Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

heel flip...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
x2xwakegurlx2x

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2003 3:45 pm    Post subject: heel flip... Reply with quote

i was just messing around trying something new ( i was getting tired of trying kickflips and not getting anywhere) so i tried, what i thought to be a heel flip, i did it right, according to my friend, who doesnt skateboard, but anyways, whats the best way to do a heel flip, how should i do it? how should my feet be on the board?
fs04laoaksfny
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Southbridge

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its all how you want....i hang the front of my foot off the board...and kick early and fast...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
x2xwakegurlx2x

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya, i found some trick tips on a skateboarding site, and from other people too, tomorow im going to try it a couple different ways and find a compfortable way
Brian R
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: da noke

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2003 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

make sure you kick out hard... kickflips are easier bc you can use your ankle to get that fast "flick" but heelflips you need to "kick" out fast for it to get the right rotation.
Osiris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jester
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Boston

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2003 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well first off, heelflips start with a good ollie so make sure you're solid with that. Next, you hafta figure out how to kick your leg out to get the board to flip. I've seen & tried several different methods, I'll just drop a couple that I think are good.

1) If you have a good loose ankle, you can try to do a standard ollie & kick forward. It sounds simple but it's not, make sure you're doing the ollie first & then the flick, otherwise the board won't flip at all.

2) Set your front foot in the middle of the board, pointing diagonally forward hanging off the toeside edge. I've tried to model the foot pattern in a diagram below (it's for a regular foot). Pop the tail & as you jump simply push your front foot straight forward, it should combine the drag & flick that you're looking for.

/ front foot
_ back foot

I know that's kinda confusing so if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.
x2xwakegurlx2x

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2003 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, ya i saw on a webpage a couple different ways to try it, so ill try them all
fs04laoaksfny
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Southbridge

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

watch a skate video...see how they do itthats how i learn my stuff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
criminally_minded
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: An ocean of vibrant sound

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2003 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its weird, I can pull of like 30 heelflips in a row, but kickflips I still find uncomfortable.

I can shoveit flip (varial kickflip) pretty easy.... I dunno. I guess I'm weird.

Also, I can frontside shove it easier than i can backside shove it, which again is unusual.

RUSSIAN
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: NOR*CAL

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2003 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

criminal, I can heelflip easier than kickflip also, and I have a friend that can do frontside shovits better than backside, so it's not that unusual. I personaly think heelflips are easier because your heel is solid therefore creating a consistant force, it's more of a push than a flick. During a kickflip your flicking your ankle creating alot of oppurtunity for inconsistancy.

K-dub wrote:
DRAGON88, everyone shall now call you Tinkerbu'....
criminally_minded
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: An ocean of vibrant sound

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2003 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its true isn't it. On a heel flip you only go 'out', where as on a kickflip its 'up and out'.
Jester
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2003 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think kickflips are easier, but I think whichever one you try & get close to first is the one you tend to think is easier. Most skaters out there will say that kickflips came to 'em before heelflips, but I know plenty of guys that say the opposite. Check Bucky Lasek, heelflips are practically the only flip trick he does.
RUSSIAN
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: NOR*CAL

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2003 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think thats because most of the kids learn to kickflip before they can ollie up a curb.

K-dub wrote:
DRAGON88, everyone shall now call you Tinkerbu'....
grady
Addict
Addict

City: d-block

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cant do kickflips for nuttin...just never could get the hang of em..heelflips r so much easier for me, i know its weird but i cant help it lol...and yea i've heard that u just take heelflips out and kickflips up and out.
Maestro
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Markham

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2003 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My skating history is wierd... at first I could do heelflips so much easier than kickflips... took me forever to learn kickflips... then I got the kickflip down and my heelflips sucked... Then I'd be about the same, then I'd be better at hfs.... It's an ongoing cycle... kickflips are much more consistent for me though
orzech
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Honeoye

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2003 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weird for me too, at first i landed 2 kickflips before.... then started doing heelfips and got them solid, but then oculdnt do kickflips, now i can do both. But i dont skate anymore because of wakeboarding(so much better) Razz
x2xwakegurlx2x

PostPosted: Feb 07, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im like that too, i was doing kickflips for a while (couldnt land) getting pretty close and getting the rotation, then i started heel flips, and now i cant do the kickflip as good, but about the heel flip, i have gottin sooooo close to landing it, i land it with my front foot alot, but i cant ever seem to get my back foot on it at the samr time, any tips? what i do sometimes, is land with my front foot, and really quickly, right when the board hits the ground and my back foot does, i gquickly put it on there, if you look fast or late it might even look like i landed it, but thats as close as i have gottin to landing it
Jester
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2003 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep practicing, sister. If you have the rotation & one foot's getting on then you're just not committing. Eventually you'll get tired of only landing with one foot on & go for it. Then you'll stick it. Good luck!
x2xwakegurlx2x

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya, ill keep at it, it might be a while till i land it though, i am commiting, atleast i think i am, its like i kick my back foot back or something, cause it dont want to land on the board with me Very Happy
orzech
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Honeoye

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2003 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just concentrate on keeping your back foot over your board......... that is only half the battle. Now u gotta land balanced..... AKA not fall on your A$$ b/c you were leaning to far back. I tried for an hour straight and till i stomped a heelflip and stood on the board for a while. Good luck
furitive_revolution
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Oshawa

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2003 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright here's my deal. i can not heelflip worth crap regular but switch i can nail them easy. then again i snowboard and wakeboard left foot forward and skte right foot. it actually helps a lot for riding switch
peace

SKATEwakeBOARDER
Criminal
Criminal

City: Jackson GA

PostPosted: Apr 16, 2003 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am weird too, i can do a switch kickflip but not a normal.
el
Criminal
Criminal

City: eugenius

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2003 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prettymuch everything has been said except one important thing- it helps a ton to lean back and not dip your head towards your board. It feels rigid and unnatural, but it keeps you right over the board. You'll be landing heelflips down inhuman gaps like Lindsey Robertson in no time Mr. Green
Zara
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I saw someone mention this earlier, but I'll just reiterate. Be sure you have a solid ollie when you start doing any flip trick, not just a heelflip. Not only will your progression be easier, the tricks will look the way they are supposed to.
Maybe this is really mean of me to say, but I see so many kids at the skateparks every day that are landing these awful looking kickflips simply because they don't really know how to ollie. I think that its amazing that they go out there so eager to learn and progress really fast, but if they can't master the basics first they'll take so much longer to fufil their potential.
Don't get me wrong, the last thing I want to be is critical of anyone, because those kids are out there trying so hard and they really love to skate, but in my mind nothing beats a nice lofty kickflip. I'd rather work a year on a heelflip and have it at a level where I think it looks and feels stylie than nail them in two weeks and move on half heartedly to my next trick.
ramen

PostPosted: Jul 21, 2003 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

with heelflips i see tons of people with their foot way out, it shouldnt be far of the board. then just ollie and kick hardl.
Seekhouse

City: Livingston, New Jersey

PostPosted: Jul 21, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok guys i need some help with the heelflips. First, i have a high ollie and can land them good now, my kickflips suck, whenever i flick down my back foot goes on but when i flick out front foot goes on.....2 years and counting :/. Now my heelflips pop up high and i can flip it perfectly, but only my front foot goes on! back foot ends near the board and i can never land it even when i try relaly hard and jump high....thats the only part i need help with...ahh its driving me insane!
s-s213
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Nanaimo

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2003 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Important thing to remember about heel flips. You can spend weeks learning them, and an hour forgetting them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Skateboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: