Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Prop won't spin in neutral

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Juice75
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Austin

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2004 6:39 am    Post subject: Prop won't spin in neutral Reply with quote

Should your prop spin easily by hand when the boat isn't running and in neutral?

I was trying to change my prop this weekend, and I had to use both hands and a lot a force to get the prop to spin. I thought it was supposed to spin freely? Is the shaft being tight causing any problems, or is this normal.

My boat's an 89 Supra Comp (DD).

Leggester
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2004 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about direct drives and the shafts.

outboard drives spin freely though.

chaz28o
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: East Contra Costa County

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2004 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you prop should spin without too much effort

Check your motor mounts - and you'll see that you can "adjust" where your engine sits on the mounts

Loosen them, and get the engine to move on the mounts

Now have someone at the prop, and have them turn the prop, while you slide the engine from side to side

Tighten the engine at the point where the prop spins the easiest - you're supose to use feeler gauges and get it exact, but it all the years I had a DD, the above method worked good enough

If sliding the engine from one side to the other has no effect on how easily your prop turns, then you have a problem, possibly a bent shaft or strut
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Webster

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2004 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't this what bad transmission allignment is all about? Isn't this what you check for when you check the alignment on your transmission and your shaft?
chaz28o
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup - unless there's damage to the shaft or strut, and you're supose to break out the gauges and get it exact

I've found that simply getting the engine aligned with the shaft worked well enough

Especially sine Juice75's is sooooo far out of alignment

Will it be perfect? No..... Will it be better? Way Better Wink
tommyadrian5
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2004 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, could be a bad strut bearing too, you haven't accidentally run the boat in gear out of the water or anything right?

try spraying some lubricant (wd-40, 656) onto the shaft so it slides into the shaft bearing, if it gets easier to turn, that could be your culprit, its not a fix, rather a diagnosis if it turns out true
Juice75
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2004 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaz28o wrote:
If sliding the engine from one side to the other has no effect on how easily your prop turns, then you have a problem, possibly a bent shaft or strut

Thanks chaz28o - I don't think the shaft is bent because there isn't any vibration. I'll try aligning the engine and see if that helps.

Thanks again.

Juice75
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2004 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommyadrian5 wrote:
yea, could be a bad strut bearing too, you haven't accidentally run the boat in gear out of the water or anything right?

try spraying some lubricant (wd-40, 656) onto the shaft so it slides into the shaft bearing, if it gets easier to turn, that could be your culprit, its not a fix, rather a diagnosis if it turns out true

Nope, haven't ran the boat in gear out of the water. Since this is my first boat, I've got a stupid question. Where's the strut bearing? Is the strut the piece that supports the shaft just in front of the prop?

miked
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: nor cal

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2004 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no the shaft should not turn by hand easily.on all 3 of my direct drives it would not turn easily.the cutless bearing [the bearing in the strut form] needs water to lubricate it.that is why you don't put your boat in gear with the engine running when the boat is not in water.the rubber that is in the bearing gets dry and sticks to the shaft.
prestige
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Kelowna

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that bearing need any maintenance? I've often wondered if it needed a lube or does it only use water for lubrication?
tommyadrian5
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

prestige, no, as long as it is wet, it is fine, it uses the water flow through it (which is high because it is directly in the thrust aspect of the propeller) to lubricate itself, and cool itself, its just metal on metal

before i stored my boat for my 1 year expatriate adventure, i sprayed down the shaft and strut(cutlass) bearing with crc-656, i turned the prop to make sure i got some inside and kept spraying to coat the inside, and after a few seconds of getting lube in there the prop would turn freely enough to spin a few times after a good initial spin

the cutlass bearing can go bad however, a slightly out of true prop will eventually wear one down, it happened on my dads sea ray, and the bearing itself fell out, and the shaft started banging around in the strut
DJew Jake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Toronto

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2004 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy is right, int he water the prop will spin easily dry on the lift it wont.
Nauty
Addict
Addict

City: Lake Dallas

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being the paranoid boat owner that I am I got a little worried after reading this thread since my prop does not easliy turn when dry. Therefore, I called Correct Craft and spoke to one of their engineers.

They confirmed what MikeD and Tommy said. The prop will not turn easily when the shaft is dry, but it will turn. He said that when they are checking boats to make sure there are no vibrations and that everything is aligned correctly, they spray some WD40 on the shaft just above the shaft strut. They said once the rubber bushings are lubricated the prop should turn freely. He said if it doesn't then you may have a problem.

tommyadrian5
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done (calling CC) its always good to get the "absolute knowledge" answer to confirm, and as always, glad i was right

i didn't realize there was rubber in there, i though it was just wetlubed metal
chaz28o
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chaz28o wrote:
Yes, you prop should spin without too much effort
I never said easily, I said without too much effort. And on all my DD boats (I've had 3 inboards) I've always dialed in my alignment using the method I wrote here, and all my props turned, simply grabbing it with one hand, and turning it. Not "easy" but not hard at all

FWIW - the prop on my 208 (VD) turns with one hand too
DiyGuy
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Aug 31, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should check the shaft packing nut as well. If it is too tight, it gets very hot and expands. When it cools since the packing is sort of waxey, it may stick.

Mine doesn't free wheel, but there is a little resistance when turning. It was set by the shop and they told me (and showed) what it should 'feel like'.

I wouldn't touch the Metric system with a 3.048m pole!
Nauty
Addict
Addict

City: Lake Dallas

PostPosted: Sep 01, 2004 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI.....

I put Correct Craft's advice to the test. Last night I sprayed the shaft (near the strut) with some WD40. Once lubricated the prop spun fairly easily.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: