Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

holding on......

View previous topic :: View next topic  
w$r az style
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Arizona

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2003 8:41 pm    Post subject: holding on...... Reply with quote

i have a question. when i get really big air, like off the double up or when i do 180s or try 360s i find myself not wanting to take my hand off the handle to do grabs until i land.. in other words i feel more comfterable holding on with both hands in the air when i go really big. but i dont want to hold on with both hands in the air. i want to grab it and tweak it.what should i do to help get priy my hand off in the air. its weid cuz when i get normal air or dont cut as hard i can do sick grabs.and ideas or am i just a weird guy with this problem.? thanks alot lata
bluefish86
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Ottawa

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2003 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just have to get used to only holding on with one hand. Force yourself to let go with one hand, but dont do anything with it, just hold on with the other and land. Do this until you are comfortable getting big air with only one hand, then you can try some grabs and stuff. I had the same problem, only with normal w2w jumps, and that helped me a lot.
Sean_Brinston
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Alliston Ontario

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mabee if you have a trampoline practice with it and your rope. good luck
BlindSide
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: a house, texas, wakeboarding in the Gulf

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2003 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grab the rope on land, and just practice handle passes, u dont need to jump in the air at first or the trampoline. just practice em, then u will fill good and warm inside next time u go out!
Jim M
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Practice doing heelside jumps and let go w/ your back hand as soon as you leave the wake. Keep it tight to your hip so the handle won't pop out when you land. If you are still having trouble feeling it, practice slapping the water with your back hand when you land. That is a good method of learning to land anyway, it helps you to relax and absorb the landing. After you get feel of w2w jumps w/ one hand, grabs will start to come very naturally.
J_DOGG
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: New Hampshire

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2003 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds a little like you are getting pulled off balance a bit and not wanting to let go with that other hand is just a natural reaction to keep yo self from taking a hard painful landing. My initial suggestion would be to progress to bigger and bigger jumps at a much slower pace going further out into the flats each time. You need to condition your mind to know when you are in balance or out of balance with out worrying how big you are going.

You can get off balance on little W2W jumps just as easy, it just doesn't happen cuz you have progressed from nothing to that. The same concept applies to going big, you need to slow down a bit and take smaller steps to get there.

Always stay in control so you can grab but take it a LITTLE bigger each time...that would be my suggestion.

You know Rome wasn't built in a day.

PEACE

Aubs wrote:
J Dogg - I thought of you last night.

"Everyone wants a bite, it don't happen over night"!
w$r az style
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Arizona

PostPosted: Mar 08, 2003 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks alot to everyone. this all sound good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: