whistler outside of NC. Never been up north skiing or anything. Tell ya what though, Sugar mountain has a double black(apparently) that looks sick as hell from the lift, but it's never open at night, and that's the only time I've been there. Confused

I'm going tonight, and I hope it's not super icey at Wolf Laurel Confused

Dave W
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never said it was 66 degrees of moguls. Would anyone seriously want to do moguls on a 66 degree slope? Ski Denton in PA claims to have the steepest slope on the east coast measured at 66 degrees.

I brought up that slope, but probably shouldn't have. I've never been out west, but I can't help but think that there must be some terrain in New England that is somewhat comparable to out west. Either way, from what all the west coast guys on this site have to say about how you don't need to keep your edges sharp, I'd love to see how they do in icy conditions. I don't think it would take a black diamond around here to make them think twice about ripping on east coasters.

Either way though, if I had the option sure, I'd snowboard nowhere east of the Mississippi. But I also laugh at these guys who snowboard over 60 days per season who rip on east coast riders. Considering the number of pros who hail from the northeast, and the fact that snowboarding was pretty much invented in the northeast.... I'd think we would get at least a little respect. Wink

twitch88
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: up the hill, ca

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can ride ice too you know. I know it is hard to believe but water freezes here too! Any west coast rider that says they don't have to keep their edges sharp is mistaken, unless they just ride park all day.
Dave W
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twitch88 wrote:
I know it is hard to believe but water freezes here too!

I'm not arguing with that. I'm all about keeping my edges maintained no matter where I end up riding. But there are people who are probably spoiled by conditions much better than what I'm used to who claim that you don't need to sharpen your edges. I thought it was a little nuts, but hey, who am I to argue. I'm an east coast rider who obviously hasn't got a clue. Rolling Eyes

And yes, I've heard it from people on this web site too!

sperbet
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Truckee

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaper
Liquidmx
Addict
Addict

City: San Jose

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup there is probably a lot of Ice on the east coast, guess that sucks for you.
I will stay out west and enjoy it.

kkholiday

City: east lansing

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: sperbet Reply with quote

good call sperbet.
mellow24
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Tampa Bay Area

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never reply on here, but to the first topic of the thread, my reply is GET OVER IT, no need to hate on people that are doing there own thing,and that your skill level is not up to theres, yes people do get out of control, but think about it when you careen out of control, catch you edge making a huge turn across the whole groomer, and make someone else go down due to your lack of control! and I have ridden Sierra plenty, and there are more than enough areas, for you beginners to do your thing,
as to the age old battle of skiers, and boarders, well I must admit skiers are generally more out of control at first and the wrecks are more of where the term "yardsale" comes from because when they do wreck thier and there gear is all over the slopes, you did not get hurt or killed it seems, and to come on here and write a post such as that with no real basis but a bruised ego and a few other spots, remember this unfounded post, when you go rippin by the new guy and when you do get some skill, I would suggest a helmet because yes there are real dangers that can kill you out there besides your ego!

now for the east/west battle, now here is where it gets good, take note I am from FLORIDA, and sorry to say east coatsers, there is not one bit of terrain here that compares,not to say snowshoe,snow,killington,etc....are not nice fun, and can be challenging, but they will never measure up to size, altitude, and shear overall, massiveness that exist out west and into Canada yet the rest of the world, ist all snow, (sometimes) and its all fun, ride where you have the most fun...regardless....

oh yeah wear your helmet!
matt1808
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2005 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyrocasto, and i garuntee(sp.) you werent fully in control.
pyrocasto

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt1808, why wasnt I? Like I said, a black around here is a blue at a West coast resort. To me, snowboarding is ALOT easier than skiing, but that's personal opinion. Wink

numbfoot
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Bigfork, Montana

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k first of all... u guys who are saying skiers are nicer, shut up, ur wrong. anyone saying boarders r nicer (did anyone say that?) shut up, ur wrong too. skiing might be a little easier to learn, but they're pretty much the same. ok maybe not quite, but close enough. u don't need to keep ur edges sharpno matter what u ride... i've never had a problem. sorry if i'm spoiled cuz i get more pow than u... that's ur problem. that does suck that u got cut off or whatever, but it happens, deal with it. skiers are not nice than boarders, boarders are not nicer than skiers. some people are asses, some aren't, no matter how many boards they have strapped to their feet. there are gay 2 plankers, and there are gay boarders. there's no reason this thread should have been started.

wakeboardertj wrote:
numbfoot, hahah you ruthless whore. blame it on the fat girl. Nice... Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Blog Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
CHiLi DaWg
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Huntington, IN

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

A reason why I also hate helmets. Maybe if people weren't armored going down the hill they'd be a little more cautious and aware of what they are doing and board/ski within their ability to STOP.

I wear a helmet b/c I crashed out once and gave myself a concussion. I am pretty cautious when I ride a resort. I see as many problem of this sort from skiers as boarders. Most of it is because people take on more than they are capable of. As in reckless speed or trying to jump and slide everything in the terrain park. I hate it when people who can barely ride are taking on the terrain park. At least learn to ride down the hill without falling 1st.

numbfoot, is right about the people. There's buttholes on both sides.

pyrocasto

PostPosted: Feb 21, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

numbfoot, hey now, there is nothing wrong with us venting every once in a while.

Dont ruin our fun! Wink Mr. Green

Dave W
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Feb 21, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

numbfoot wrote:
u don't need to keep ur edges sharpno matter what u ride... i've never had a problem. does suck that u got cut off or whatever, but it happens, deal with it.sorry if i'm spoiled cuz i get more pow than u... that's ur problem.

Quite the intelligent response numbfoot. Rolling Eyes

That's cool. I'd love for you to bring your dull edges to where I ride and I could get a full day of laughs at your expense. Very Happy Very Happy

You're spoiled and that's exactly the point. I'm not, and yes, it's my problem. Congrats on the wonderful post captain obvious. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

cezza
Addict
Addict

City: Hamilton, New Zealand

PostPosted: Feb 21, 2005 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think skiing sucks!!- they are so annoying!! especially in the lift lines-they stample all over your board and dig their poles here and there and on your board!! ive seen way more crazy stupid skiiers than boarders!! yeh they can go bigger and higher but who cares boarding is way more styler and we can do endless tricks on rails unlike skiiers...some might disagree with me but thats the truth for me Twisted Evil

* no i dont smoke
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Dave W
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Feb 22, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cezza wrote:
they are so annoying!! especially in the lift lines-they stample all over your board and dig their poles here and there and on your board!!

Yeah, that gets annoying. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Snowboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Add To Favorites

Jump to: