Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

whiplash?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
indywakechica
Addict
Addict

City: Indianapolis

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2003 5:02 am    Post subject: whiplash? Reply with quote

I'm a fairly new boarder. I've been going for a few years now but this year is the first year where I've been able to get a lot of time in on the water. Seems like almost everytime I go out...my neck is hella sore the next day along the side. It's not really bad but just sore to turn my head in one direction. I'm assuming it's from falls. Anybody else have this? I wonder if there are any stretches or exercises I can do to help or build up a tolerance to it?
krit
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2003 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I get that alot too. Sorry that I dont have any exercises for it though! I just wait a couple days till it goes away! The worst is the couple of days after your first run of the season, that is KILLER.
riverfreak
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: East Texas

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2003 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had some neck pain that was unreal at the beginning of the season, a pinched nerve that kept coming back, "ice ice baby"- get an ice pack and put it on after your ride for about 20 minutes, and do it as often as you can throughout the week, even if you don't feel sore - the neck gets all tense and you have mucho nerves around your neck, its probably inflamation - and the ice will take care of that - I haven't had any trouble since the beginning of the season Wink thank GOD!
bombardierbabygurl

City: St. Clair, Michigan

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2003 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG yeah ... it was so damn sore i couldnt bend my neck it hurt on the sides and in the back... my guess was from the falls too... ice is a good idea.
Lucy
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2003 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep a bottle of Ibuprofen in the boat & take 3 or 4 right after I'm done & again before I go to bed that night. Seems to help to attack it right away.

What really helps me though, is to not faceplant!
Grace B.
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: OR/WA

PostPosted: Jul 08, 2003 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think my neck has ever hurt, its usually my head. My head hurt for like 4 days after I did this HUGE faceplant this season. My mom always keeps a bottle of Advil in the boat for stuff like that, if you take one right when it starts to hurt it usually goes away faster. Yeah and like Lucy said try not to faceplant Very Happy
wakeraver

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2003 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My neck gets sore too, I think in my case from fatigue and strain (and the crashes). I've had some bad neck problems over the years and a physical therapist I went to gave me some neck strenghtening excercises to do. Basically, they're just isometric excercies and if I do them regularly, (when I'm not in pain from wakeboarding!) they seem to help. I'm a regular ibuprophen popper too, and an icer.
wakeraver

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to add that the excercises are kind of hard for me to explain in a written message, but I'll try: you have to be sitting with good posture and keeping your neck straight when you do them. Use your hands as leverage and press your head into your hand (but try not to bend your neck, I know that sounds weird). You kind of have to use a combination of pressing with your hand against your head and with your head against your hand, while keeping the back and neck in a straight posture. First your forehead, then the back of your head then each side, hold it for 3 seconds and let go and repeat 12 times with each angle. If you look in the mirror when you do them, you should see the appropriate muscle sort of flexing in your neck as you do them. Hope this helps.
indywakechica
Addict
Addict

City: Indianapolis

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2003 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on...thanks wakeraver. Those exercises you were explaining seem like they make sense and might help.
grlywake
Criminal
Criminal

City: Central/So. Cal.

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from my first run of the season. OOOOOUUUUCCCCCHHHHH. I did a invert on mistake I got so excited I forgot how to land and I landed on my head!! Shocked
I sitll have head pain and wiplash. I wish I read this yesterday I would feel a lot better right now. Take care bye, I look silly streaching my neck but it works!!

heartofbullets
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: FL

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2003 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow at the wusses! lol, I thought we were talking about real whiplash here. I've gotten serious whiplash, I hadn't been riding very long and had just started going wake to wake with my jumps, i was going super fast and busted hard right on my face, slamming my head back, I couldn't move, my sister had to come into the water and pull me out, I was unable to turn my head AT ALL for at least a week.

But yeah I know what you mean about the first ride of the season and stuff, in fact my neck it a little sore right now from that sort of thing.

shanda
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Nampa

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2003 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got whiplash from a rough landing last Thurs. One thing you want to do to make sure you don't collect scar tissue... and the guys will love this one... stand with your back tall and straight, press your shoulders down and then back, bend your elbows and rotate your writsts out while you press your shoulderblades together as if you are trying to squeeze an orange. The key is make sure you press your shoulders down at the same time you are pressing back... this will stretch those muscles, but also prevent scar tissue from developing. Hope this helps!!!
RunningWithScissors
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Bolton Landing, New York

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2003 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try ice, maybe some advil, just take a rest on it though.
www.ebay.com *Also a Place for Good Deals*
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
drvnmskt

City: Arizona

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2003 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lots of advil! Two things I check off before getting on the boat. 1 board shorts 2 Advil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Ladies Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: