Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

board size?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vlxsunsetter

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: board size? Reply with quote

hey, im 5'9'' 125lbs what board size should i be looking around for? I currently have a 142 but i think its to big for me.

-vlxsunsetter
Wake upPp
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: NOR-CAL

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From about a 134 to a 138.
ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Russia

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2003 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, but go with whatever is comfortable for you. Try out a few boards if you can and see what you like.
pooser
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Dec 31, 2003 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya what ontrider said. board size is personal preference. if you like your 142 board, ride it. most manufacturers have a size chart that says what weight is meant for each board. this is just a reccomendation tho, someone who weighs 200 could ride a 124 and someone who weighs 100 could ride a 140 if they wanted. definitely demo boards if you can to see which size works for you.
wesgardner
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Severna Park

PostPosted: Dec 31, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey vlxsunsetter,

Welcome -

Dunno if it's easier to start small (with less board/weight to sling around) and get the basics down or what...since you already have the 142 RIDE IT as they say...don't know where you are on the "learning curve"....

As others have/will tell you demo'ing is where it's at - if that's possible for you - some shops allow this with the fee going toward your eventual purchase. Look around the forum here, there's ALOT of information to digest. Length/rocker/ riding style...

Hope this helps

Wes
aguasurf
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Marietta

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea everyone will basically tell you to demo, no one can tell you an ideal board to get. traditionally a 142 would seem too big.....but a board is a board. try demoing some smaller ones and see if you like them better.
seedickride
Criminal
Criminal

City: Munich, ND

PostPosted: Jan 05, 2004 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recomend a board in the 132-136cm range. It depends a bit on whether you're still growing or going to stay at your current height and weight. I agree with the others that demoing is your best option to find the perfect board for YOU, but if you don't have the option, I can definitely try and steer you in the right direction. Email me with any more questions you might have about different boards' riding characteristics or whatever, and I'll help the best I can.
(701)682-5515
mike@seedickride.com
darty
Addict
Addict

City: Lexington

PostPosted: Jan 05, 2004 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like everyone said - a board is a board, ride it! I think that a 142 would be a very stable board to get a few good basix down, like edging and jumping (again, i don't know how advanced you are at this point). When you feel comfortable on this board and think you're ready to further progress, then go buy something after you have demoed a few boards. This way you will be advanced enough to figure out what type/size/shape of board will best benifit you and your riding.

darty
kennethl
Addict
Addict

City: Champaign

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2004 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally like larger boards. For a beginner they can be easier to get up and a little more forgiving. A larger board will offer a lower surface area to weight ratio. I'm told this means more pop compared to a comprable, smaller board and slower towing speeds (also good for the beginners). The downside is swing weight and how comfortable you feel with the size of the board. I certainly wouldnt advocate putting a 60lb 8 year old on a three stage 142.

I'm guessing if your 5' 9" & 125 Lbs you are still growing so keep this in mind when you shop for boards. Demo as many boards as you can and take your time making a decision.
ryanf
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm 5'11'' and 145 and i ride a 135 and i love it also if you plan on doing spins i found it alot easier in snowboarding when i switched to a smaller board and also when i got bigger it was easier for me to control the board but that also could of been me getting more experinced
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: