Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Starting an engineering firm

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Faust
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2016 3:26 am    Post subject: Starting an engineering firm Reply with quote

In the next few months I will be turning 30, and it has gotten to where I spend nearly every waking hour thinking of starting my own engineering firm.... now or never... I have 8 years experience working with small consulting hvac firms. I am a PE. I would have the support of my family which is great. Enough saved up for living expenses for a few years.

Downsides are that I have no clients lined up... about 3 years ago my wife and I moved here (Tampa) from Wisconsin and have no deep connections... day one would begin with cold calling any and all potential clients. And ive never done anything remotely like this, which is nerve racking. Between school and work ive basically gone through life doing what others asked to the best of my ability.

Anyway, I know there are a few people here who have done similar... any words of advice or encouragement?
STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what have you been doing since you moved to tampa? have you been working in the field to establish some connections? if not, that might be a wise way to spend a year or two if you can find a job that will get you exposed to potential clients.

i'd thought about moving away from home (and our well-established practice), but the thought of restarting from nothing was not something i am interested in. it's certainly not for everyone, and i admire the fact that you're willing to give it a shot. good luck.
vette74
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Houston

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2016 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the same thing (but civil engineering) you did in 2009 it was one of the best decisions I ever made. The best thing to do is call me and I can walk you through the steps. Shoot me a PM for my number. Or if you happen to be in Key West next week March 12-17 we can talk it over a beer.
vette74
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Houston

PostPosted: Mar 05, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And honestly it is not that hard all you do is have to work your **** off.
Faust
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Mar 07, 2016 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STPHNSN23, I've been working with a firm here for almost 3 years. There are a couple dozen architects and contractors I've worked with, and a few dealt almost exclusively with me. But I'm not confident they would leave my firm to give me work, nor sustain me... I would need a lot more clients.

vette74, pm sent, its good to hear it was one of the best decisions you have ever made.
FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Mar 07, 2016 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least give it a shot or you'll regret it the rest of your life.
Can't start on the side, keeping you regular job (or another one) to maintain a steady base?
Though you're saying you got enough saved up to live off for a few years so fck that and go for it with everything you got!

Make a businessplan but don't get lost in that, keep it short and don't keep trying to improve it forever.
Good luck!

nmballa
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Milwaukee

PostPosted: Mar 11, 2016 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get ready for sleepless nights. Cashflow is a Lil' Sis and will keep you up all night with stress. I made the jump from a pretty lucrative sales position 5 years ago to start my own company. Its been a ton of hard work and required me to take on venture to keep pushing development. We are now almost 30 people and guess what, cashflow is still a Lil' Sis.

But yeah I am happy I made the jump and believe we are pretty much there in our technology to really make a serious impact on the market.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=509037985&ref=profile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: