Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Can they take your skateboard?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fredrick Eisenhauer
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Australia, W.A

PostPosted: Apr 02, 2004 7:35 am    Post subject: Can they take your skateboard? Reply with quote

If I am skating at a shop and they threaten to take my skateboard if they catch me doing it again can they? Because I am pretty sure they can't but I'm checking anyway.
Now I'm not about to go around being disrespectful to all the shop keepers around here but I'm wondering if the law lets them.

Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Boston

PostPosted: Apr 02, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They can't unless you let 'em. Cops on the other hand, can & will. Shopowners usually just tell you to get lost.
Fredrick Eisenhauer
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 03, 2004 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not about to let them take it, but I usually respect there decision or what ever. Thanks.
Addict
Addict

City: Ephrata, WA

PostPosted: Apr 03, 2004 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found their are two ways to deal with situations like this one is to hire "big black" Rob Dydrek's security guard, or you can work out everyday and get huge like Mike Vallely and scare the stuff out of them like in cky4... or just be respectful and leave.
Fredrick Eisenhauer
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 04, 2004 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they'd find a 15yo scary. Very Happy
Addict
Addict

City: cambridge, ontario

PostPosted: Apr 04, 2004 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just leave and pretend you see why you shouldn't be skateboarding there. then just go back after. They could call the cops tho. most of the people just tell me to leave or they will call the cops but they never do.
DWKsnaeb
Criminal
Criminal

City: lawrenceburg

PostPosted: Apr 07, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wondered that. if theres no signs what makes them think there authorized to. Nowadays most of society is on a power trip

CONCUSSED THREADZ
for riders, from riders

CONCUSSEDTTHREADZ.COM
Fredrick Eisenhauer
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 08, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is there land. It'd be like you kicking someone off your land.
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: up the hill, ca

PostPosted: Apr 08, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWKsnaeb, they are just trying to protect themselves. they always tell me that if i was to get hurt or hurt someone else while on their property that they could be held liable. and with all the suing that is going on nowadays i could see their concern, so i usually just leave and either go skate somewhere else or go back when they are closed.
Fredrick Eisenhauer
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 09, 2004 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its pretty pathetic, I mean if your skating and you hurt yourself its stupid how you can sue them.
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: up the hill, ca

PostPosted: Apr 10, 2004 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is very stupid and i would never even think of doing it but there are people out there that would.
dumassonwheels89
Addict
Addict

City: North Of Houston

PostPosted: Apr 10, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I broke my arm skating at a friend's house and it was his fault because he built this rail and it broke which threw me forward and snapped my arm. I didn't sue him or even think about it but do you think their are people who would? I always hear about people saying they wouldn't but there are people that would but who has seen someone actually sue?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Fredrick Eisenhauer
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 12, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres just risks you hafta take, and things like what dumbassonwheels encounted come with the territory really, the only time I would sue I reckon is if someone intentionally hurt me and it put me in hospital.
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Apr 12, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think its just the fact that you can sue them which it mainly is but look at the bottom of a stairset that has been skated a lot you'll where it has chiped out the cement in small pieces and ledges that have been waxed start to chip up and the companys dont want their business to look like that. I dont agree with them but I understand where they are coming from.
Fredrick Eisenhauer
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 12, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I was outside a business just doing some freestyle and they asked me to leave. Wasn't abusing anyone nor was I in anyone's way. I think there a little paranoid.
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Apr 12, 2004 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah probably, I think skateboarding fits right in their with sex, drugs, rock and roll, and other things that are asociated with the devil.
Fredrick Eisenhauer
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 12, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it seems like my own house is the only spot I can skate where I don't have to worry about anything.
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Bigfork, Montana

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes me mad because this lady who owns a bookstore near here always comes out and yells at me if i ride my bike or skate on the sidewalk. Aren't you legally a pedistrian if ur skating???

Anywho, at our school we can't skate anymore because a dumby wumby skater broke a window. We haven't had a skatepark within 1/2 hour of here until this year. Before the only one we had was an hour away and sucked. We just got a new all cement park but it's tiny. I still haven't gotten out to it.

wakeboardertj wrote:
numbfoot, hahah you ruthless whore. blame it on the fat girl. Nice... Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Blog Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
DWKsnaeb
Criminal
Criminal

City: lawrenceburg

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2004 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i guess there just tryin not to be sued but they shouldn't be allowed to take your board by any means. Another thing if the store is like an outlet mall or a strip of stores connected do they actually own the the sidewalks and the parking lot if not wouldnt the landlord have to come tell you to not skate?

CONCUSSED THREADZ
for riders, from riders

CONCUSSEDTTHREADZ.COM
Se7en
Addict
Addict

City: Somewheresville

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2004 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vip20882000 wrote:
Its pretty pathetic, I mean if your skating and you hurt yourself its stupid how you can sue them.

Yes, but everyday people sue supermarkets for falling on obviously marked wet floors, sure it sucks, but it still happens.

Fact is, if the owner is nice enough to come and ask you to leave, do it, no sense in giving the guy a hard time, esepcially when he's only watching out for his best intrest and not just being a hard ass on a power trip.
Se7en
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWKsnaeb wrote:
well i guess there just tryin not to be sued but they shouldn't be allowed to take your board by any means. Another thing if the store is like an outlet mall or a strip of stores connected do they actually own the the sidewalks and the parking lot if not wouldnt the landlord have to come tell you to not skate?

Those who own/rent the space actually do incur the legal right to remove someone from the parking lot/sidewalk, especially if they are endangering others or themselves.
Fredrick Eisenhauer
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arn't the paths owned by your local government? Everyone is suing some one for something. Its quite pathetic when people sue McDonalds for making them fat. Rolling Eyes
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2004 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vip20882000 wrote:
Arn't the paths owned by your local government? Everyone is suing some one for something. Its quite pathetic when people sue McDonalds for making them fat. Rolling Eyes

I actually just got done with a case similar to this in my Legal Litigation class. Usually, through most rental contracts with strip malls and the like, the store fronts and surrounding property are incurred through the lease, which then gives the shop owners the right to control that part of the property to keep the "landlords" safe. In the contract agreements, tennants agree to "own" a section of the property, usually starting from one end of the store to the other and streatching out until the reachs another owners land.

If I fell and broke my leg in front of a blockbuster or KFC, techincally I could legally sue them for damages, assuming I had a case.

The case we jsut went over last week dealth with a KFC and a pot hole, happened back in '97. The "victim" was awarded $500,000 and the KFC had to show the court pictures and evidence showing the pot hole had been filled in, other wise they would've been fined and additional $25,000.
Straight Edge
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Muskoka

PostPosted: Apr 24, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grab your board and make haste.. don't let them take it..
unlawfulsessioner
Criminal
Criminal

City: The SRQ

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: take your board Reply with quote

a freind of mine and i were skatin at this local spot and a rent-a-cop tried to take my freinds board and we wrestled him for it but he got it and called the cops. we both got trespassing warents. oh well. we werent about to let him take the board without a fight.
freerider4
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Jul 16, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can't even skate our downtown if we do we get a 50 dollar fine from the cops and that is the only place to skate besides the park.
colt45
Criminal
Criminal

City: dallas

PostPosted: Oct 18, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah they cant take your board.....your on a board with wheels and there on there feet, who do you think would be faster?? lol....or just pull a mike valley on them hoes
craft
PrincessKitty

City: College Station, Texas

PostPosted: Oct 19, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the community should take an active role and build a skate park. I live in College Station and they have one right by where I live and it serves multiple purposes....

*gives skates a place to skate - build rails and ramps and all kinds of other things to jumps on Razz
*keeps the skaters legal and give them somethere to keep them off other people property
*and is just a kick a$$ thing to do Laughing

midwest wake
Addict
Addict

City: Middleton

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there was acctuly a website simialr to waht your saying but it had mor intention of a skatepark. i forgot the site but this is what they said.

build a park that allows skating. not a skake park. when you wonder why people go street skating is because the skateparks aren't eneough fun after a while. while in street ther's somthing differnt. put stairs ledges trees handrails, cememted in garbage cans, and a grassed area aroud it for picnicing. this alltogether would make a better park.

i think ti's is a great idea. you no longer have the dark cold looking skatepark but a nice park that allows skatboarders and roller bladers to troam around in. sure after a while it won't look as clean but while it's there it helps promote more tourims too. well at least some that isn't as divided. the parents want to go to a park, kids want to skate.. one place. paretns or little kids don't intrupt the bigger kids skating. (we have 4year olds rolling up the pyramid and up a quater pipe that just won't move) if they wat to take a break. they can picnic in the grass. to me i think it's a win win situation.
Elevation
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Clarendon Hills

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

midwest wake, sounds like a sweet idea to me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Skateboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: