Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

advice on a black/white film

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2004 5:54 pm    Post subject: advice on a black/white film Reply with quote

so i need more film for my camera. ive used tri-x 400 a bunch before in a photo class i took a year ago, but i was wondering if there was anything else i should check out that might look better/different.

i will be using this to shoot at two different locations: wakeboarding (mostly at the delta), and also around my school in the evenings/night. im not really looking for one film to do both, but instead for some advice on what type of film i might use to shoot each of these locations.

any help from you photo guys would be greatly appreciated...

WakeBoardingManiac
Addict
Addict

City: Montréal

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never used it personally but heard about Ilford HP5+

I suggest you take a look at the film and processing forum of photo.net

http://www.photo.net/bboard/forum?topic_id=1822

Mike Isler

City: New York

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott a, as WakeBoardingManiac said, Ilford HP5 is very nice film, as well as Ilford FP4.

Kodak has a number of very good films...TriX is OK, but I prefer TMax.

Another thing you might want to play around with is processing the film through the DR5 process. This will give you transparencies instead of negatives, and the film has a very unique look to it. Josh Letchworth uses this process for most of his B&W shots in the magazines.
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott a, I got my pics back from the weekend at disco. We'll have to hook-up so you can check them out. BTW I shot Ilford HP5, it is great quality for the price and usually they are running a manufacturers special.
aceyx
Addict
Addict

City: dirty

PostPosted: Aug 24, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hp5+ is a very standard b&w. you'll have to play around a lot under the enlarger to really get what you want but it has a lot of latitude if you're bunking around with exposure and speed. i'll usually shoot at 320, process for 400.

fp4 i usually only use for portraits. grays are amazing, excellent detail, needs to be processed a little longer to get really dense blacks.

tri-x is awesome. grainy, but you can push it to 800 without losing anything except a little contrast. i've shot it at 1600 as well and again, you lose some of your tones.

i never had the patience to get t-max to work right for me. it's extremely accurate, but bland unless your shots are composed well (lighting). little room for error, which is why i didn't use it often. above are the three films i used regularly.

for wakeboarding, the CN film will give you pretty good results as well. for some reason, i've found the consumer grade b&w C-41 works better than the pro. but why not just shoot color, scan it and desaturate?

for night shots, if you're using a tripod the fp4 will do awesome. if handheld stills, hp5+/tri-x. if they're action shots, tri-x pushed will give you some cool results. the CN stuff will get you really flat pictures in low light.

what's the end result? gonna scan or process it yourself?
Josh R
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Melbourne, Australia

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2004 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just heard Ilford has gone broke. They are in receivership... Not cool.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: