Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Getting started

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssrgeoff
Addict
Addict

City: So Cal

PostPosted: Aug 08, 2004 10:11 am    Post subject: Getting started Reply with quote

I currently have a Sony Hi-8 camera analog with alot of footage that I would like to make into some home movies. Eventually I will sack up and get a new digital camcorder but for now I was told I can get a video card that would convert Hi-8 to digital using a RCA connector? Albeit, not the best quality but it would be a start. Anyone recommend or have any information on this? Which editing software would you recommend for someone who is just starting or do the card and editing software come together?
garveyj
Addict
Addict

City: Savage, MN

PostPosted: Aug 08, 2004 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a card that Dazzle makes - they say it converts it to digital - but I had one and it did not do a very good job. However the one that i got was $70 it was a USB connection one that came with some editing software, although I never used it. You may want to look into it though - since you are not expecting the best quality you do not have much to lose.

The biggest problem I had was converting it to a DVD. The program you use for that will make a huge difference. I used a much more advance program for my last one (Adobe Encore DVD). The quality on that was really good from the HI-8 camcorder, but when I used Roxio easy DVD it really sucked - the quality was sooooooo bad that you could not even make out the riders in the video.

I would also recommend Pinnacle Studio ($100). It is a really easy editor to use, but if you have windows XP, there is an editor on that one already that comes with it.

ssrgeoff
Addict
Addict

City: So Cal

PostPosted: Aug 08, 2004 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I do have XP. In fact I started playing around with it this afternoon. Labelled windows movie maker. Again, not great but it gives me time to learn some editing skills. I do have some video recorded from my digital Sony camera but I think an actual digital camcorder will be the way to go soon.
simland
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Minneapolis

PostPosted: Aug 09, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinacle Studio is good. They make one for Analog cams. (it also works with digital when you upgrade cams) You get their movie box that allows for you to plug your camera into it and then it feeds the video to the computer via USB. The quality can be as good as your camera can record and as good as you have space for on your computer.

I do it all!
novice04

PostPosted: Aug 24, 2004 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have Pinacle Linx, it jsut hooks up to a usb and then to you camera or tv are whatever with AV cables. Cost my about $40 i think. And it came with studio SE, but that sucks if you ask me bc the SE doesnt allow slo-mo and some other things, not to mention it always freezes up on me. But for jsut changing analog to digital, i think its good
BrandonC
Addict
Addict

City: Murrieta

PostPosted: Aug 24, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find an 8mm off a friend that probably has DV out. My brother has a little older sony I was able to put my 8mm tapes in then zap into the PC. The MiniDV cam I have now there is no way to get the older 8mm into it since I dont have A/V in only out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: