Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Adding a grab to tricks.....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
x2xwakegurlx2x

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Adding a grab to tricks..... Reply with quote

I have heard adding a grab to things is hard. I can land scarecrows off a kicker pretty consistant, so I wanted to try and add a grab to it. How would i do it? like when would i reach for the grab, and how would i do it? any tips
Sean OBrien
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Orlando, FL

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding grabs to tricks is not as hard as some people make it out to be. It, like everything else, just takes some practice.
There are a few pointers that will definitely make grabbing inverts and spins easier.
1. You need to see the place that you are going to grab. How can you do a nosegrab crow if you can't see where you are grabbing? It is so much easier to grab tricks when you can see what you are grabbing.
2. Grabbing the board on inverts causes you to rotate faster. So you probably don't need to throw the trick as hard as normal.
3. After you leave the wake/ramp try to bring your knees up towards your chest. By doing this you don't have to reach as far to grab the board.
4. Remember to keep the handle close to your body.
5. Go for the grab as soon as you come off the wake/ramp.

Remember this takes practice, but once you get it you will never do that trick with out the grab.

The easiest place to grab a crow in my opinion is method. So when you throw the trick really concentrate on looking at the heel edge towards the nose of the board.

Good luck!
Sean O'Brien
Fu Wei
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Singapore

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really easy, just remmeber, don't reach down for the board, don't look at the board or u will fall. Bring your knees up and just try to find the board... After some tries you'll more or less know where the board is...
x2xwakegurlx2x

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, thanx for the tips, ill definitly try them out next time i ride (2 weeks) ill tell ya then how it goes
Mythodikal
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Beaumont, TX

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well lets see in the words of murrey " You put your hand on the board and make a fist "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Fu Wei
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Singapore

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2003 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah... But for your TS grabs u gotta bend allitle, but u gotta look straight ahead or u will fall
Sean OBrien
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Orlando, FL

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2003 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your going to grab a scarecrow or any other invert, you better look down at the board as you reach for the grab. You don't have to stare at the grab throughout the entire trick. Once you grab the board, look up, reorient yourself, and try to spot your landing.

If you don't look for the board when you are grabbing inverts, you won't be able to find the board.

When grabbing inverts it is important to know your rotation.

Sean O'Brien
x2xwakegurlx2x

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i gotcha, thanx sean, and fue wei, and ya sean, by the picture in your profile, i can definitly tell your looking at your board for that grab, thanx, cant wait to try it
Weirdophobia
Criminal
Criminal

City: Hangö, Finland

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2003 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this will helpo me too, if I remember all this 4 months later when I can try it
doinflipsdavis
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: SML VA

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking at the board may work for some people but you have to remember that the rest of your body is going to follow your head. if you go in for an indy tantrum, get in the air and look at the board, chances are you're gonna get stuck in mid-air and land on your head. i concentrate on sucking my knees to my chest. you want to bring the board to you, not bend at the waste and reach for the board
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Fauker
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Charlotte

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2003 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone grabbing an invert looks SO much better than just hucking flips up and down the river.

Im gonna put a plug in here for Murray, if anyone hasn't seen his double up backroll where he archs his back and tweeks that thing something sick.. I really suggest you check it out. I wanna say it's on shafted but I can't say for certain.

Stephan

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murray's d-up back roll is not that hard, you edge quick and get speed but hit the d-up relatively flat like you were just going to do an aired out jump, just pop STRAIGHT UP and reach w/ your front hand for the nose, it's actually a really cool feeling trick as you can watch the sky and then as you turn the corner on the flip see the water from your peak. Then it's just about keeping it from going to revert by extending your rear arm. If you hit it right w-2-w is smooth as silk. Try it, it's easy if you can do big stuff off the d-up.
J_DOGG
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: New Hampshire

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2003 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grabs add style to otherwise lame looking jumps.....not that inverts are lame it's just a fact that a small w2w method roll is better looking than a huge plain old backroll.. at least in the circles I ride in....

Sean gave you some great advice.. and he rips....

as you already know """"if you ain't grabn' your flapn'...."""

PEACE
x2xwakegurlx2x

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2003 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, well i know i posted this a while ago, and after i read all your tips, i wanted to go out and try adding a grab to my scarecrows off a kicker, i do my scarecrows, but i always feel that if i try to grab i might not be able to reach, and it will mess up my rotation, and ill have a bad fall or something, should i just go out, and just try and grab it? just like while im in the air, and see my board, just grab it, using all the tips you said, even if i dont accualy touch my board will that work, lol Laughing
Want2ride
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Layton, Utah

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2003 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you do just a grab with out a invert? I would recomend do a grab that you are really comforable with. Just practice going off the kickers or w2w doing all differant kinds of grabs. Once you get them down it will be easier to grab when doing a scarecrow or any invert. And I have never looked at my board when grabing but I guess that might help.
x2xwakegurlx2x

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2003 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya i can do regular grabs without doing them with a invert, i never tried with a invert yet
Want2ride
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I would just go for it once you do it a couple time it will just come natural from then on.
x2xwakegurlx2x

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i guess ill go for it next time i ride, if i go for it ill tel lya how it ends up, that mgiht be tomorow or the next day
Want2ride
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright sounds good and good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: