Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Brands...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Josh R
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Melbourne, Australia

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2003 1:24 am    Post subject: Brands... Reply with quote

Hopefully this causes some hardcore debate... Twisted Evil
Actually I hope it makes for some slightly interesting discussion.

What brands of stuff do you find cool? Why?
Do they have a message you dig? Does their stuff hold up well?

What brands are sh*t? Why?
Are they owned by big corporations? Do they rely on hype and BS...

Just curious.

Fredrick Eisenhauer
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Australia, W.A

PostPosted: Aug 27, 2003 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride a deck head blank. I like them because there strong, have a good amount of pop (its falling to pieces now though from doing rock and rolls etc. at the post office which has a concrete edge). The only thing i really bought it for was because i was short on money i would have bought sum other board if i hadnt, turns out it was a cool board it has lots of concave so i can get my flip tricks going easier.

I dont really have a company i hate, i havnt really had the experience yet. i dont like etnies skate boots though they arnt as comfy as globes (out of the 3 pairs ive tried). Well theres my 2 cents.

Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: An ocean of vibrant sound

PostPosted: Aug 27, 2003 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I could rant all day here, so I'll try and cap myself.

Globe: I had a pair of Stygers about 4 years ago, they were the worst shoes I ever had. Without a doubt. And they were the most expensive. I hate the way globe market themselves as a skate shoe when they are a SURF COMPANY. This is the same as Reef. I would consider Globe to be the Hyperlite of skating, big name, big team, big marketing, substandard product.

DVS: Most people who visit the skate forum would know I get off on DVS shoes. Love 'em. Perhaps too much, but they deserve my love. To answer your questions directly: DVS don't really have a message. They don't pretend to be hardcore, they don't pretend to be punk, they don't pretend to be tech, they don't pretend that their shoes will get you chicks (see Globe, Reefs). They have a diverse team who design some great shoes which LAST AGES, provide good support, and look great as well. Their marketing relies on the most classic skate formula... Putting a sh*tload of stickers on everything they can, and their magazine adds generally feature a picture of the new model, plus a trick form the pro. If they have a slogan, it's not DVS or nothin', its more like 'NOT skateboarding is a crime'. They market skating, not their product specifically. I like that. Plus like I said, their products will outlast anything I have seen on the market.

World Industries: Lots of people have a problem with this company and its off shoots, mainly due to the way Steve Rocco marketed it during its first few years. I have heard their boards snap easy, but I have no hands on experience so I can't really comment.

Independent Trucks: Their merchandise outsells their trucks by 30 to 1. The Indy logo has now totally infused into the mainstream, so that I doubt half the people who wear Indy hoodies could tell you what a skateboard truck even is. Does this mean they are a crappy company? No. They make a great truck and that's really all that matters.

Grindking: Very innovative company who make some of the best trucks around, and do it all with very little advertising. I would say that (at least in my corner of the world) GK's outsell Indys 3-2 or greater, yet they sell very little merchandise. They focus on making good trucks. I do however have one problem.... The G4's, one of the best selling trucks, had a major design fault. Due to the softness of the baseplate (alloy), the nut on the kingpin would quite often strip the inside of the base plate out and spin freely, making them impossible to tighten without taking the truck off your deck. Grindking fixed this problem in the G5's by making the nut a snugger fit in the baseplate, and now with the G7's they have a square nut which should completely remove this problem. The G7's are an exciting looking truck, with a bent, cross drilled axle to stop axle slippage (something Grindkings have never had a problem with anyway, unlike the majority of truck co's).

I'll stop now, might add some more later Very Happy

Josh R
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Melbourne, Australia

PostPosted: Aug 27, 2003 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep going, thats sick...

I'm a fan of DVS and DC shoes, Indy stuff, Alpha and Red Dragon.

Not a fan of Globe (They're as good as dead now anyway), and I dunno about World. I actually get quite a lot of both of these co's stuff for free from the tour, but I don't wear or use it much, unless it's actually a good product. (The tour is sponsored by some gay companies, just quitely - although we're trying to change that this year) I can kinda deal with World in some ways, but I don't like the whole idea of relying on cartoon characters to sell a product. It's World Industries gimmick...

I should point out that I don't even skate anymore, so maybe I'm a bit of a poser. I just can't see myself supporting other types of brands though.

I still have my old Aesthetics deck with Grind King trucks laying around somewhere...

Fredrick Eisenhauer
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Aug 28, 2003 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mob hate globe but i love them, there shoes are comfy as hell. And they have nearly lasted a year (my left shoe has a new air hole at the front of it). But the only other shoes ive tried are etnies and i hated them.
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Aug 28, 2003 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, Globe make the most comfortable shoe I have worn (My Milan's are close, but not quite), but they are no good far skating. I wore through the sole in a month (I mean right through, feet touching the ground and all), and the sides split in a week.

Alpha are awesome, even if they are only sort of a psudo-skate co. Their clothes are excellent though, and generally well made.

More rant later.

Zara
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Aug 29, 2003 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brands I like(d):
Independant
Alien Workshop
H Street
Plan B
Ricta
Momentum
DVS

Brands I Dislike(d):
Vision
Air Walk
Any company recently affiliated with World Industries
Birdhouse
Roxy
Any company Jay Adams endorses.
Any company that stuck by Gator.
criminally_minded
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Aug 29, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWS are excellent.

I like Girl too.

Roxy? since when did they have anything to do with skating? Confused

twitch88
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: up the hill, ca

PostPosted: Aug 29, 2003 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

globes do suck i had a pair of the chet IV's and they were toast after less than a month. i now skate dc's and think they rock, and i like the emericas i had too. as for decks i liked the last two i have had which were an enjoi and a darkstar, however i like most 7.5 inch decks, but those two companies utilize monster mold which is the most comfortable concave i have ever ridden IMO. oh and the element deck i skated sucked horribly it was spongy and heavy. as for bearings it is hard to beat the swiss bones. for wheels i ride the ricta rowley's they were really hard and a little different at first but after riding them for awhile i really like them. oh and one last thing monster trucks suck. i bought a pair and right away literally within 10 minutes of skating them the bushing popped out of the cup and made then hanger all crooked so i thought no big deal and loosened them to put the bushing back in the cup and was off, then like 5 minutes later the same thing happened. so after about five go arounds i took them back to the local skate store and traded them or a pair of krux. so far i have liked them.
criminally_minded
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Aug 29, 2003 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first started skating bearings were almost a non-issue. You have Nacchi's, with either the rubber seal or the metal shield, and they came in ABEC 3's and 5's. If you wanted something quick you got Swiss or China Bones (although I found these seized easily...). Then NSK's came along and blew everything else away as they were fast and tough as sh*t. Then we got Luckys (quite good) and a few other 'brand name' brerings. Ever since then the bearing scene has exploded. black panthers, reflex, speed demons, there are HEAPS of bearing co's around these days. Every board co has a bearing division it seems.

I ride SKF's at the moment, they are good, but I think I still like the NSK's. I haven't ridden Brand name bearings since my last set of Luckys a few years back in my dirtboard, so I can't comment, but the prices keep going up up up!

Fredrick Eisenhauer
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 05, 2003 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my bearings i have ninja 5's, but i need to invest in a new pair because they are deteriorating (s/p?)
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Sep 05, 2003 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went into my friend's shop the other day to visit and show him my brand new cast. All of a sudden this little grom comes up behind me while I was looking at the Alien Workshop deck my friend had ordered for me, and he just goes "Dude, how can you ride that deck? Their wood is so lame, I wouldn't ride that if you gave it to be!" So playing along i ask him what he would suggest i get. He points to a Seek deck and says "Now there'a a solid board."
I was ready to laugh, I had to hold back! I just gave him an unimpressed look and let him know that Alien, Habitat and Seek are all maked from the same wood in the same factory in Ohio. Just like World Industries owns Darkstar and almost every other kiddie company out there. Poor kid, I felt bad to show him up.
Jester
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Boston

PostPosted: Sep 05, 2003 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to destroy the male ego, Zara. Mr. Green
MutinyWake77

City: WA

PostPosted: Sep 06, 2003 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alva skatebords. I ride them because there oldskool and tony alva is a legend in skateboarding and he knows what hes doing to build skate products. Tony has been around since the 70s skateboarding and probly before that as a little kid. Plus the dude skates pools everyday and pool skating is only for the radical. Hes a true person that lives up to his product.

Also A Great Site: WWW.BLADEKILLER.COM
Blabelmooch
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: San Diego

PostPosted: Sep 06, 2003 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Label: Strong, good pop, and good concaves to choose from.

Independent: Everytime I ride other brands I go back.

Spitfire: Not too partial but I have favored the brand over the years for no particular reason.

Swiss Bearings: Well, they move!

Shoes: Liked Emericas for a half a dozen pairs then moved back to Vans after my skating became somewhat low impact. I pretty much ride parks, pools, minis, and ditches so the grip and sensitivity of vans can't be beat IMO. Too bad they don't last for chit.

As far as companies representing a style, I like the whole Black Label team. Watching their videos and sharing pool sessions with some of the guys made me like them as a company. Coincidentally, they make great decks.

sk8on

City: Orem,UT

PostPosted: Sep 06, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Speed Demons decks their awsome, same with their bearings
I like Orion Trucks too, their sweet! and Emerica shoes

somepunk22
Addict
Addict

City: Minnesota

PostPosted: Sep 09, 2003 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty impressed with my new lib tech deck and titan trucks. Other than lib tech, i love black label decks.

Feel free to say no to this, but will you shave my coin purse? - Stewie Griffin
fs04laoaksfny
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Southbridge

PostPosted: Sep 09, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm......
Gotta love enjoi
and ipathhh
es
lakai
chocolateee
girl that whole industry
dvs and much more

but i just hate
black label
mike v skateboards
dynasty
much more but im bringing a blank.....

but one thing....new dc video was horrible...some good parts but could have been much better...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shorty777

PostPosted: Sep 28, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What brands?? I do what I can to buy from companies that havent sold out. I hate seeing skate brands in big shops, franchises or on the internet. I would never buy anything on-line. Support small core brands and most importantly local skate shops, dont let them die out....Anyone down with or know any good, quality core brands??
Fredrick Eisenhauer
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 30, 2003 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shorty777, but these companies started out small and got big jsut like the skate shops, it doesnt happen as much nowadays because theres so many brans out there. And ur s/n does it have anything to do with shortys?
Addict
Addict

City: Ephrata, WA

PostPosted: Sep 30, 2003 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flip: makes great boards last a long time perfect size and shape. they also have a sick team(rowley, boulala, ladd, saari, appleyard, glifberg, salabanzi, chalmers, penny) in my opinion the best team.

Emerica: Best shoes ever made. they last for ever and have the best designs. oh and they make them in pink which is sick. also have a rad team (reynolds, townend, templeton)

Baker: my second favorite deck company for pretty much the same reasons i like flip good concave and sizes. they made the deck with the best graphics of all time. Greco smashing the guitar over Eminems head. it has all good elements of life: sex, drugs, and rock and roll.

Fury: Trucks that i have now and are my all time favorite. they just rock.

DISLIKES

DC Shoe Company: I must admit that their is not one person i know that skates Dc shoes. why? they suck. ok i lied one of my friends got a pair of them they fell apart verry fast. it just seems like a "pop" company its like you have your abercrombie shirt your american eagle pants and your DC shoes. all those kids need to learn to skate and stop pretending

Shorty's: well they are the worst deck ive skated my brother had one i just didnt like the feel of it. its also one of those companys that all the prepy kids seem to be wearing. Muska is good but seriously i dont understand the whole thug thing.

just my opinions im sure ill get flamed for not liking dc and shorty's though.

Fredrick Eisenhauer
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 30, 2003 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nephilim, not saying your wrong abt DC or anything but this kid i some times skate with has a pair of DC's and they are holding up fine, he has had them for like 8 months i think. But this is only one pair had i dont know much about them at all so yeah.

I dont think people are going to flame you for not liking them brands (if you think i did it wasnt supposed to come out like that) because it is your opinion.

Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2003 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, while DC does whore out shoes to the unskateboarding masses, you cannot deny the fact that they have put a ton of muscle behind skateboarding. Remember, they have been around for over 10 years now and wern't always the shoe machine they are now.
While some DC shoes are build for style, most are completely skateable. Danny Way's Aerotech is one of the most solid skate shoes I've ever skated. In my personal experience working and managing skate shops the instances of DC Shoes coming back for warranty were half that of Es and DVS.
My guess is that kid slamming DC doesn't really know the history of the company and the legitimate people that began it and are still running it today. DC is probably the only company that has been successful in creating a brand and making a ton of money while still contributing to skateboarding, which is more that I can say for half of the brands that people accuse of selling out.
Besides, what does selling out mean? Anyone with even the basic knowlege of business knows that people you can't run a business that won't make a profit. Business is business, skateboarding is skateboarding. Don't confuse the two!
dubers
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Santa Cruz

PostPosted: Oct 01, 2003 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black Label owns it as far as decks go, Can't seem to find anyone else that makes an 8.25's anymore. Plus look at the team Hensley, Grosso, Speyer, Blender, Hosoi all legends. Lucero has stuck with it for a long time gotta give him respect. Companies I can't stand anything run by Rocco (World,blind and the likes). I don't have a real preference on shoe companies, I like anything I get for free pretty much Circa &Vans(new Rowley XL2's are sick),DC.
Other companies that I like
Indy,Santa Cruz,Ricta (Hometown companies)
Innes Clothing
Antihero
Zara
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2003 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dubers
I don't know if you've checked out REAL decks. They make some pretty wide ones. I rode on a few months ago when I couldn't get my hands on a Danny Way Noir. It was a 8.25, which is a little wider than I usually go but what I really liked was the super mellow concave and tail. I rode it mostly in a pool before I broke it and loved it. The only thing is it warped faster than most decks do, but that could have just been the humidity. Anyways I just thought you might want to check them out if you have the chance, very worth it!
Zara
dubers
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Santa Cruz

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2003 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zara,
I haven't ridden a real board in quite a few years, I think it was the Theibuead with the KKK guy hangin from a tree. I just picked up an SC powerply about a week ago from my local shop cheap and I'm pretty happy with it. Deluxe SF is a good company I just didn't remember seeing anything wide on the website. I'll take a look next time thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Skateboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: