Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Need general info

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2003 7:24 am    Post subject: Need general info Reply with quote

Hey guys. We are opening up a wakeboard/skate shop along with our new Moomba/Dealership. I have only wakeboarded and know just the very basics about skateboarding. We decided to add skateboards to our shop as an extra money maker because of the high interest in skateboarding around the area. We are going through South Shore Distributing company getting brands like Flip, Black Label, Element, Shortys, and a lot more. What I need to know is just some information about the equipment so I can explain it to customers. Here are some questions I'd like to get answered:

What are the advantages/disadvantages of bigger and smaller boards and wheels? What are bearings and bushings for?

Just general info like that. Like I said, i just know that basics. If anybody could explain all this stuff to me I would appreciate it.
noneya
Addict
Addict

City: Roxboro, NC

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2003 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.skateboard.com/frontside/101/default.asp

http://www.ccs.com/home/howtobuyaskateboard/decks/

Good general info at both of these
Jester
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Boston

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skateboard size is very subjective (I imagine wakeboarding probably is too). In general, bigger boards are either for people with big feet or people who ride vert ramps & transitions & bust pretty big airs. It's easier to land on a board when there's more to land on. The smaller boards are considered more street oriented since they flip easier due to their smaller size.

With regard to wheels I find that size isn't as critical as durometer (hardness of the wheel). Again, in VERY general terms, small wheels are considered street wheels since they keep the board low to the ground & make it easier to flip. Bigger wheels will roll longer and faster which is good for vert 'cuz you wanna keep your speed in order to make the next wall. Going back to durometer, harder wheels (high number durometer) make the board forgiving 'cuz they'll slide a little if you don't land a trick really clean, but softer wheels absorb impact better & won't stop as easily when you hit an acorn.

Bearings are what you put inside the wheel to get it to spin on the axle of the truck. The ABEC rating is a German system of rating the quietness & smoothness of the bearing. The higher the rating the quieter & smoother the bearing is. However, for most skaters it's pointless to go above ABEC 3 or 5 'cuz you'll be thrashing your bearings anyways so there's no need to spend extra money on such high performance. The only exception would be people who like to downhill skate & require smooth & ultra fast bearings.

Bushings are the soft bits of rubber that sit in the truck. When you lean to one side while riding a skateboard it will turn in that direction. This movement is entirely dictated by the bushing. The harder the bushing the more you'll hafta muscle the board into the turn. However, hard bushings make the board a bit more stable so that's good for things like long manual combos & such.

Sorry this was so long. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.
Jon
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man. Exactly what I was looking for.
Fredrick Eisenhauer
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Australia, W.A

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2003 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also the more concave a deck had the easier it will be to flip, but the less concave you have will make it hardder 2 flip. But boards with a bit of concave stick to your feet better making them good for vert and one with lots of concave makes it more of a street/freestyle board.
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2003 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its unfortunate but the only thing that carrying skateboards does for a shop is increase traffic. They are not very profitable, not nearly as profitable as softgoods. Most serious skateshops make more from selling clothing than selling boards.
criminally_minded
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: An ocean of vibrant sound

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2003 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And NO skateshop ever made money from selling Indy trucks and not Indy merch! Very Happy
wakeboarder_dude22
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Australia

PostPosted: Sep 27, 2003 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is concave the curve of the deck lenghtways or the amount of dip near the tail?
Fredrick Eisenhauer
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 27, 2003 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concave is the dip that goes down in the board, it goes with the grain of the wood (so length ways).
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: An ocean of vibrant sound

PostPosted: Sep 27, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rails of the board (heelside and toeside edges) curve up slightly. This is concave.
wakeboarder_dude22
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Sep 28, 2003 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks. So what is the dip at the tail called and what is it there for?
Fredrick Eisenhauer
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 28, 2003 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean the kick? This is used to get more pop when ollying BEcause i dont know what dip your talking about.
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Sep 30, 2003 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a little dip in the board just as the kick meets the rest of the board.
Fredrick Eisenhauer
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 30, 2003 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think thats because the concave doesnt fold up to the kick so it just stops there. And concave going up the kick wouldnt be much help. Except maybe pressure flips.
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Oct 02, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

criminally_minded wrote:
And NO skateshop ever made money from selling Indy trucks and not Indy merch! Very Happy

Didn't you know? Wearing an Indy shirt makes you skate better. I wore one and busted out a BS 360 varial-heel-shuvit to fakie when I got mine! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Skateboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: