Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Any late Fall/early Winter riders out there?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucy
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Sep 15, 2003 7:47 am    Post subject: Any late Fall/early Winter riders out there? Reply with quote

Seems like most on this forum are in the southern regions where you don't have to worry about this, but I'm not. Days & nights are already colder & the lakes have really cooled down in the past few weeks. My goal is to extend my season into November & then start (depending on weather) in late March. I have a drysuit on order (going to need it very soon), but I'm wondering about my hair. This may sound silly, but in cold weather, nobody wants a wet head (especially when you have long hair like me) & even with a drysuit it's going to feel pretty cold in the boat with a wet head. So do any of my fellow lady-boarders have any words of advice or special gizmo to keep the hair dry & me warm (other than "don't fall")?
indywakechica
Addict
Addict

City: Indianapolis

PostPosted: Sep 15, 2003 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Indiana so I feel your pain there. It's still fairly warm but feel the season creeping away. Already a hour less of daylight too. This is my first year really into it so I'll have to see how long I'll be able to hold out. Prolly try to go with my friends that have a dry suit (not in the budget for me right now). Don't know why it wouldn't work but you could just get you one of those swimmers caps and wear that.
WetChick19
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Wichita/Lawrence/OP

PostPosted: Sep 15, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they have hoods that aren't water proof but that do keep your head warm they are absolute must when its really chilly out, also get some motocross gloves because your hands are the first things that'll make you want to quit riding. and keep a thermos of warm water on the boat to either drink or dip your gear in. I feel your pain, Kansas gets mighty chilly, but we all just grin and bear it!
wakejunkeygirl
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: saint petersburg florida

PostPosted: Sep 15, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indy, I am from Indy, and live in Florida now,,,i was wondering where you ride? we are thinking about moving home in a year or two.....just wondering...My friend Scott Eineman has a Tige' wakeboard boat but i know he takes it to Del Hollow alot..i was thinking maybe geist or moorse? anyway, i lived on the Southside near centergrove area....still ridin;' down here...but i think dec/jan/feb maybe cold plus my business is wayyy to busy in dec/jan...so i may take off like 2 months, but it will be HARD!
Grace B.
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: OR/WA

PostPosted: Sep 15, 2003 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year I only rode till like late September and this year I'm buying either a drysuit or a really thick wetsuit and I'm hoping to ride most of the fall and winter. You can buy a hood that they make for wetsuits and wear that to keep your head warm, your head will still get wet though, but at least you will be warm!
Lucy
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Sep 15, 2003 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I thought about the hood. My husband will get one of those, but I'm worried about being in the boat between sessions. I did think of the swimmers cap, but I've never worn one (ever), so I don't know how well it will work (maybe I'll try it next time I'm out just to see). Maybe a combo of the swimmer's cap & hood - probably look ridiculous! Very Happy
Crash
Criminal
Criminal

City: Maple Ridge, BC, Canada

PostPosted: Sep 15, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do have neoprine hoods. I am not sure how effective they are at keeping your head dry but it would keep you warmer. I was boarding until October 11 (in a spring shorty) and it was 11 degrees celsius (52 degrees fahreinheit) air temp. I got a drysuit this spring and we were boarding in May in 2 degree celsius (35 degrees fahreinheit) air temp. I have long hair - mid-back. I really did not notice my head being cold. Maybe even though it is wet it still keeps you warm. Quite frankly it was my feet and hands that were the worst. When it is 2 degrees and you get in the water at 7:00 a.m. it is almost torture. It literally took all my willpower to make it to the boat and took about an hour after we were finished for my feet to get back to normal. I guess if you were going colder than that you would likely want a hood.

Have fun. It's great that there is someone else who is just as crazy about this sport as I am. It's going to be a great winter.

My friends and I are planning to go when there is snow on the ground!!!!
Lucy
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Sep 15, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday when we were up at the lake it was probably in the mid-50's at the warmest point, but what killed was the wind. It's a high mountain lake & we had to wait until dusk for the wind to die. It was pretty cold by the time we were able to get some good water, but a long wetsuit still cuts it. In another month, no way! I'll take the advice on the hands & feet. Do they make some sort of water-proof socks that will fit inside bindings (I've got room to spare in them if I need it)?

I'm having too much fun to stop now! Plus I'm just beginning to get to be a decent boarder, so I've got to keep pushing. Snow on the ground? Pffaw! There was snow on the ground here in early May when we bought our boat & yes, we had to take a ride (or 2) to test the wake! Very Happy
kerriokie
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Cincinnati

PostPosted: Sep 16, 2003 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain Lucy. Although I'm not as far north as you are, we get some pretty nasty winters here too. Doging ice chuncks on the water is a new sport that we're developing for our early spring runs! Shocked

They practically make anything with neoprene for cold weather. We've got neoprene footies, neoprene head gear, even a neoprene face mask that only shows your eyes and nose. Wakechick19 is dead on....gloves are a must. If you can't hold on to the to the handle there is no point freezing your hiney off. Just remember that neoprene won't ever be water proof. Its function is to trap water between the fabric and your body, allowing your body temp to heat it up and keep you warm. The only thing that's made to be water proof is a dry suit.

Just look at any online dealers like www.overtons.com or www.skilimited.com or www.barts.com. They have a good variety of stuff. Keep ridin' and havin' fun!

indywakechica
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Sep 16, 2003 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have seen dry suit socks. I could't imagine getting anything else into my bindings. If I pop out most times I can't get 'em back on without lube.

Yeah it's nice to see girlies that are that into it and will make that frigid sacrafice. It's going to kill me...I don't do well in the cold. I was freezing the other week that I went and it was lower-ish 70s. Wakejunkeygirl we might have to trade places Smile I ride all over the place up here...Morse, Freeman, Salimonie, Brookville, Racoon. I never really go to Giest...it's an expensive, crowded mudhole. I think I heard that it costs $35 to put in. Morse is really kinda the same but I go with some guys Thursdays after work and it's the closest so I manage to get some water time behind they're awesome boat. Racoon is prolly my fav for wakeboarding of the ones I've been to. If you're ever back up this way give me a holla...don't have hardly any girlies to go with on a regular basis. That 4am wake up call for the butta is a hard sell Smile

wakejunkeygirl
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 16, 2003 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indy, for sure..I ussually come home about once a year..how sweet would it be to get to ride back home??? definately! thanks!

I can't believe you have to pay to put the boat in...is that common? I left Indy about 4 years ago...and did not wakeboard then...so I was not sure how that works. Racoon would def. be nice...

happy boarding...once I kick this flu I got, I am headed back out to the intercoastal, its been 3 WEEKS!!!! * and i had just perfected my 180's * Crying or Very sad

www.BLISSSPORTS.com

These pretzels are making ME thirsty!
wakejunkeygirl
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 16, 2003 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indy,,got any pics of you ridin on the the Hoosier water???

same here,,on the girlie front,,I do have 3 girls I ride with pretty regularly, we make Thursday our 'girls nite out'..wakeboard from 5-9, four of us..but now its getting darker earlier...and one of the other girls has this same flu bug I have...so we are down for a while.

www.BLISSSPORTS.com

indywakechica
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Sep 16, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No don't think that that price is too common...that's the only place I've heard of like that. Most of the places we go it's normally like $5 or so. I don't know how much it is at Morse...the guys I go with normally take care of that and I just throw in my $5 - $7 for my share of gas and stuff and have never asked.

I have some pics but they're all on my buddy's digi camera. Keep bugging him to send them to me. I wanted something to put in my profile. I'll post some once I get them though. Hope ya get rid of that flu soon!

wakejunkeygirl
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 16, 2003 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet! yeah, cuz i am running out of stuff to do around here,,tired of the couch, tired of tv,,read every book in the house, magazine too...just on the pc..looking at stuff, peoples wake pix..what have you...catching up on all my Indy emails that i have been needing to send...oh well..

have fun if you go out to board,,,do a run for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

www.BLISSSPORTS.com

whirlygirl
Criminal
Criminal

City: Johnson City, Tn

PostPosted: Sep 19, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

still boarding in tennessee. the water and air are definately getting cooler!! last year we rode into october so hopefully the weather will hold out this year too!! my dreams are moving to florida within the year so i wont have to worry about cold water!! hope you girls are riding strong!!
seaotter

City: Switzerland

PostPosted: Sep 19, 2003 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry lucy ...but this does sound a bit silly to me.....my hair is long too...but then I just grap it together whilst riding and once out of the water I put a towel around it..who cares if its a bit fresh or even damn cool with all the adrenaline warming up from inside Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Ladies Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: