Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

getting the boat ready?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
riverfreak
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: East Texas

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2003 8:34 am    Post subject: getting the boat ready? Reply with quote

got the oil changed, lower unit, changed plugs, (mercruiser 4.3), prop greased steering greased, but I keep reading about the transom zirt fitting needing grease as well, .... what exactly are zirt fittings? anything else I need to do? thanks
Leggester
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2003 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought they were zirk, but with a merc out drive, alpha I, there are two grease fittings right by the hydraulic pumps for the trim.

Are these what you mean?

Don't forget the trailer hubs, one of which I blew out last year Sad
OttoNP
Addict
Addict

City: MI

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check my webpage for more information under boat repair/service. I almost have everything up, here's a picture of the "zirt fitting," more commonly known as a grease fitting. The red circle shows the one that leads to the gimbal bearing. In addition to this one, there are 2 on each side of the sterndrive on which it rotates up and down. Finally, there might be one on the inside of your boat right where the shaft of the engine connects. It rotates with the shaft so you may have to crank it to be able to get to it. My friend's boat, a 91 with a Merc doesn't have this.

Other things you could do:

change fuel filter
change water separating fuel filter
clean the flame arrestor

Nick
________
New mexico dispensaries

Last edited by OttoNP on Mar 13, 2011 1:35 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
OttoNP
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2003 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another picture of one of the other grease fittings, there is a similar one on the other side
________
JUGGALO

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
riverfreak
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2003 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow thanks! I'm a visual learner so the pics really help! Legg, we had our wheel berrings blow out last year too, got the berring buddies now.....thanks again guys
Leggester

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2003 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was the bearing buddy that blew. No way I could tell about the over filling. Surprised
riverfreak
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2003 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oopps, so even if we have berring buddy, still need to take it all apart and check it out?

Nice web pages Nick, your backroll attempts look like mine about 2 ft off the water!!!! LOL, thanks for the info.....
OttoNP
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2003 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be able to grease the bearing buddy as well. You take the cap off and there should be a grease fitting there as well, you shouldn't have to take them all the way off. I'll post a picture when I get home, I need to finish the rest of that webpage stuff during the boring months of winter.

I need to change the fuel filter on my truck, but it is so freaking cold out here, like 15, winter blows...

Hopefully this season my backrolls will get better Embarassed

Nick
________
Klonopin Rehab Forums

OttoNP
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a picture of the bearing buddy grease fitting. Notice the grease all around it, this is bad. It shouldn't leak grease like this...

When you pump grease into it, the plate the grease fitting is attached to will move towards you, stop when it is back all the way. Also, some bearing buddys have a small hole that will let grease out when the bearing buddy is full.

Nick
________
Healthy relationship advice forums
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: