Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Computer Programmer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
suckmywake
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Thunder Bay

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2003 11:51 am    Post subject: Computer Programmer Reply with quote

I'm just about to get hired on Full Time at my work and my boss says she would like to discuss my salary. The problem is, I don't know what type of salary I should expect. I live in Canada and I just finished three years of a Computer Programmer/Analyst course. I have one year industry experience programming and I'd be coming in as a junior programmer. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should expect?? I just don't wanna get the screw job by my boss cause she knows that I don't know what people in my situation make.
Seth Martin

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2003 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try to find your job on monster.com or similar sites. There is a site out there that will tell you what kind of money you should be making at a specific job in your area, but i can't remember the url or name of the site - try doing a search.
J_DOGG
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: New Hampshire

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to sound harsh but with one year of experience you would get about $30 to $45 in Boston (depending on the school) and Boston is on the high side....

I assume you are coding in VB or C++?

Programming is all about the experience....Sounds like you are in the right direction.... do what I did right out of college.. get a job for any pay so you can pad the resume with big company names.

5 years at a large bank
4 years at a large law firm ect....

This will show industry experience, then you can name your price.....for the most part...
The real money comes when you can sell application solutions to other companies in your industry, so you get paid and not the company you work for i.e working for yo self...

PEACE
Mariognarly
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2003 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you take your course from? Was it Devry?
BoardC3
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Ithaca, NY

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey this is kinda on the same subject. Im a junior in Highschool with good grades in math and computer (fractals, programming 1 and 2, and AP comp sci) and my lifes goal has basically to become a video game designer and i have no idea where to go to school. Can anyone suggest good programming school (especialy somewhere warm where i can wakeboard Laughing )
suckmywake
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Thunder Bay

PostPosted: Feb 06, 2003 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm not expecting much being an entry-level programmer. But I just wanna know ballpark what to expect and yeah, I program with Visual Studio stuff. I know its different everywhere but I searched on Monster and found that around my area, the average is $33K to $35K or something like that. I just wanted to now so if they tried to offer me $18K or something, I wouldn't just take it right away. I definitely need the experince so I'm not gonna be picky, but I just don't wanna get raped cause I here the boss I like that here. Thanx for the input from everyone. Peace out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: