Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Pop, Westside style????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WakeMeUp
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Sherbrooke, Qc

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 8:12 am    Post subject: Pop, Westside style???? Reply with quote

on what should I concentrate to get a high and floaty pop of the wake... if you can give me some hints or just little things to think about I'd be very thankful... I'm not thinking about board shape or rocker or even wake height or shape, but only technical tips to the approach and pop...
suckmywake
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Thunder Bay

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read about progressive edge on the home page of wakeboarder.com.
WakeMeUp
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there must be something more than just progressive edge
bluefish86
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Ottawa

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really. A progressive edge and standing tall at the wake is all you need. Something else that might help is when you're carving in, don't think of it as carving towards the wake, but think of it as trying to rip the tower off of your boat. This helps because it's not speed you need, but rope tension.
Sean_Brinston
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Alliston Ontario

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On that note, Make sure you are using a wakeboard rope not a ski rope. When i changed ropes i couldnt believe how much easier and better it was. The reasoning is that ski ropes stretch where as wakeboard ropes dont. There fore you can almost load the rope. When i was using a ski rope i found that right before i hit the wake my rope would go slack. Good luck
justincat
Criminal
Criminal

City: arkansas

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey man try to take a shorter more aggressive cut, also turn your knees and your waist towerd the wake. Keep tension on the rope all the way through. and kept the handle low.
Richie Martin
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Myrtle Beach S.C.

PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you hit the wake keep the rope tight...don't let the tension in the rope pull your arms out when you hit the wake.
WakeMeUp
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2003 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I'll work on this a little more... thanks guys... I was just wondering... is there a special twist to the knee or something?? I mean, I see a lot of riders crouching down pretty low on HS cuts and bending at the waist very far... does that helps getting more height than distance or it is just a style issue?? I heard Kyle talk about style and height in a WBM article... what do you think??
oh and don't worry, I'm using a spectra line with double handle spectra wakeboard handle...
Adam Greer
Addict
Addict

City: Camden, SC (clemson, SC during school)

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2003 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some of it is style, but like justincat said, a short progressive edge forces you to get low, not only becuase you need the leverage. But because standing tall from a low position will give you the "floaty" pop you will need to go wake to wake.
Anything worth doing is worth getting hurt for....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website AIM Address
WakeMeUp
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's what I wanted to hear... thanks adam...
Richie Martin
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Myrtle Beach S.C.

PostPosted: Feb 14, 2003 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lot of time that exagerated low cut is for a trick such as a raley that requires it.
Krashr31
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Florida

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2003 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What works for me is when i'm on the outside i concentrate on slowing the board down all the way while looking of to the horizon then i slowly turn my body towards the wake, this puts me balanced and in a good body position, THEN i look at the wake and charge it.
I used to have a problem going really far into the flats but not enough height to do harder tricks. I was'nt letting my body get into a good position to have an accelerative cut. Speed makes you go far--Acceleration makes you go up!
Stephan

PostPosted: Mar 03, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wanna pop straight up you have to think about flattening the board and straightening up and really popping HARD. On my simple wake to wake grabs and spins I barely cut, just drift in, but when I get to the wake I really extend w/ my legs off the top. Think about when you have a slicing edge you will go out but if you generate your speed and then flatten out and extend up, you will go straight up w-2-w.
Fauker
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Charlotte

PostPosted: Mar 03, 2003 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out the new wbm mag section on 'load and release'. Has some really good tips on body position and the like when approaching the wake...
Krashr31
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Florida

PostPosted: Mar 03, 2003 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true. Watch Necrasons hs bs 720 in running with scissors that says it all about taling a trick straight up.
Ricky V
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Fort Myers

PostPosted: Mar 04, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephan, you do NOT want to flatten off no matter what when you want pop. you want to hold your edge all the way trhough the wake and stand tall at the end as you leave it and kind of push off the wake. but HOLD THE EDGE all the way through!
Stephan

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then what do you do on a tantrum or a big poked back method I don't mean go onto your toeside edge I mean let up on this super hard edge and POP UP. If you edge all the way through you will end up in the flats all the time. For floaty pop you want to generate speed and then flatten off, now you still are edging through but not like at the beginning of the cut. How dare you question my authority!! Hahaha Wink
Nathan Newman
Addict
Addict

City: Baylor

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but when you let off the edge, you lose line tension.

An eye for an eye will make the world blind.
-Gandhi

It is better to die standing than to live on your knees.
-Che Guevera
Ricky V
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2003 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a tantrum cut is the totally opposite cut of a progressive edge cut, which is what he is looking to do. keep edgeing harder and harder and you will pop straight up. letting off your edge does not do anything to how far out you go. if you are landing in the flats, simply take a shorter approach. Wink
Stephan

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well then you ride differently than I do. Cuz for me if I want to do a wake to wake method thats really pulled across my body in front of me I take a normal wide approach and flatten at the wake(not al the way mind you, but some) and take it straight up. If I take a shorter approach it's hard to get in good positioning. So if I want to do a Raley wake to wake I should just take a shorter approach and be good. So how come I wake jump as high as a raley just not always as far into the flats and I take a wide approach, but my edge isn't held all the way through the wake? Maybe to make you happy I should not say flatten off, instead I will say straighten up or extend off both feet. Plus it's a lot easier to take a wide cut "straighten Up" than it is to do a hurried narrow approach, especially for someone learning. So anyways you do your thing and I'll do mine, cuz it's been working well for me for a lot of years. Laugh
Ricky V
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2003 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephan wrote:
Well then you ride differently than I do. Cuz for me if I want to do a wake to wake method thats really pulled across my body in front of me I take a normal wide approach and flatten at the wake(not al the way mind you, but some) and take it straight up. If I take a shorter approach it's hard to get in good positioning. So if I want to do a Raley wake to wake I should just take a shorter approach and be good. So how come I wake jump as high as a raley just not always as far into the flats and I take a wide approach, but my edge isn't held all the way through the wake? Maybe to make you happy I should not say flatten off, instead I will say straighten up or extend off both feet. Plus it's a lot easier to take a wide cut "straighten Up" than it is to do a hurried narrow approach, especially for someone learning. So anyways you do your thing and I'll do mine, cuz it's been working well for me for a lot of years. Laugh
the part where you said to make me happy "straighten up or extend off both feet". that was what i was misunderstanding. i thought u meant you get to the wake on your edge and just put the board completely flat with no edge what so ever. i get u now. but yeah i mean whatever works for you. its all clear now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: