Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

trucks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kickmyflip

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject: trucks Reply with quote

hey i just bought my first board i got a blank deck,royal trucks,lucky ABEC7 bearings and seek wheels how good are each one of these things?? Thanx Twisted Evil
Fredrick Eisenhauer
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Australia, W.A

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds kool but it depends on your set up. DO you skate street or free style? IF you do i think you might of wasted your money getting 7's. Its just not practical your board goes in the dirt lots, weather you want it to or not. BUt then again i could be wrong.

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well whats the difference between ABEC3 ABEC5 and ABEC7 bearings are different ones used for different types of skating i just thought ABEC7s were the best quality ones
Fredrick Eisenhauer
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2003 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your right, ABEC 7 is the heighest quality. They go really fast and will keep you at the speed for longer. The thing is ABEC 7's are what $90 AUD thats not exactly cheap, and if you skate alot of street you collect alot of dirt, when you fall over the board might go in the dirt things like that. Theres nothing wrong with using 7's for street but (im assuming you skate street) but when they fck up you need to replace them (duh) and compared to say 5's which are only about $50 AUD it is alot of money when you add it up. I generally use 5's but have used 3's and have found no problem of course this is all personal preference. But stick with your 7's if you have the money to keep buying and buying them thats cool. I hope that made sense.

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2003 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i got them with the seek wheels for 31 bucks so its pretty sweet but next time i buy new ones ill keep that in mind thanks what about my trucks how light are they and are they pretty heavy-duty? and yes i do skate street
Fredrick Eisenhauer
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2003 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i dunno how heavy your trucks are. But ive found most trucks (even blank) will last along time. But i dont grind much so my trucks could of lasted ages because of that. Sweet deal on the bearrings.
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Boston

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2003 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll swear by blank decks, they're cheap & last longer than some big label decks. You made a good decision with that.

I don't know about Royal Trucks, I've never ridden 'em or known anybody that has.

The ABEC rating is a German measurement of how fast & quiet the bearing rolls. The thing is, up to ABEC 5 you get more speed, but beyond that you're really just paying for a quiet bearing. You DID get a good deal on those bearings, but VIP is right, you don't need 7's. Matter of fact, I won't even spend extra on the 5's, I never go past 3. The fact is if you skate street or even just park your bearings are gonna get dirty. When you thrash nice bearings they perform like cheap bearings. Once a bearing gets really dirty it never rolls the way it did when it was new, even after you clean it ('cuz you can never truly get it clean like when it was new). Why spend the money? I buy cheap bearings & if they get thrashed I just buy some more, no big deal. Currently I ride Bones China Reds & they ROCK. Easy to clean, roll fast, that's all I need! Very Happy

Wheels are wheels, Seek is as good as any other company. Durometer (hardness) & diameter (size) of the wheel are the most important things in determining whether you got a "good" wheel for you.
Zara
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Oct 11, 2003 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only mentioning this due to my anal retentive attention to detail, but someone mentioned above that ABEC 7's are the highest quality of bearing and that actually isn't true. Bearings like Swiss Bones' Ceramics have a quality rating way higher than that of an ABEC 7. If you can remember a few years back too, Independant was making a bearing that they labled as being an ABEC 12. Most companies stop at 5 or 7 because it wouldn't be worth their while to sell a bearing that would retail for over a hundred dollars.
Fredrick Eisenhauer
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 12, 2003 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zara, that would be me. And i guess a bearing that sold there for $100 would be about $190 here.
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Australia

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2003 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just starting to learn some grinds, and I am really surprised at how flat my trucks have become. Does this happen to all trucks or what?
wakeboarder_dude22
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2003 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just starting to learn some grinds, and I am really surprised at how flat my trucks have become. Does this happen to all trucks so quickly or what?
Jester
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2003 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, depends on the truck. Lighter trucks tend to grind down faster 'cuz there's either less metal or less durable metal. If your trucks are gettin' real flat real fast I suggest picking up some Indy's. They're heavy, but build like a tank.
wakeboarder_dude22
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2003 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks. Would Indy's still flip ok though?
Jester
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2003 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, you just might hafta give a little more sauce on your flicks. I learned how to kickflip with Indy's.
Fredrick Eisenhauer
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 15, 2003 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO heavy trucks would be better for flips? OR lighter trucks? Does it sounds right that heavy trucks make harder to start the flip but once its going it will spin faster maybe making double flips etc. easier?
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Oct 15, 2003 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heavy trucks are harder to flip. But you're right, if you learn with a heavy truck & move on to a light one then you won't have any problems double flipping. That's what I did, I learned with Indy's & moved on to Tensor, now I can double (not consistently though Crying or Very sad )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Skateboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: