Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

30 For 30
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: Apr 02, 2016 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched the "Fantastic Lies" and makes me honestly sick to my stomach. 1 day for Nifong? Should have had 1 day of beating from the Duke Lacrosse team as a sentence.
Chad H
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Atlanta

PostPosted: Apr 02, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.J.,
I actually watched that the other day. I never kept up with that story after it broke as i was a bit younger, but i always just assumed that they were all guilty. Quite the opposite.
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 02, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad, I was older & still just thought it was a bunch of rogue athletes and really didn't have any other opinion, until I watched this. If you would have ask me about it 10 days ago, I would have had a seriously flawed opinion. I'm still blown away about it and am sick for those kids, who even today, have unformed individuals(like myself), who never knew what this story really was.

I hope their settlements were significant and that still doesn't make it right.
Chad H

City: Atlanta

PostPosted: Apr 03, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.J.,
I was reading somewhere that it was about 18M for the three suspects in the case.
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Apr 04, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it was really well done. I liked how the focus was mostly on what a POS the prosecutor was/is, as well as his office and their practices. What I've never liked about the entire story is that it is now the symbol for innocent athletes/celebrities who are innocent.

There is NO information in that documentary or anything else saying that they were all 100% innocent. There is a lack of evidence of guilt (like a lack of DNA) and there is tons of evidence about misconduct, covering up info, unethical practices, etc. but there is NOTHING in there that says, "They're innocent."

SOMETHING happened that night. I don't know what it is. It might have been simply a bunch of college dudes with strippers and things got out of hand and inappropriate that is it. It might be more than that. I don't know. But something happened that was more than show up, dance, get paid, leave.

That being said, the guys went through hell for something much less than what they were accused of and that is absolutely wrong and it was nicely outlined and exposed. But these days you hear, "Don't jump the gun here-maybe [RaeDarrenKobe HardySharperBryant] didn't do anything wrong and this is a Duke Lacrosse thing....." I shake my head at the huge difference between perception and reality surrounding the whole thing.

Also, I'm a UNC fan.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Apr 04, 2016 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pet575 wrote:
SOMETHING happened that night. I don't know what it is. It might have been simply a bunch of college dudes with strippers and things got out of hand and inappropriate that is it. It might be more than that. I don't know. But something happened that was more than show up, dance, get paid, leave.

i coached at duke's camp the summer of 99 or 00 and became good friends w/ a player on that team. he was a a senior when the 06 seniors were freshman. he was in austin after the scandal happened, but before the ending where the players were exonerated. from them, to him, to me:

the guys had ordered strippers from the back of the local weekly alternative paper. they specifically stated "no black strippers" to the guy on the other end. by the time the strippers got there, several of the guys were already hammered. clearly, these strippers were not what was ordered, and some of the more overserved young men were vocal in their displeasure about that. i'll let your imagination work on the wording, but the setting is the south in a town w/ a very high % of poor blacks and a school full of entitled rich whiteys.

since strippers aren't really people, the guys had their argument of whether or not to keep the girls anyway, kick them out, pay them, not pay them, etc right there in front of them, and being a bunch of large, drunk, jocks, it got heated fairly quickly. the girls had been headed to (maybe already in) the bathroom when it got rowdy, so they locked themselves in the bathroom [legal note: this is where the kidnapping charge came from].

much like any party w/ drunk jackasses, it took a minute for the less drunk dudes to get the idiots under control, so they could focus their attention on the strippers locked in the bathroom. the strippers were all kinds of pissed off, and deservedly so. their pimp, errr...manager, had booked them for a party that specifically asked to not have them there. the partygoers were rude pricks yelling racist slurs, and they wanted to get paid their money (for the party, not the lawsuits to follow). the less drunk guys trying to manage the situation were going all riggs and negotiating through the locked door, sliding them money under it, etc. anything to get them the f*ck out of the house.

remember - there were no cops present at any point. and the stripper that did the accusing was also a hooker (see: 11 different semen dna samples from her underwear, none from overpriveledged whitebreads). if that's not far enough up the crazy tree for you to think that she could have made some bullshlt up on the spot, she's currently in jail for murdering her boyfriend, and i skipped over like 93 of her other arrests because life is short. read up on them here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_Mangum

so yes, something did happen that day in that house. she got called some names she didn't deserve. and for that, she started that entire mess in motion.
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Apr 05, 2016 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I wasn't trying to say the striphooker(s) had clean hands by any means. If your buddy's story is accurate (not questioning, just saying....) then that could easily qualify as the "SOMETHING" I was talking about.

That story sounds absolutely believable, though.

flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Apr 19, 2016 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not catch the Duke 30 for 30....

I did watch the Orlando Magic 30 for 30 this weekend. I really like all the 30 for 30s I have seen so far. I even liked the Christian Laettner one. I might just not hate Laettner after all.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2017 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calipari one tonight was AWESOME!
Swass
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

30 For 30 is must-see TV. They are all good.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buddy of mine worked on both the boz and phi slama jama ones - same guy as the smu one.

in a completely unrelated coincidence, boz lives in austin now and i end up at parties w/ him quite frequently. his wife (who is smokin hot) is friends w/ all my girlfriends from college that i still run with, so they are at the birthday/super bowl/going away type get togethers.
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Apr 17, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a UK fan I watched the Cal 30 for 30. I don't think I have seen a 30 for 30 that I did not like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are not watching the 30 for 30 Celtics/Lakers Best of Enemies, you are doing yourself a disservice. As good as it is, the amazing thing is what a lot of these guys have done in the game after their playing days. What a bunch of crazy great basketball minds.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2017 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.J., haven't watched but will. Lakers fan for life, entirely due to that era (and my birthplace being LA). I was lucky to see the entire crew play a lot of games @ what was then called the "Oakland Coliseum" - my father's company had really good season tix and we got at least 2 LAL@GSW games (and a whole lot of other games) per season. I also got to see Bird, Isiah, MJ, Ewing, Hakeem, and even Malone/Stockton in their heyday. I don't think kids of this gen will ever see that kind of stuff - let alone live in person.

I already knew many of the big names from those teams are still involved with basketball to this day. Will be cool to see the backstory and just how involved some are.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2017 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biased, but the lakers/celtics one is unreal. just such a different era. and they hit every angle - good and bad, for both teams. i was too young to realize how good the celtics (and lakers) were...6th/7th grade was 84/85. living in mass and going to catholic school, the morning prayer requests during the playoffs typically went something like this:

some chick: prayahs for my aunt, who lives in reveeyuh, because she has the cansah.
next 3 chicks: prayahs for some chick 1's aunt from reveeyuh, because she has the cansah.
dude: if gaud could bless larry with 35 and 10 tonight, i will never miss sunday mass evah agin.
*7 dude hands immediately shoot in the air*
teacher: Rolling Eyes

either team would fv<king ROLL the teams from right now. using 80s rules, of course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Add To Favorites

Jump to: