Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Avid editing q?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nick e[V]ans
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: brissie, Australia

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2004 7:50 pm    Post subject: Avid editing q? Reply with quote

i tried searching but couldn't find what i was after.

as part of my uni course i'm doing a media production subject and will be using avid for editing. not exactly sure what version, i haven't had a play with it at all. just wondering if anyone could give me a general jist of what its all about. i've never digitally edited before.

nothing to detailed, just helpful hints.
thanks in advance
nick

JamesWatts
Addict
Addict

City: Santa Monica

PostPosted: Aug 24, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a general jist? uhh. you take video put it in the computer. move the clips around and export it..

if you are using avid and you want to get a feal of how the program works. just to be one up. check out http://www.avid.com/freedv/ you can download a free version. everything in this has all the same concepts of any higher version of avid.

Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Belfast

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2004 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for BBC Northern Ireland as a broadcast Engineer.
In my opinion Avid is the best Non linear Editing system - non linear because you can go back to an edit at any time an slip/slid insert delete etc... at any time unlike linear tape to tape editing where patchup work is more difficult.
Avid offer a range of products from the free download version, DV express, DV express pro, media composer, Adrenalin, symphony and the list goes on. The more expensive Avids are 50K.
You can buy Avid express DV pro for around $1500 or if your concience allows you download it and run the crack for free.
Just like any non linear editing system it is a fairly simple setup which is done in 3 stages

1 Capture/Digatise - hook up your camera with firewire lead to the PC/MAC. Avid will allow control of the camera in playback mode. Control and video data are all done using the firewire cable.

2 Edit material - Once all material is captured in 1 you can edit it. Avid comes with a bunch of different types of edit including mixes, wipes and other DVEs. The title tool allows overlaying of titles and graphics, scrollering and crawling. You can also colour correct poor shots. Avid has different built in layouts which can be modified to suit you personnal taste but essentially you will want a play window on left side of monitor and record window on right. You will mark in and out points on the play side and use the transfer (overwrite/insert) button to move the selection to the record window. A time line below the play/record windows lets you see all of your edits as you build up your project. You can simply set different wipes mixes DVEs on the edits on the timeline.

3 Digi Cut - Once you have completed your video and audio editing in 2 you can lay it back to the camera via firewire lead.

If your machine has a DVD burner it is fairly straight forward to write a DVD of your project.

This is still fairly basic but if you really need more email me andrew.dick@bbc.co.uk

RD
Addict
Addict

City: Discovery Bay

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2004 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can thank Apple for forcing Avid to lower the cost of their products, if it was up to them all NLE's would still be hardware based, cost 50k+ and be only in post houses and TV stations like Andy's! That's the one to learn though if you're going to do this for a living!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: