Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

wedge worth the money?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skobi1
Addict
Addict

City: eugene, or

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: wedge worth the money? Reply with quote

I have a 2000 wakesetter vlx. Ive been considering the wedge except that the pro rider profiles i read of poeple riding for mailbu dont use it. im curious what exactly it does to the wake as far as shape and how much weight you should supplement it with. i run 2 350lb bags in the rear, the 700lb mls in the locker, and 400lb lead in the bow.
dlb988

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2003 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Malibuboatowners.com for more input.

I have a wedge on my boat, a Wakesetter LSV, and love it.

FWIW

dlb
surf bum

City: Eugene, OR

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2003 9:04 pm    Post subject: Looking to other boats Reply with quote

Very Happy Do'smalibu have a patented on the wedge? Confused
Josh R
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Melbourne, Australia

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2003 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont get it. The wake will be MUCH better if you just add weight, plus I have heard the wedge puts strain on the boats steering system and can cause problems.
skobi1
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 27, 2003 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surf Bum, Idont know if there patented or not. where do you ride? im in eugene as well.
steveaz
Criminal
Criminal

City: Phoenix, AZ

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2003 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree with Josh :lol: , it's very convienent, cost effective (cheap option when ordering a boat), and very effective as well. See the following thread. http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=858

Steve
steveaz
Criminal
Criminal

City: Phoenix, AZ

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2003 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, Skobi1. That is a pretty good setup, your wake should be pretty hard and good sized but probably lacks a kicker. The wedge (wedge 23)will give you an additional 4"'s or so of height and more vert. However, unless you've upgraded your locker sack...you're not getting 700#'s in there.

Good luck,
Steve
Cowie
Criminal
Criminal

City: Adelaide, Australia

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what i was able to get out of dealers etc when we were looking at a new Malibu stick to weight( as you say all the pros seem t use weight) and the dealer reckoned there wasa big swing away from the wedge. Also out of interest a freinds response LX used nearly a 1/3 more fuel with the wedge down Crying or Very sad than when using weight to achieve the same size wake. The wedge does give a good lip and more vert though if thats what you are after. Also look into the steering issues. I dont know a lot about them but there definitely seems to be a problem somewhere especially with low speed handling.
Cowie
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2003 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfbum/skobi We did a patent search for malibu and all we could find was two patents although in their catalogue they say they have three. The patents we found were for the swiveling ski pole head and for the Fibecs engine chassis system. Couldnt find any others so i guess the wedge isnt patented.
Mullet Man
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: SoCal

PostPosted: Jan 29, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malibu does have a patent on the Wedge but I am pretty sure it is under another name. They got the whole wedge idea from someold guy who had the patent on it. He offered to other boat builders from what I hear but Malibu was the company that went with it.

I do not agree that people are going away form it, especially with the new Pro Wedge design. As far as performance, show me a boat that performs well when weighted down and travelling at slow speed. I have been in some heavily weighted boats other than Malibu that handled far worse than mine with the wedge and weight.

Great Redneck Philosopher - Joe Dirt
Cowie
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mullet man, personally i like the wedge both for the wake shape and the convenience. ( we run the wedge and 1000lbs water in my friends response) My only experience is with a 02 response LX and that doesnt seem to have any problems with handling any more than any other boat that is weighted down as you say. When we were looking at malibu we asked the dealer about it and he recommended we just go for the MLS as most of the sponsored riders were movingaway from it. again i cant verify that to be the case, but it was interesting coming from a dealer.

How do you find fuel usage with the wedge down compared to weight??

skobi1
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 30, 2003 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice. I've decided to just go with some more weight. I swapped my two 350 lb rear bags for a set of new fatboys from skylon. I did typo on the 700lb mls its only 500lb so i now have two 500's in the rear, a 500 in the locker, 400 in lead in the bow, and 2 350's if i ever need em. I'll let everybody know how it works out this spring.
Mullet Man
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: SoCal

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2003 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is more fule consumption but not that bad compared to a similarly weighted boat. I have run my boat both ways. Wether I have 1100 lbs in sacks plus 900 wedge (2000 total) or I have jsut 2000 in sacks it seems to be pretty much the same.

Great Redneck Philosopher - Joe Dirt
bjallen1976

PostPosted: Jan 31, 2003 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GO for the wedge! If you're not pro then you'll love it, plus I doubt you will ever weight your boat like the pros do. The Malibu VLX has a great Rampy wake when weighted, but the Wedge is what gives it a kicker and that's what an amateur like me needs and loves to really get airborne. Plus it gives you that much more versitility with the shape of your wake....
surf bum

City: Eugene, OR

PostPosted: Feb 01, 2003 9:47 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Smile Thanks for the in put i'm just going to go with moor water wight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: