Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Prop for an I/O

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluefish86
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Ottawa

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject: Prop for an I/O Reply with quote

I have a SeaRay 180 with a 3L merc. We bought it second hand and it came with a rebuilt stock 3 blade prop, so my parents are going to buy a new one, but there not sure what kind to get. What are the different factors(like pitch and material) and what do they do? What kind should I get for a good wake?
riverfreak
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: East Texas

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2003 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get a 4 or 5 blade 17 to 19 pitch.....more hole shot, hold steady at slower speeds, I have a 5 blade 19p and love it, you can get a 4 blade that isn't stainless for $89 at Overtons.....negative-loose top end speed
OttoNP
Addict
Addict

City: MI

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2003 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pitch and material won't affect your wake. The pitch is a trade off between top speed and how fast your boat will plane out. The lower the pitch the faster you boat will plane out but your top speed will be lowered. You can also get your boat to plane out faster by buying a prop with more blades, like a high 5 with five blades. Another advantage of more blades/lower pitch is it makes it easier to keep a constant speed. In my opinion a 17" pitch should be good. Also, aluminum props are cheaper but dent/break easier than stainless steel props. The counter to this is that if you hit something with a stainless steel prop you're more likely to break something else. It really depends on how much you want to spend, an aluminum prop is around 100-150 while a stainless steel prop is several hundred. Ebay has some good prices on props...

Good luck,
Nick
________
ALASKA MEDICAL MARIJUANA

Last edited by OttoNP on Mar 13, 2011 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jon
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 21 pitch 3-blade that came off of a Bayliner. Its in good condition. It should fit any Mercruiser. You name a fair price and pay shipping and its yours if your interested.
r3612
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Chicago IL

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a stainless prop. The new stainless props don't flex like an alum would with the added weight wakeboarders put in their ride. Also the big myth is that if you hit something with a stainless you'll more likely damage the gears in the engine. NOT TRUE. You can buy a hard plastic/rubber hub to go inside the prop that will shear before you tear up the gears. Most new props come with this so check in to that. I would definately go with a four or five blade. If you can some places will let you demo a prop. Do that to find the exact one for you. My bro had a 5.7L merc and he went with a 17 pitch 4 blade and that worked the best for his engine, But I've heard in the past from previous forums that on the 3.0 most people go with a high five.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: