Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Batwing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BR_WB
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2003 6:21 am    Post subject: Batwing Reply with quote

Ok, I'm thinking about learning a batwing this summer because of what I was doing yesterday on the tramp. I started out just doing a floaty indy and letting it drift slightly behind me. Then after 10 minutes, it was a full on batwing, I was grabbing it and it was about a foot over my head, about 10 foot up on the tramp. I figured this out because I realized I have to keep my arm bent, because it acts like a pivot and I don't stretch it out because that is what brings me back down. I was thinking about learning it exactly how I learned it on the tramp, start out with a floaty indy, take it to a tweaked crail, and than build it up to a batwing. Has anybody or do you know anybody that has learned it like this??? I think it might work.
Later,
Brad
doinflipsdavis
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: SML VA

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2003 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's how i learned it! you kind of have to build up to it. i started with a big indy grab then let it go out behind me more and more. it only took one set out to learn it like this. i also applied the seat belt grab to a batwing, it looks awesome, definitely try that
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BigTimer
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Rockford, MI

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fo Shizzle. That is the absloute best way to learn a Batwing. Just think of it as a floaty indy grab and then gradually let it out behind you. Try it off the D-up and take it huge. More time=further behind you. Good Luck!
BR_WB
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2003 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davis:
It only took you one set to learn it!! Did you work on it on the tramp at all? How many times did you have to float it before you had an all out batwing? I always thought that I would never try a batwing, but after yesterday on the tramp I realized I could do it.Tell me how you approach it whatnot. How big of a cut/approach were you taking at it at first and now??? How do you set up???
Later,
Brad
doinflipsdavis
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had done it a few times on the tramp the summer before but it broke the beginning of last summer so i didn't really use it any. i worked up to it over a period of probably 20 minutes. (enough to give me "tennis elbow" for about a week, that sucked) you work up to your cut just like you work up do letting it out behind you in the air. when i was able to do a full out batwing i was cutting out almost as far as i could and taking a very progressive cut in. you want to stand tall at the wake and get the most pop possible. building up to it from smaller tweeked grabs helps out with the timing on it. i also found that the farther i grabbed toward the nose of my board the farther i could throw it out. ex. its easier to grab it crail and throw it back there than to grab it indy. hope this helps
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
BigTimer
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Rockford, MI

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's mentally just like a Raley. It takes some balls to give it a try, but once you try it, you discover that it's really not that hard. Physically, the trick is simple, mentally it is extremely difficult. The falls hurt, but isn't it worth it? Just be sure you have a good TS W2W, with plenty of hang time. Oh yeah, most importantly, do not let the rope all the way out like a HS Raley. keep the handle in close and kind of look down through the handle. Well not really, because if you look down, you will go down, but get the handle to the position where you could look down through it if you wanted to. You dig? Hopefully you can make some sense of this jargon.
Later...
doinflipsdavis
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2003 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well put, its all about balls, not hard at all
BR_WB
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2003 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll just look like 10 feet ahead of me like on the tramp. Yea, on the tramp, my elbow is locked the whole til I bring it down. It really has a pendulum feeling affect on the tramp, is it the same feeling as it is on the water? I'm sure I'll get it in one set as soon as get back out on the water. I won't be afraid metally after doing about 20 crails that, how does that sound hahaha. I really appreciate ya'll's advice.
later,
brad
doinflipsdavis
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you'll still feel the pendulum effect to a point but not as great as on the trampoline, there's much more resistance behind the boat
Jim M
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2003 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Brad, this is more strength related than trick related, but I got a great bicept workout for you that will help your air control. I tried it for the first time two days ago and it worked me over- 9 sets each arm w/ 3 preacher curls, 3 incline curls, and 3 standing curls. 8 reps each round, and only once a week. You can abbreviate it for a second day if you want to fit it in twice a week, but the trick is to hit the full workout at least once a week.
J_DOGG
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: New Hampshire

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2003 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got's ta add the look back.... add's mo style...

I started doing them the same exact way, behind the boat though. Unfortunately I'm still in the middle some place between big floaty Indy and full blown Batwing....Either way it's a cool feeling trick and looks super cool, I think...

I've had a few HS method grabs that felt like I was doing a hoochie but the boys brought me back to earth and explained I really didn't have my feet high enough just out behind me.

Some times it's fun just to take the same old trick and work it over a bit into a whole new style of what you did before...You seldom go back to the way you originally did it, I like progression aspect of doing it that way.

PEACE
BR_WB
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2003 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,
Thanks for the info. I have been lifting since December 1st to boost my strength. I shouldn't have a problem, I've got my bench up to 215, and I do all the bicep exercises that you do- 12,10,6,8 w/ 30,35,40,45 dumbbells, anything else you can think of? I know I'm going to throw down a batwing this summer.
Later,
Brad
BR_WB
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2003 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim:
Oh yea, we need to hook up and ride this summer, you're in Nashville right? I'm also working on a video.
J-Dogg:
I'm trying to think of all the variations of it I can do once I get it dialed: grabs/styel/progression. I wonder if these same principles on the tramp would work on an indy glide???
Later,
Brad
Blabelmooch
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: San Diego

PostPosted: Feb 02, 2003 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been working on these for a few weeks now. The only one that the board went all the way back on resulted in pain! I couldn't get the board back down and I landed on my back about 10 feet out in the flats. I felt my you know whats in the backl of my throat. I didn't think I'd be having as much trouble with this trick but I guess I have to be patient.

Besides standing tall is there anything you have to think about (body position especially) during the trick?
doinflipsdavis
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2003 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cant helpt with proper body position, all that stuff confuses me. i've seen 50 different people take 50 different types of cuts into the wake for this trick. just make sure you've got a lot of tension (load the line) on the line when you hit the wake
George
Addict
Addict

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanna try a batwing to but should i learn a t/s raley first...I got h/s raleys but yeah should i learn a t/s raley before a batwing.

www.soddyriders.tripod.com
Phil
Addict
Addict

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad i posted that on my brothers user name
Wakeboardumb
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Charlotte, NC

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2003 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just thought i would randomly post this pic
http://www.angelfire.com/d20/mwpcrew/billybatwing1.jpg
J_DOGG

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mean looking batwing yo... looks good....

I would have to jump off the roof to get that high....

Have you and flip made any more tramp vids? if so I need to see....

PEACE

Aubs wrote:
J Dogg - I thought of you last night.

"Everyone wants a bite, it don't happen over night"!
tommygh

City: Norway

PostPosted: Mar 06, 2003 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have some clips on the trampoline on our website www.x-brett.tk or you can just click here:

http://home.no.net/xbrett/FILES/PIC/VIDEO/TOMMYWHIRLY.avi
http://home.no.net/xbrett/FILES/PIC/VIDEO/EGILBAT.avi
http://home.no.net/xbrett/FILES/PIC/VIDEO/TOMMYCROWM.avi
http://home.no.net/xbrett/FILES/PIC/VIDEO/TOMMYRAYLEY.avi

We also have footage of slim chance and of axis spins and a lot more... They will come soon!! Very Happy

So check out our site in the future.....www.x-brett.tk
J_DOGG

PostPosted: Mar 11, 2003 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks good thanks.....

PEACE

Aubs wrote:
J Dogg - I thought of you last night.

"Everyone wants a bite, it don't happen over night"!
jumalian
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: san diego

PostPosted: Mar 13, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this considered a batwing?

joe101.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  76.47 KB
 Viewed:  24853 Time(s)

I'm thinking some island. And Alaska is not a choice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KG
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Cali

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jumalian- sweet man. that's considered a batwing. what lake is that at? It looks kinda like Shasta.
x2xwakegurlx2x

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2003 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can do a TS Raley of a kicker (cable) would it be hard to learn a batwing? how would i do it, like how would i throw it, if i were to try one?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: