Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

How to handle landlord

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chad H
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Atlanta

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2016 2:44 pm    Post subject: How to handle landlord Reply with quote

So me and the girlfriend moved a month ago. We are renting a house.

Last tuesday while at work, the girlfriend texts me to tell me the dishwasher is leaking, so i tell her to shut it off. I come home, do a basic inspection, run it again, and it leaks once again. At this point, i feel it's time to call the realty company to fix it, since it is obviously leaking.

The next day, the repairman comes out, we run it while he's here and it doesn't leak. While here he did hang a tube/pipe connected to the dishwasher for whatever reason, but didn't find it to leak while he was here. Ok cool, we send him home and it hasn't leaked since.

Today I get a bill in the mail from the realty company, for his services for $80.00 with an attached invoice that he wrote. In the invoice, he doesn't mention hanging the pipe, just that he came out and didn't see a leak.

In our lease the only thing regarding maintenance thats said is that if there is a washer,dryer, or refrigerator, they come without warranty.

So I call the realtor, and she explains that she's out of the office, but according to the invoice, there was no leak. I explain to her that there was a leak and we wouldn't waste our time waiting on a repairmen, let alone call them for one if we were under the impression we'd be paying for it, because if we knew that we'd be calling one we knew etc. She's going to take a look at it tomorrow and let me know what the outcome will be.

I know it's only $80.00 but do I have any sway here? Advice?
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2016 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best bet is to rely on any lease language that specifically favors your position that the dishwasher is not your responsibility.

The invoice saying "no leak" is going to be a problem, though, and give them an opening to argue that the cost is on you because there was nothing to be repaired (which they are obviously doing).

Take pictures of the tube/pipe as he modified it and submit them in support of work being done and there being no more leak.

It may be an expensive lesson, but in ANY landlord-tenant relationship the tenant should always document the ish out of any problems with the premises. Very easy to do these days with camera phones.

Broccoli B
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Grand Rapids

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the realtor the landlord (owns the house) or a rental management company?

That was probably the drain line that got hung, which I could see causing a leak if the dishwasher wasn't able to pump the water into the drain.

In defense of the landlord, some landlords are very good, and appreciate that you got the problem fixed and didn't just let the dishwasher leak all over. But there are also tenants that call for EVERY little thing. We have a few rentals in the family and I remember one that would call a repair person for everything. Bathroom door squeaks so they call a handyman to come spray some WD-40. Bathroom toilet is "too loud" so they call a plumber out to tell them it's fine. Etc.....

Good Luck.

lcap wrote:
you assume that i assume that my assuming is wrong and assume your assumption therefore must be correct.
Chad H

City: Atlanta

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once i calmed down a little bit yesterday, i talked to the girlfriend and she informed me that she had it loaded down pretty full when the leak happened, and I did some research and found that it's pretty common that if you have it loaded really full or in a way that the sprayer gets stuck it can definitely discharge more water than the door seals are intended to handle.

So it looks like that's what happened...

The owner of the realty company called today and while I still argued quite a bit and asked her if she wants me to just not call about future problems, her final point was that in her case she can't show the property owner a bill for nothing and expect them to pay it which was a pretty lame arguement, realistically, the property owner is making money off the property and that to me is the cost of doing business, but anyway. I'll eat it, but we'll have some very long talks to the realty company in the future before a repairman comes out. We even showed the realty company the puddle of water from the day it leaked. I can't wait to buy a place of my own now.
Faust
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't pay. Did you say you would? Research dishwasher high loop. The plumber fixed it. I'll respond in more detail later tonight
Faust
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the dishwasher drain pipe isn't held up high, then water can flow from the sink drain into the dishwasher and cause leaking, depending on where on the sink sanitary pipe the dishwasher drain is connected.

As a first step, I would contact the plumber, and request a more detailed invoice, wherein they state that FIRST they lifted the drain, and THEN there were no leaks. Then take it from there...
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dishwasher drain loop is key. Some areas have building codes that require a vent setup which creates a high loop, but other areas don't require this so you need to loop it up high.

I did not want a vent on my counter so I took a piece of "plumbers tape" (metal tape with holes in it), and created a hanger for the loop high up behind the sink. Works great.

If the plumber did this already using a zip tie or bailing wire or ??? then you should be fine going forward.

If that wasn't done in the first place, the dishwasher was installed incorrectly. i.e. NOT YOUR FAULT. I wouldn't pay it.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: