Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Which laptop?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluefish86
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Ottawa

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Which laptop? Reply with quote

I'm gonna get a laptop for september when I go into university, but I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the options. I'm going to be using it mainly for word processing/spreadsheets, but I'll also have to do some light CAD work on it. I'm hoping it'll last me three years. The university provides labs with top-of-the-line computers for any more intense work I have to do.

What companies/brands are good/bad to buy from? How do I compare pentium 4 processors to the new processors used in centrino notebooks? What do you think the minimum I should get is? Any other thoughts would really help too, because I'm really overwhelmed with all the options.

btw, I'm looking to spend ~$2000 cdn.
PimpinD
Addict
Addict

City: Orlando, FL

PostPosted: Apr 23, 2004 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could check dell and customize one for your needs, get a video card with at least 64megs. any P4 over 1.5ghz should do u fine. I like dell becasue of its warrenty, but personally i build my own desktops each time so... i think the Mac laptops might be a little to expensive but look for the powerbook g4 12.
bluefish86
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 23, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm used to macs and would rather get one (and I could get one for about the same price as a comparable PC), but unfortunately the software I need to use only works on PC. I've thought about it, but I'm not interested in running Virtual PC. Too much hassle.

Actually, I think the reason I'm so overwhelmed is because I'm used to macs, which only have one company offering a complete line of quality computers. PCs on the other hand, have many manufacturers who each offer partial lines of computers, some quality and some very much not.
410media
Criminal
Criminal

City: wilmington

PostPosted: Apr 23, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what software would you be using that isnt mac compatible?
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Sac

PostPosted: Apr 27, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluefish86, look at the Toshibas that jumalian and I both bought.
jumalian
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: san diego

PostPosted: Apr 27, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid $2300 for my Toshiba P25-S509, after $300 3-year Extended Warranty, Norton Antivirus, and a case. There's also a $500 rebate, so that knocks it down to $1800. This is what I got;

Description: Satellite P25-S509 Notebook (2.80GHz Pentium 4 w/ HT, 512MB, 80GB, CD-RW/DVD-RW, Windows XP, 17'' TFT)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP
Included Network Card: Ethernet (10/100 Mbps)
Interface Type: Ethernet - RJ45 Twisted-Pair (XBaseT), Serial - RJ11 Modular (Phone/Telco), Video - 4 pin mini-DIN (S-Video)
Resolution: 1024 x 768 (XGA), 800 x 600 (SVGA)
Video Chipset: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
Display Size: 17 in
Display Type: Active Matrix LCD (TFT)
Sound Support: 3D Audio
CD Rewrite Speed: 4 X (CD,CD-R)
CD Write Speed: 16 X (CD,CD-R)
CD-ROM Read Speed: 24 X (CD,CD-R)
Drive Controllers: IDE (ATA/EIDE/ATAPI)
DVD Write Speed: 2 X (DVD, DVD-R)
DVD-ROM Read Speed: 8 X (DVD, DVD-R)
Hard Drive Capacity: 80 GB
Included Drives: DVD+-RW/CD-RW Combo, Hard Drive
Installed Memory: 512 MB
Maximum Memory: 2 GB
Memory Technology: DDR-SDRAM (DDRRAM)
Processor Class: Intel Pentium 4 Processor w/HT Technology
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Dimensions
Height: 1.8 in
Width: 11.5 in
Depth: 16.4 in
Weight: 9.9 lbs

Description
The versatile Satellite P25 Series will fill all your senses with its 17" theater-like display, rich harman/kardon sound and smooth NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5200 graphics! Make home movies, play DVDs, burn audio CDs for your car, or use it like an extra hard drive — all with the DVD Multi drive! The Satellite P25-S609 has a full 1GB memory complementing an Intel Pentium 4 Processorª with Hyper-Threading Technology with Microsoft Windows Media Center Edition 2004 to simplify TV viewing and recording.

I'm thinking some island. And Alaska is not a choice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bluefish86
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

410media, sorry, I didn't see your post earlier. I'll mainly need to use a specific CAD program (I forget what it's called) and Maple 9, as well as some less important software. I did a search on both of the main programs, and I can't find mac versions of either. Also, both universities I'm interested in have a lot of free software available to download for PCs, but none for macs.

Nor*Cal and jumalian, how is the performance of the laptops? How long is the battery life?
northof49
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Toronto

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluefish86,

If you find out the program, let us know...I can speak highly of Compaq Presario notebooks...I do software and media, and my 1 year old Presario is great for the job...

I also have sold my exact notebook to one of my partners at work, and they do intense CAD and 3d Development...(3dSMax, AutoCad, VectorWorks - I think that's what he uses on it)....

Battery life isn't ever going to be great if you're actually thinking of running intensive applications and/or media on it...for typing documents they're all getting pretty good these days.

Hope this helps...

I can also recommend thinkpads (IBM), but find they are a little more expensive. I've had thinkpads as all my notebooks up until this one, and really have never had a complaint.
PimpinD
Addict
Addict

City: Orlando, FL

PostPosted: Apr 30, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could always go for a Alien Ware multimedia laptop, topline for multimedia stuff. Btw, virtual pc probably would not be able to run a program like CAD.
RD
Addict
Addict

City: Discovery Bay

PostPosted: Apr 30, 2004 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Actually, I think the reason I'm so overwhelmed is because I'm used to macs, which only have one company offering a complete line of quality computers. PCs on the other hand, have many manufacturers who each offer partial lines of computers, some quality and some very much not."

Amen to that brotha!

I just picked up the lastest Virtual PC so I could run some PC only tax software. Since Microsoft bought the program from Connectix it seems to have gotten much better. I'm running it on my Powerbook G4 (since they're still working on G5 support) and I have to say it's not as bad as it used to be. My only recent experience with windows is over the company network so I probably don't know how fast a true windows notebook is though. PM me if you'd like check it out.

bluefish86
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: May 02, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked around some more, and I'm pretty impressed with what you can get in a Compaq laptop for a decent price. Toshibas look good too, but they seem to be more expensive.

northof49, the program is Solid Edge ( http://www.solid-edge.com/ ) if I go to one university. If I go to the other, I'm not sure what program it'll be. When you say battery life will only be good for stuff like word processing, do you mean it'll only be good if I get a slower (but more efficient) laptop, or it'll only be good when I'm using any laptop for word processing?

RD, how much better is the MS version of VPC? I have the latest one before it was bought out. It worked fairly well, but it was too slow for things like CAD.
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: May 03, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluefish86, battery life is around 3 hours or so. Less when watching a DVD.
jumalian
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: May 03, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HP/Compaq has got to be one of the worst computers I've ever seen/used. It was so unreliable.

Battery life on my Toshiba isn't any better/worse than a lot of Pentium lappies, with the exception of Centrino. We watched a DVD on our way up from SoCal to NorCal...was dying after the first movie (2+hrs).

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: May 03, 2004 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

We watched a DVD on our way up from SoCal to NorCal...was dying after the first movie (2+hrs).

power inverter Very Happy

jumalian
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: May 04, 2004 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nor*Cal wrote:
Quote:

We watched a DVD on our way up from SoCal to NorCal...was dying after the first movie (2+hrs).

power inverter Very Happy

Yes, I know. But the one I have (300 watt) isn't strong enough to power it.

salmon_tacos
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Austin

PostPosted: May 04, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

300W isn't enough for your laptop?!

I just checked and the adapter for my Thinkpad T30 (Pentium4) is only 72W. I ran it off my 200W power inverter during a power outage too.

Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: May 04, 2004 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I would say you could go with just about any brand out there but make sure to get the extended warranty through dell or bestbuy or wherever. I worked at bestbuy and if you know how to use your warranty right you'll be in good shape. It covers things like loss of battery charge. So like 2 years down the road when your battery starts to go you can get it replaced for free. Just tell them it's not holding charge like it used to. If you ever have problems with your screen or anything it's free. If you replace that battery twice in 3 years you've paid off the warranty. I would say get a cheap brand laptop with the warranty over a good brand without for the same price. From my experience even the best brands have near as many problems as the worst.
jumalian
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: May 04, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any brand?

True, you can't go wrong with any of these brands;'

Toshiba
Fujitsu
Sony
Dell
IBM

Though, I'd stay away from these brands;

HP/Compaq
eMachines
Gateway

bluefish86
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: May 05, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How powerful are Centrino processors? I went to Future Shop today and the guy was insisting that Centrinos are better. Would a Centrino be powerful enough to do some simple CAD work?
salmon_tacos
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: May 05, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no Centrino processor. Centrino refers to a system with a Pentium-M processor, a certain chipset, and and Intel wireless card.

The only thing you really care about is the Pentium-M. The Pentium-M is just as fast as the Pentium4 at almost everything, even though they run much lower clock rates. For example, a Pentium-M 1.8GHz is probably as fast as a Pentium4 3GHz (I'm not sure if this is the right match-up; it's just an example).

So, yes a Centrino laptop or, more generally, a Pentium-M laptop would do fine for your simple CAD work...as well as any other laptop anyway.

jumalian
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: May 05, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pentium-M (or as it's marketed as Centrino) does as well as a Pentium 4. The only benefits are; lighter (for mobility) and longer battery life.
bluefish86
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: May 06, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks everyone for all the help. I have a lot better idea what to look for now. I'm not buying it quite yet, though, so if anyone has any other good/bad experiences or info, please post them.

btw, I found some Intel benchmark charts that compare Pentium-M and Pentium 4 processors. It looks like the conversion factor for the clock speed of the processors is 1.73 (so for example a 1.7 GHz Pentium-M would perform the same as a 2.95 GHz Pentium 4).
JamesWatts
Addict
Addict

City: Santa Monica

PostPosted: May 14, 2004 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont know if anyone else finds it anoying, i do, IBM acts like they invented the wireless web with how they are advertizing this centrino crap, wow you up a wireless card inside of a laptop. if you got any more innovative you would be up there with making the bands music.

IBM hit this switch

innovation 0
to
innovation 1

-james

Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: May 14, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesWatts,

Huh? Centrino is Intel's marketing invention. IBM actually chose to use different wireless cards (better than the Intel ones at the time) for a while, which made their Pentium-M laptops non-Centrino. Well, I guess Intel's marketing push made that bad for sales (all the idiot consumers probably said, "We want Centrino! Why don't you have Centrino?) because all of a sudden, IBM made the majority of their Pentium-M Thinkpads "Centrino" and hopped onto the Centrino marketing bandwagon.

JamesWatts
Addict
Addict

City: Santa Monica

PostPosted: May 14, 2004 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, IBM. what i was saying though, is that centrino is a card inside the comptuer. they act like they made some new processor or something. they dont advertise it like, oh yeah the card is now internal. isnt that nice, EVERYTHING is like THIS HAS CENTRINO, HOLY SH8*t CENTRINO wow, so exciting. now instead of having to buy a $80 card and stick it into your laptop it just comes in there and we charge you the $80 dollars whether you want it or not, arnt we awesome. hahaha..............youve been able to get "airport" macs internal wireless card for like 3-4 years now? mabey just almost 3, but still way before intel, if you watch mac when they come out with new products its stuff thats actualy worth takeing a look at, they would never think of coming out with something supid like centrino without like changing the entire notebook, or making the processor quicker. intell is just slow in my opinion.

but alot of people have some thing agenst macs, i dont know what? they are easier, cheaper better looking, THEY DONT GET VIRUS', yah, ill repeat that, do not get virus', they have CENTRINO eveyone oh yeah, but its just called airport. they dont run as hot. they are ligher and stronger. i have an Ibook, i have dropped this thing so manny times like onto my driveway and its always fine.
the only down side is, for most people......it dosent come with solitare. Sad awwwwwww
but you can download it for free.
hahah
james

Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: May 14, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centrino is just Intel's silly grouping of Pentium-M, a low-power consumption chipset, and 802.11b wireless. That's all. Why they grouped those things, I have no idea...probably so that people would think they had to have Centrino to go wireless so notebook manufacturers would have to buy Intel's own wireless hardware so they could put the Centrino sticker on there.

As far as Mac-hating goes, the only thing that really defines a Mac is its OS. All the hardware is just there to run the OS. Aside from the processors (Intel vs. IBM PowerPC), you can't really compare the hardware since there are a million different companies producing PCs and only one producing Macs. You'd have to compare the Mac to all of them. So when you say that a Mac is cheaper, lighter, stronger, cooler, or better looking; what are you comparing it to?

Regarding the OS, I think it's just a preference thing. You say it's easier but easier for what? Easier for someone to surf the web? Probably. Easier for an advanced user to make it work the way HE wants it to work? Probably not; at least not the last time I used them which admittedly was probably 10 years ago. Back then, Mac OS sucked. I hated it. It crashed all the time. It wouldn't let me do things that seemed totally reasonable to do. Since the interface was "dumbed down", it wasn't efficient for those who knew what they were doing. Does it still only support a one-button mouse?

Anyway, I'm sure Macs have improved a lot but I think they still just have a different market so some of those things that I didn't care for probably still exist. It doesn't really matter though because even if they were technically equal, I think Macs and their software cost too much, probably because Apple is monopoly within their target market.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: