Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

What BURNER to use to MELT LEAD?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jwat142
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2003 6:24 pm    Post subject: What BURNER to use to MELT LEAD? Reply with quote

I have heard people say on here that camping burners are the best thing to melt lead with. I saw a 10,000 BTU propane camping burner at a local place. Would this be enough to melt the lead? Thanks for any help.
skobi1
Addict
Addict

City: eugene, or

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2003 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a burner from one of those turkey deep friers.
jwat142
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2003 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually found this burner at wal-mart. It is a Coleman propane camping burner. It was only like $18, so I thought that if it would work, I would buy it. It is just a single burner that runs off propane. I tried using a torch before, and I took FOREVER to melt just a little bit of lead. Anybody else know if this propane burner will work?
skobi1
Addict
Addict

City: eugene, or

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2003 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should work ok, lead, depending on the size, takes a long time to reach the meltin point but once it does it goes quick. Liquid transfers heat better than solids, so what I did was put a little bit in and get it melted and then started adding more. That was alot quicker, but it does splash a little, be carefull.
wake2wake
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Lexington

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2003 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what you all have said is great to keep the lead melted!! if you really want to melt lead ands you have a lot, use a oxygen/ acetylene, or oxygen/propane torch with w rosebud tip!! lead melts instantly. put your lead in a big cast iron ketttle on a propane burner like you talked a bout then use the torch!!
then find a smaller pan thta resembles the shape you need then use a large ladel to dip the lead out and pour it in the casting pans!! I carry 3-400 punds of lead plates that i made this way! they work great in smaller places that i could not other wise put any weight. The front anchor hole is a great place for 100-200 pounds of lead!!! lol put carpet of some thing down so it does not chip, or turn your gelcoat black!!

Dude!!! be careful
a single drop of water will make the kettle of lead explode and that's not good!!! Shocked make sure the ketttle is supported sturdy to it's easy to forget how much lead weighs
peace.

another good source of cheap weigh is to put those old tubes and towables Too good uses, Fill them with water and put them in the ski locker THe best one i found are those towables that look like a jet ski for two people They hold as much water a 500 pound sack, if not more plus they a twice as thick!!!
peace man!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pike1990
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Paris Texas

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2003 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also melt the lead on your stove top. I have done it and had no problems. Just find an old pot that you can trash later.

www.piketech.net
jwat142
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2003 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I ended up buying the 10,000 BTU burner today and I just got done making two 12" x 3" x 2 1/2" lead bars. It took a while to do, but it worked. I bought the burner and one propane cylinder for $22 total, so it was pretty cheap. The tank doesn't last too long though. I think I am going to have to get another one if I want to do more. The tanks are only like $1.88 at wal-mart. I may take some pics later of them.
justincat
Criminal
Criminal

City: arkansas

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where do you guys get lead?
Shawn Madison
Old School Freak
Old School Freak

City: Norris, TN

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have these at Walmart for $1.50 on clearance-REG. $7 each. Great Teflon molds and adjustable for larger bars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kschroeder

City: Raleigh, NC

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2003 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several place you can get lead... Find the recyclers in your area and give them a call ask them if they have lead... Normal going rate is .30 cents a pound, but you may be able to talk them down some depending on how much you want, it can't hurt to try. Another option is try calling your local tire shops and ask what they do with there old tire weights. You may be able to score a bunch free there as they are supposed to send it to a recycler, but the places I called just tossed their's in the trash.
pete

City: baltimore

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2003 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it hard to get the lead out of the mold? whats the best thing to use for a mold? what can you use to make molds? for a certain shape
jwat142
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2003 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made my molds out of wood. You screw the sides together and then pour the lead in the mold. When it is cool, all you have to do is unscrew the screws and it comes right apart. It worked great.
johoki1

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2003 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I used for a mold was a kinda pan thing that u make bread in, its a pretty good size not too big or small and it will end up weighing like 35-40 pounds. I just turned the pan over and the lead fell out it doesnt stick to the metal, but i would say do it outside the fumes dont smell so great and i wouldnt do it on my oven.
kschroeder

City: Raleigh, NC

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same thing as above. Here's what I ended up with 40lbs a piece. I'll probably make some more once I get some more lead.
jwat142 - Didn't the wood burn badly from using a wood mold. I know I set my hot mold on a sheet of plywood and I thought it was going to catch on fire.

lead.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  21.54 KB
 Viewed:  12000 Time(s)

bluefish86
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Ottawa

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the lead is covering the inside of the wood, there's no oxygen for a fire to start, and since wood is a bad conductor of heat, the outside would stay somewhat cool. So, it probably wouldn't burn.
Bluesman
Criminal
Criminal

City: Petaluma, California

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2003 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pike1990 wrote:
You can also melt the lead on your stove top. I have done it and had no problems. Just find an old pot that you can trash later.

Melting lead releases poisonous lead vapors. Lead poisoning is serious, and does greater damage to children than adults. Don't melt lead in cooking/eating areas, for the safety of your entire family & any guests who eat at your residence.
jwat142
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2003 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the wood did not burn. It worked out great as a mold. Lead cools and hardens pretty quick, so it doesn't give it much time to burn the wood.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: