Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

16mm camera

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kai
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: May 01, 2004 10:25 am    Post subject: 16mm camera Reply with quote

Would anyone know where to get these at? I looked on BH and couldnt find any. If you dont know what they are... if youve seen Metronome, Justin shows his at the end in the credits. I dont know too much about them, I know a lot of snowmobile and quad vids also use them. People tell me it looks better than digital. Any info you can give me, would be cool...
thanks
RD
Addict
Addict

City: Discovery Bay

PostPosted: May 01, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the good film cams are ARRI's. I'm not sure if they make a 16mm model. Check out their website. Film is very expensive to shoot & edit! You can get somewhat of a film look with a 24p camcorder like the Panasonic DVX100.
brinks
Addict
Addict

City: Orlando

PostPosted: May 01, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go on ebay and do a search for "16mm film camera" I bought 3 of them off there. Just make sure it is in the states and you ask lots of questions. The Arriflex is a great camera but very, very expensive. you can get a good canon scoopic for about $200-$400 or even a wind up K-3 is a good reliable camera and you can get one of those for about $100. RD is right about film being very expensive. For 100ft of film (10min) it will cost you $40 and then another $60 to $80 to develop and transfer to mini-dv.
Box of Fun out NOW! Get it at your local board shop!
Kai
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: May 02, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does it loose any quality going from film to mini dv?

thanks for the help
brinks
Addict
Addict

City: Orlando

PostPosted: May 02, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No
Box of Fun out NOW! Get it at your local board shop!
RD
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: May 02, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason you would have film transfered to mini DV would be to edit your work and generate a film EDL or cut list. To get your finished film onto DVD takes an expensive process where it's telecined to an uncompressed digital format and then encoded for DVD by very expensive hardware. There's a reason those Hollywood movies look so good on DVD. The obvious intercutting between film and video on Metreonome will give you an idea of the difference between the 2 mediums at this budget level. And if you can't tell the two apart then I guess it proves my point: which is 16mm film based source doesn't look that much better than well shot video from a decent 3 chip cam at this level. (and 24p or 30p just makes it that much closer.) And at $10 a minute, as Brinks says, it's going to cost you $600 to get the equivalent of a $5.00 mini DV tape. Plus these 16mm film cameras aren't point and shoot, you'd better know how to use one. Go to film school and by the time you need to shoot film commercially someone else will be paying for it! Smile
RD
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: May 02, 2004 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha - "No" is a pretty generalized answer! How can you not lose quality when you go from a hi rez medium like film to a compressed format like miniDV. So you're saying if I take a 35mm film and have it telecined to miniDV and then play it back via a digital projector at my local movie house it's going to look the same???? I think your "NO" meant something different right?
JamesWatts
Addict
Addict

City: Santa Monica

PostPosted: May 13, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, if you dont know where to start looking for a 16mm camera, then you obviously dont have enough knowledge to start using one. get an xl1s. film is expensive, and a hassel.
mabey your just rich and want something that looks good, get an HD cam then. shooting film can get tricky. its not something you just whip out and start filming.

Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Cadillac, MI

PostPosted: May 23, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah....you can buy a nice miniDV camera that looks really close to the quality of a 16mm....and it will be a lot easier to use and deal with the footage
410media
Criminal
Criminal

City: wilmington

PostPosted: May 31, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you probably cant find a "nice little" miniDV cam that looks anything like 16mm can but thats neither here nor there.
if your ready for a 16mm (which your not as james pointed out) then arriflex and panavision are the way to go... but for the money the only reason you should be shooting 16mm is if your rich off your ass or if somebody is paying to have your film developed like a company for their video would do.

Kai
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesWatts - if your talkin to me, scroll up to the top and notice i said i dont know much about them
scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2004 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kai, and he said you shouldnt be using one. get a nice mini dv camera and learn how to use that first.
Kai
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well yea i wasnt going to go buy one without any knowledge on them. reason i asked where i could buy them at was so i could just check them out, usually places that sell them give some information on them. btw i already know how to use dv's, fortunate enough to have some xl's, gl's, etc at my school...
Bump Films

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Arri Flex Reply with quote

Couple of things to note...

DVCam is no where near the quality of 16mm (if shot well DV can look good but not even close to 16mm) Transfering to DV is OK and is better than shooting dv, but not the best.

Film cameras such as Arri, Atton, Panavision etc (Panavision doesn't make a 16mm camera) are completely manual. (no auto focus, iris, etc) If you don't have any experience with shooting 16, it's going to be very expensive to learn by trial and error. ($100 for 3 minutes of finished film is a good ball park budget)

By the way, 1 roll of 100 feet of film is 3 minutes not 10.

If anyone is interested, we are selling one of our 16mm packages. Arri SB with a Ziess 10-100 with a few other accessories. We have one guy in Florida who is interested but no deal yet. If some one wants more info let me know.

Mark Bame
Bump Films
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: