Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

knee injury and surgery advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigjrun10k

City: Cross Junction, VA

PostPosted: Jul 23, 2003 8:36 am    Post subject: knee injury and surgery advice Reply with quote

Hello girls!
I injured my knee about 5 years ago (torn ACL, not from wakeboarding). Since I started snowboarding (3 years ago) and wakeboarding (2 years ago), I've done additional damage to the knee, since I never had it repaired. Now I have two torn menisci (cartilage) + the torn ACL. The knee is very unpredictable. Last week, I landed wake to wake with no problem. Then my knee decided to pop to the right. When this happens, it takes about two weeks to get back to "normal" without any pain. I've postponed reconstructive surgery because the Doc said it will put me out of commission for about 6 months; but then again, I'm not trying anything new because I'm always worried about my knee...so I should probably just get it fixed.

I was wondering if any of you have had similar knee problems and if you were able to solve the problem without surgery (e.g. using a knee brace when boarding). If any of you have had knee reconstruction, how long is the rehabilitation -- is it really 6 months??

Thanks!
Lindsay
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: NYC

PostPosted: Jul 23, 2003 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, get it fixed if you can and follow the doctor's recommendation. Knees are critical, for everything, not just wakeboarding. I should know, I'm laid up right now, I hurt my "good" knee (right, lead foot when riding). My knee that has had work (left) is one tough cookie now. Hoping to get more info about my new issue from the doc on Friday.
bigjrun10k

PostPosted: Jul 24, 2003 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lindsay,
Sorry to hear about your injury; mine is the same knee (right, lead foot). Did you injure it wakeboarding? What was wrong with your left knee before you had it fixed? (I'm a little knee-obsessed right now....) hee hee
Lindsay
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: NYC

PostPosted: Jul 24, 2003 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right knee--current injury happened while wakeboarding. Bad landing. Tweaked it a couple of times last summer, too.

Left knee--injured while I was in high school playing, chronic patella dislocation, no ligament damage. Had a scope+lateral release & PT. Has been healthy for the past ~7 years.

Where is Cross Junction? I had been living in Richmond up until about 4 months ago when I moved back to the west coast. Do you ride Anna/Chick/James/SML/Gaston?
bigjrun10k

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2003 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband and I were fortunate to move from Manassas (yick) to a 240 acre private lake north of winchester about 3 years ago. We live on the water, so we bought a boat and some boards...then better boards, better bindings, wet suits, dry suits, wake skate, board rack...ha ha. Before we moved here, we spent a lot of summers jet skiing at lake anna. Did you go to the Wakeboarding contest sponsored by Glass & Powder that they had at Lake Anna last year? That was my first (and only) contest. I was still pretty new to wakeboarding and I SUCKED during the contest! But it was a blast. Very cool to watch the expert riders...none of those here at Lake Holiday (YET!).

I'd like to road trip soon to Smith Mtn Lake. I've heard nothing but great things about it. I assume James is James River. What/where are Chick and Gaston? Are they any good?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Ladies Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: