Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

riding switch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
heartofbullets
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: FL

PostPosted: Jul 14, 2003 11:03 pm    Post subject: riding switch Reply with quote

okay I haven't been wakeboarding in about 2 years, but even before that I couldn't ride switch well. I've pretty much got my regular back to where it was before, perhaps even better, and I'm trying to get better at riding switch but whenever I try to my left (back) leg shakes like crazy, I guess it's just not used to it or something, but I don't remember this happening with my right foot when I first learned to ride. Does anyone else have this problem? should I expect it to just fade away with time? Is there anything I can do to make it get better faster (besides riding more, I already ride almost everyday, yipee)

Thanx.

heartofbullets
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no help?
shadybetz55
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Bedminster, NJ

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: riding switch Reply with quote

Well, i have a similar problem...i used to get up goofy, then i started getting up regular and have ever since. Now i ride regular, and can jump and do other stuff, but I CAN'T RIDE SWITCH ANYMORE. it is so weird, and i don't know what to do about it, i can do a surface 180, but then i have to switch back quickly b/c i am about to fall. what is up with this...anyone have any suggestions.
Lucy
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can tell you is that when you start riding switch, especially if you've been boarding for a while & are pretty comfortable on your board, when you turn switch it feels wrong - & I mean all sorts of wrong. I know because I just started riding switch about a month ago. The only thing that helps is just to practice. Every time you do it, it feels a little better & a little less wrong, & you feel a little more stable with each outing. Maybe someone else has some other pointers, all I can give you is that time & practice make it better.

One thing that I just thought of is binding placement. If you don't have your bindings in a symetrical setup (same distance front binding to front as back binding to back) it's going to feel bad. I didn't have this problem, but at first I did have my rear boot angled in a little & when I turned switch it felt like I was backward to the boat (because I was Embarassed ). I ended up turning it out so both of my feet are now slightly duck & it works good for me.

Hope that helps.
scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2003 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

think of riding switch as starting all over again...ive been riding switch for about a month now and its still hard for me to edge out toeside...
just give it some time and keep practicing it.

heartofbullets
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 15, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

but I don't remember my back leg shaking like this when I first started, but on switch it does, that's what's really buggin' me.
scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 16, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried to adjust your foot position? im guessing your leg is shaking because its not used to being stretched in the way that it is now. when you ride switch your hips/shoulders are opening in the opposite direction (since you are facing the other direction), so you are stretching your legs out in a new/different way, and i think that is why your leg is shaking.

i would try adjusting the binding position. duck it a bit less so its easier for your body to open towards the boat. when i started to ride switch i adjusted both of my bindings so they were less ducked because i found that it was hard for me to face the boat because i wasnt used to twisting my back leg so much. by unducking my stance it allowed me to face the boat easier, and now that im a bit better im starting to duck them a bit more.

whirlygirl
Criminal
Criminal

City: Johnson City, Tn

PostPosted: Jul 16, 2003 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lot of times your back leg will shake because of your own weight distribution. really try to straighten your back leg when you ride - it seems hard, but the more upright you are and the less force you put on your back leg muscles, the less they will shake. it is just like lifting weights in the gym, after your muscles are burnt out, they will shake when you try to lift more. so try to keep your leg straight and in time those muscles will indeed get stronger! jus keep practicing!!
silver girl
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: England

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2003 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i ride goofy
n i can do surface 180s n stuff, but im not comfortable at switch either

dw
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Long Island

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2003 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its so funny to ride switch because you understand all the concepts of what your supposed to do but your body has trouble puttin them into play......just pratice riding switch at least once everytime you go out and it will come just takes some time
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Ladies Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: