Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

I want to wakeboard and skateboard. How should I get started

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MegEgurl99

City: ohio

PostPosted: Jul 29, 2003 8:39 am    Post subject: I want to wakeboard and skateboard. How should I get started Reply with quote

I want to wakeboard and skateboard. Any one know a way to get the skills I need to get started and ride with the guys? Question
Jester
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Boston

PostPosted: Jul 29, 2003 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, with regards to skateboarding you need to get a board somehow. I'd suggest borrowing one from a friend you know who skates. If you don't know anybody then you're gonna hafta get one on your own.

Buying a complete setup at a skateshop will be kind of expensive (around $100 depending on the equipment you choose), but the quality of parts will be way better than the $20 ones you get at Wal-Mart.

Once you have a board, post some questions about trick tips here & we'll help you as much as we can. Good luck!
MegEgurl99

PostPosted: Jul 29, 2003 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have a board. Not a good one, but it's a board. The problem is I am a little nervous about skating with the guys since I have basically zero skills. Any ideas?
MegEgurl99

PostPosted: Jul 29, 2003 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please Answer me!!! Evil or Very Mad ur making me mad
el
Criminal
Criminal

City: eugenius

PostPosted: Jul 29, 2003 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off: keep in mind this is a message board, not a chat room, so it may take a while for people to reply.

But for a first time skating, go (preferably alone the first few times) find a big parking lot or a nice long bike path, and just ride around. Get the feel of pushing, riding, and turning. Just have fun and get the "feel" of it. Once you can ride around comfortably, your guy friends will more than likely be down to help you start learning tricks. Just take your time and remember to have fun.

Jester
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Boston

PostPosted: Jul 29, 2003 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

el wrote:
First off: keep in mind this is a message board, not a chat room, so it may take a while for people to reply.

But for a first time skating, go (preferably alone the first few times) find a big parking lot or a nice long bike path, and just ride around. Get the feel of pushing, riding, and turning. Just have fun and get the "feel" of it. Once you can ride around comfortably, your guy friends will more than likely be down to help you start learning tricks. Just take your time and remember to have fun.

Yeah, what he said.

I'm sure if you wanna skate with guys they'll have no problem skatin' with ya. Of course you'll meet the occasional meathead that's like "Girls shouldn't skate!" or something, but most guys are more than willing to spend a little time showin' you the ropes.
dmac
Addict
Addict

City: 405 be-otch

PostPosted: Jul 29, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya ok dudes, im new here too. i want to learn how to skateboard. im a sick wake and snowboarder but i heard it helps if you skate to, because its so excessiable and all that. i have a element i have no idea what it is but i think i need new wheels. i stole it from a friend. uhh i need help with a ole. i can ride ok could get alot of inprovment. but right now i need help with an ollie. thaks guys
MegEgurl99

PostPosted: Jul 29, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Thanks I'll try dat Razz
criminally_minded
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: An ocean of vibrant sound

PostPosted: Jul 29, 2003 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most guys I know/skate with are always stoked to ride with a girl, no matter how sh*t she is.

Unless she is annoying. Then we all run away. Fast.

Zara
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jul 29, 2003 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been skating for a pretty long time, not that I want to date myself or anything, but in my experince I've never ran into a guy that went out of his way to be mean. I skate mostly vert and pools so sometimes if its a pretty heated sesh going on you've really got to push to get you're drop in, but in the end as long as you are courteous about it you'll earn their respect for having guts.
This kind of leads me to my bit of advice for you newbies, something I consider very important that also makes your first time in a park less intimidating. There are certain unwritten rules concerning skatepark courtesy that everyone needs to know.
Firstly if you miss a trick and your board gets away from you just holler out "board" so that people in the vicinity know to keep a heads up. Anyone who skates vert knows that boards have little homing devices that attracts them to skaters ankles and shins. So by simply giving this heads up you'll earn major brownie points with the locals.
Secondly, scope out the other people in the park to get a sense of what lines they are taking and who is at what skill level. A lot of times you might find a little spot where there are some good beginner obstacles where the more advanced people stay away from. Thats a good place to start from.
I spoke about skater's lines, incase you don't know parks are set up to flow from one obstacle to another this way more advanced skaters can combine tricks and get speed to head into a trick. These lines can be kind of confusing to a new skater especially if the park is busy, just keep your eyes up and like I sajd before scope out what other people are doing, sometimes you'll be able to predict whats going on just staying aware.
Finally, my biggest pet peeve, ramp hogging. When you are learning to pump the walls of the ramp you might be tempted to stay there all day trying to build momentum. By all means if the park or ramp is empty, go ahead. But if people are waiting to drop in limit your time to maybe a few minutes a turn. Generally each bail means you give the next skater his or her turn, so just make sure your sharing the wealth. You'll find this way people will be more likely to offer tips and support you.
I just thought I'd give these tips out to anyone whos just getting into park skating so that everyone has a safer, less intimidating time! You don't have to go to a park to leawrn but I think its way more fun and encouraging to. Just remember skating is all about fun and abandon, so don't get frustrated if you arn't getting really good really fast. Its taken me a long time to get to an intermediate level and I still have so far to go, but thats where all the fun it!!!!
Zara
dubers
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Santa Cruz

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2003 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zara,
very well said
wakeboarder_dude22
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Australia

PostPosted: Jul 31, 2003 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Zara, what do you do about the punks who skate to look cool, and laugh at newbies?
Fredrick Eisenhauer
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Australia, W.A

PostPosted: Aug 01, 2003 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakeboarder_dude22, ppl who do that r fags, i had a few of them laugh at me when i first started, and trhen i rocked up one day and did a 360 shuv it and there jaws hit the ground. But any one who laughs at sum1 new is gay.
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Australia

PostPosted: Aug 02, 2003 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I know that. They never laugh at anyone who is good, only the newbies who are still learning to ollie and drop-in.
blurredmem
Criminal
Criminal

City: nor*cal

PostPosted: Aug 02, 2003 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you just have know your place... thats all, if you arent cutting lines and stuff most people could careless. its when you get careless and start cutting lines, thats when people get pissed
Zara
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Aug 02, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe it is just me, but I've never really associated with that like of attitude before. When I was yonger and had just started skating I was the only girl around that skated, so the guys really almost took me under their wing. Now that I'm one of th older kids at the park who maybe has more experience I feel obligated to return the favor and give a hand to any kiddie that wants it.
If I were however to encounter a person that made fun of a kid who is just starting, or even made fun of me for trying a new trick I think I'd just sorta blow it off. As cliche as it sounds, i wouldn't want to stoop to that person's level. Besides anyone who really is all about skating would realize that that person was a total punk. My guess would be that he/she is probably not well liked around that park to begin with. So just go do your thing and let other people do what they have to do to make them feel good about themselves.
To quote a famous philosophical saying of our day "I'm rubber, you're glue, whatever you say to me bounces off me and sticks to you." Okay, so it isn't shakespear, but it gets my point across.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Skateboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: