Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

getting started

View previous topic :: View next topic  
soulslider
Criminal
Criminal

City: Maine

PostPosted: Jul 14, 2003 3:34 am    Post subject: getting started Reply with quote

i couldn't get up last weekend and i got so stinkin' pissed @ myself! i know u cant expect to get up my first try, but i really wanted to, i just got on my boat after and slept. Puppy Eyes Mad Evil or Very Mad Confused Sad can anyone give me good advice!? Question
whirlygirl
Criminal
Criminal

City: Johnson City, Tn

PostPosted: Jul 14, 2003 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

be sure to keep your arms straight and knees bent up to your chest. let the boat pull you up and use your legs to push off the water as you stand up. good luck and don't give up.
soulslider
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jul 14, 2003 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

should i push before i get out of the water? Question
silver girl
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: England

PostPosted: Jul 14, 2003 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope dont push, u will rise natrully, wen uoy are on top of the water start turning, take your time, if u rush u wont make it
Tiffanator
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Hattiesburg

PostPosted: Jul 14, 2003 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this a week or so ago on another thread.

Ok, lets take it from the beginning. All the suggestions above are great, and try them all, one is bound to work. I have gotten many, many people up using the method I'm about to tell you, so I know it works.
1. Finding your dominant foot.... Probably the most important thing you will do in wakeboarding is finding which foot is dominant. There are endless ways to go about this. If you slalom, its your front foot, same with snowboarding and skateboarding. If you don't do any of those then go kick a rock, ball, tree, friend..whatever. Whichever foot you kick it with, that's usually dominant, not saying its always that way, but usually. Another way, if you are already on the boat, is to stand with someone behind you and have them push you forward, whichever foot you put out to catch you is dominant. (did that make any sense?)
2. Board position... I have tried every way to get up, sitting, standing, cannonball, sideways, backwards, everything. The easiest way I have found is with your board UNDER WATER. Yep, that's right. Sooo, once you get strapped into the bindings and in the water, try to get the board under you, like you are squatting on it on land. This will be much easier if you have something to pull on, like the rope. Get the board under you and just kinda sit there for a minute getting the feel of it. Pull your knees up to your chest and get in the cannonball position, with the board still under you. This is how you want to start. Now, staying in that position, have the boat get the rope tight and start dragging you some, don't go immediately. If you are in the correct position you will feel the board start to rise out of the water, once i does that, yell "go" and you will come out of the water no problem.
3. Riding position... Once you are out of the water the board will still be turned so your toes are facing the boat, at this time remember the dominant foot and kick it forward. Sometimes it helps to let go with your back hand. Once you are riding, you want your chest up, arms somewhat straight, knees bent a bit. Basically be in a comfortable sideways stance.
4. The theory behind it all.... I get a lot of wierd looks when I tell people to put the board completely under water to start. It goes against every rule of traditional water skiing and traditional thought. Here's why it works... When the board is in front of you, half in and half out of the water with the bottom facing the boat, its like you have a big bulldozer in front of you. The board is not going to come out of the water if it doesn't have a reason to, and being in that position, its just going to push water and dislocate your hips. Now, put the board under you, the smallest part of the board is facing the boat, and its like an airplane wing now. Think hydrofoil. If you have the board under you with your toes pointed slightly up, its like holding your hand out the window of a moving car and angling it slightly up. (is angling a word?) Anyway, the water is going to push the board up, just like the air pushes your hand up. Get it?
5. Tips.... Best tip that I can give you is relax, let the boat do the work. I learned behind a jet ski, so anything is possible with the right technique. Keep your board facing the boat until its out of the water and on plane, then turn it. When you are getting up, keep enough tension on the line so it doesn't pull you forward over the board. Wrap your arms around your knees. Don't try to stand up too early. I have seen people ride for 200-300 yards all squatted down because they didn't feel comfortable standing up. Once you get your balance, then stand up.
Ok, that's a long enough post for now. If you have questions feel free to email me tiffany@glassandpowder.com.
Later

Lucy
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 14, 2003 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've taught a few people to board & it seems like the easiest way for people to get up is to (right before you yell "GO") tilt your board so that your lead foot is higher (leading) - you would push your lead foot up a little & your rear foot down in the water a little. You don't want to try to bring it all the way into a parallel line with the rope (I don't think that would be possible), just a little angle. When the driver gives power, it turns the board around to the correct position & seems to help get them over the hump of getting out of the hole. Don't force standing (don't push, pull or anything while you're still in the water) - let the boat do the work & try just to stay in a neutral position until you're up.
soulslider
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2003 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

every time that i tried to get up, my board would scrape against the skin on my fingers that is just above my fingernails, and the next day under my nails were all bruised. it hurt like a mother. do you think that it is possible that my board is too big for me? Question thanx for the tips Laughing
midwesty
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Vegas

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2003 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you are getting pulled over the front of the board and not staying back in the crouched position...try arms fairly straight..lean back...azz to heels and let the boat pull you up...within about a second you should be putting your lead foot forward and putting some weight on the back foot til the boat gets going...all this and i weigh 200 lbs behind a 120hp i/o
Lucy
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big board should (in theory) be a little easier to get up on. midwesty is right - it sounds like you're getting pulled over the front. Let the boat pull you up, but don't let it pull you over. Try to stay somewhere between pulling against the boat & letting it pull you - as neutral as possible is best. If you pull against the boat too much, it's going to go hard on you & you could end up dragging a ways before you get up, taking a lot of energy. Don't pull enough & you'll have what's happening now.

midwesty,
It must take some technique on your part to get you out behind a boat like that. Mr. Green
midwesty
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Vegas

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got a few muscles....i am an avid lifter...debating on bbuilding but just dont like the idea of cutting weight again like i did for wrestling in high school...i will post some pics soon of both me and my lady behind the boat....i actually got up behind a boston whaler with a 60hp motor when i first started...got up on my 3rd try..anyways
Lucy
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

midwesty,
Sorry, I couldn't resist that little barb. My hubby is 6'3 & goes about 215 & we always tease him about being the lead weight that's someday gonna stop the boat. Razz
RunningWithScissors
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Bolton Landing, New York

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2003 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just take ur time and practice
www.ebay.com *Also a Place for Good Deals*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
silver girl
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2003 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck
soulslider
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jul 16, 2003 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really want to get up...........i left the marina with a smile and thinking to myself (in song) i'm gonna go wake-boar-ding!.........then when i came back i felt so upset i didn't want to talk to anyone Evil or Very Mad lol. thanx for the pointers, peoples! Mr. Green
silver girl
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jul 16, 2003 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soulslider,
u will get up

soulslider
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jul 16, 2003 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx for the encouragement Very Happy
katelin

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2003 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just relax and let the boat do the work
Girlboarder4life

City: California

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe try to pull your arms a little in more to give you some slack so your arms wont get tired really fast. And try to stay back on your back foot it does sound like your getting pulled of the front like midwesty said but keep trying it takes awhile. Have patience and good luck. Colorful
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Ladies Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: