Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

First attempt to drop into a 13' halfpipe

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toothpick
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Clermont

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2003 1:25 pm    Post subject: First attempt to drop into a 13' halfpipe Reply with quote

Yeah, I got worked. Down at the Vans skatepark in Ontario, CA. I was pumping the pipe, feelin alright so I decided to try to drop in. Apparently you really need to tuck up in a ball....I didn't do this. I went straight to the bottom and worked the left side of my body. That fall gives a lot harder hit than I imagined.

A friend of mine tried it after watching me and got it his second try. Good stuff.
Jester
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Boston

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's definitely not as easy as it looks. I wish I could do more on vert, all I can do is a rock to fakie. Woo hoo! Confused
Zara
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Aug 02, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work guys! It's great to see some other vert skaters posting here.
Toothpick, you did a ton better than I did my first time dropping into a vert ramp! I was at the YMCA in Encititas, and I didn't comitt to the tuck, I leaned backwards and ended up snapping both my wrists. My new nickname was Lobster Claws because I had two casts on for 6 weeks. Try skating with both your arms casted up, not fun!
Once i worked up enough courage to try again I nailed it though, after a few more shocking bails I should mention. Its a hard feeling to get used to, dropping downwards, it is kinda like going over an abrupt bump in a car, one that makes your tummy hit the floor.
Just keep at it. stay forward, nice and even over your board, smack that board down and yes stay tucked in, but you already learned that the hard way. Good luck and keep me posted!!!!
Zara
Fredrick Eisenhauer
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Australia, W.A

PostPosted: Aug 03, 2003 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jester, atleast you can rock 2 fakie, i c an only umm fakie up the quater i can even drop in.
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Aug 03, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Zara, man your crash sounds like no fun. Sounds like you were thinking of the same thing I was: "No way can I get too hurt just from dropping in!" I did bruise both wrists and got this weird line thing that showed up under my skin on one wrist.

Anyway, I'll try again for sure, unfortunately I'm in St George, UT and there are no vert ramps nearby that I know of. Maybe I'll get the right hookups somewhere along the line and get one built here. I can't wait til I can ride that thing and air out of it, seems like so much fun. I love just flowing like that.
ryan720

City: Eden Prairie, MN

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

word.
vert looks tyte.
i want to be able to just hit backside airs smoothly a few feet above the coping.
I have been sk8ing a wooden bowl thats pretty boss. 6 ft shallow and 10ft vert keyhole. super fun.
I must say without knowing how to do anything but pump and kickturn on vert, whats more fun right now are bowls. watch a decent sk8er sk8 a sick wooden (or concrete) bowl and flow all around grinding corners, etc.. You will want to own that for sure.

Sk8park -
http://www.3rdlair.com/

Bowl pics (7th pic down)
http://www.3rdlair.com/photos.htm

Bowls are cool, now the next level is concrete parks with snake runs, etc..
The YMCA here is building one that I have been poaching (they finished pouring all the concrete for the main parts - the pic is only showing half the deeper parts poured - theres way more done now)
Concrete parks are the sickest if they incorporate bowls, deep vert parts and downhill style snake runs with hips, bumps, drops, hills and fast corners to carve and pump.
http://www.concretedisciples.com/cd_skate/minnesota/edina/edina.php
Almost done. Its gonna be so ill. Now if I can just at least learn to drop in bigger than 8 ft of vert and learn fakie rocks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Maestro
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Markham

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jester - A rock to fakie is something to be proud of on vert! At the camp I worked at this summer we had a 15' halfpipe with 2 1/2 feet of vert. Needless to say I saw a few people get worked trying to drop in on it!
ryan720

PostPosted: Sep 19, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tru that. fakie rocks are proly harder than rock-n-roll revert (maybe) on vert. i dont know. i know riding in fakie mach schnell is scary.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
wakeboarder_dude22
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Australia

PostPosted: Sep 20, 2003 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least all of you can drop in on normal ramps. I tried for the first time today on a 3foot ramp, and by my third attempt my back knee was all grazed and bleeding. Do you have to tuck on mini ramps too?
Fredrick Eisenhauer
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Australia, W.A

PostPosted: Sep 20, 2003 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gone down flat banks, i can do that.
But when it comes to bowls i cant. I cant even do a 4ft one.

Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 20, 2003 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah man, snake runs are way fun. My hometown park has a sweet one (Redmond, OR). It snakes down with 3 big hips into a big bowl that you can launch out of and gap over into another bowl, it's a sweet set up. I've been away from it too long and can't work it though. Crying or Very sad

Haha, good to see another tech support dude in here ryan720! Sweet park pics.
ryan720

PostPosted: Sep 20, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: Concrete Sk8parks Reply with quote

Yeah man I was peepin that park in Redmond the other day online. Looks super tyte. Dreamland sk8parks has some ill designs. Ours is not finished yet and really only has two bowls that are not closed in, however, you dont need to ballz transfer to flow through the whole park. If you can carve (no kickturns) and pump hips and corners you can find hella dope lines.

Tech supppppoooorrttt im stupid help me I dont wanna read my manual wahhhhhh hold my haaanddd plllleeeeaasee just walk me through one thing real quick i know i dont actually have anything wrong with my product heeeelp. haha yeah tech support is aight but foolz get old.
I support products we engineer, mfg, sell, and service for disc duplication and label printing. http://www.primera.com

Nice website pics dude. I wanna ride in a drysuit in MN until the lakes freeze over!

Also, dropping in on anything small or large first couple times requires slammin your front foot down hard on the ramp. Just be super exaggerated, and stomp your front foot down hard and lean kinda forward. Not too much or you fall over the board and crumple instead of wheelie'ing down and board zingin out in front of you. I used to only street sk8 so my ramp skillz were weak but slowly learning to drop in on small stuff stompin your front foot down (kinda of exaggerated remember) and then later on you start learning just how much forward\backward to lean. I am now to the point where I can drop in comfortably on anything up to about 8ft with a little vert and now I am finding the sweet spot in between so you lean just perfect that you gain max speed without the wheelie\gforces. This is what worked for me and I was always scerred to drop anything. Also maybe pumpin fakie (no kickturns) and each time you go backwards right near the coping try liftin your front foot a little and stompin it down simulating droppin in. That might help for some. Good luk!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Skateboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: