Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Streaming TV / Movies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Nov 10, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Streaming TV / Movies Reply with quote

Who has delved into the world of streaming TV? I just ordered an Android TV box with Kodi and may run Hulu on it as well. Any tips, feedback, etc?
TnR6Rida
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: West TN

PostPosted: Nov 11, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get Exodus on Kodi.You can watch just about any movie/tv show you want.
TnR6Rida
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Nov 11, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have cable too so I haven't messed with any live streaming apps, so I can't help you there.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 11, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I've seen a couple things about Exodus. You've used it?
TnR6Rida
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Nov 12, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie Boarder wrote:
OK, I've seen a couple things about Exodus. You've used it?

I use it all the time. It has just about everything on there.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Nov 14, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We no longer have cable and haven't for close to 2 years now. I get locals OTA and we stream everything else. We don't really need Hulu or the like because we have a Tivo, so I just DVR whatever I want from the majors. I have Amazon Prime so we get a lot of content there if we need, but I also have been given the DirecTv login from my bro (who will never ever ditch a conventional TV service) which gets me access to countless streaming services. Pretty much every single network you can think of can be accessed this way. I just use a combo of AppleTV (current gen) and Chromecast to deliver most of that content. I prefer the ATV because my wife is able to use it without major headaches.

There is very little I cannot access with this combo. I've heard good things about Kodi, and also about jailbroken Amazon sticks.

Now that I think about it, I actually have been given logins for:
Hulu
Netflix
Xfinity TV
HBO
DirecTv (access to countless networks streaming)
Showtime
Sunday Ticket

I pay for:
Tivo ($15/mo)
MLB.TV ($125/season)
Amazon (whatever prime runs these days, which I'd pay for regardless)

I gave my brother and my dad the MLB login (they give me Direct and Xfinity and Sunday Tix)
I gave my SIL the Amazon login (she gave me Hulu & Netflix & HBO)

Seriously, I have absolutely zero reason to ever go back to paying a cable or satellite company. Just maintain decent broadband service and it's all good.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched something on youtube about the firestick and exodus. Looks really simple. A buddy of mine actually has done it and said it was the best $39.99 he has ever spent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
TnR6Rida
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flixmaster wrote:
I watched something on youtube about the firestick and exodus. Looks really simple. A buddy of mine actually has done it and said it was the best $39.99 he has ever spent.

It is. I use it all the time. Can also watch the UFC PPV fights and anything else on it too.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 25, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, we've been using this for a couple months now and love it. We do have some glitches and buffering from time to time, but we don't have super fast internet, so that was expected. We use Exodus and Show Box and basically get all the shows we want. We're not big movie watchers, but we have watched a few on it and they seem to have very recent movies on there.

At this point, I see no need to have a pay service of any kind. OTA antenna for locals and this box is giving us everything we need.

flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Content OVERLOAD!

I don't know if I can handle all the content. I feel like I need to take a week off from work just so I can watch everything I have missed over the past 6 months.

I have super fast internet but still have seen buffering problems. All the sites that it pulls content from just seem like they cannot handle all the traffic.

I have 200+ google fiber channels, netflix and amazon so I am paying for almost everything I can buy. I need trim some of these pay services at some point.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Jan 26, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flixmaster, kill the Cable TV service. You can get everything you watch online, I am sure of it.

The bigger question isn't YOU though, it's the wife. SHE has to be happy with it. The way I sold it was with the TiVo service and showing her the cost savings.

Do we have hiccups? Yeah, sometimes. Cable TV network apps on the AppleTV get logged out from time to time, she doesn't know how to fix it. But I'd say we are 90% or better reliability, so she has no thoughts of going back. Apple recently updated the ATV software to keep the provider login info locally, and that seems to have helped.

If you are having buffering issues it could be local hardware. Hell, not could be, it probably is. We do not have "super fast" internet, but I do have a synchronous fiber pipe so the highway is huge (no bandwith issues). I recently installed an Asus RT-88U which is total freaking overkill for my house (but I got it free, so yay for me). Zero issues with buffering, latency, etc. Solid 2.4 and 5GHZ signal everywhere in my house. I have 3x Chromecasts, 1 TiVO + TiVo Extender, 1 AppleTV, 1 Roku, Google Home, and a stuffload of IoT devices running on it (Wemo, Nest, MyQ, Harmony, etc). Zero issues, which I cannot say for the not-very-cheap NetGear Nighthawk AC2350 it replaced (that thing was buggy as hell).

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: