Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Aspen vs Park City
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

senorbueno, thanks - that's good info!
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heading back to Aspen mid October. Will get a second chance to form opinion. Depending on weather, may take bikes or fly rods.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.J., you keep going at the worst times! Laughing
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
E.J., you keep going at the worst times! Laughing

Yea, I see the mountain biking kinda shuts down end of Sept.... I'll not have lift access.

I don't plan the times, just along for a ride and wallet.... Laughing
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are going for hockey tourneys, yes?
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
you are going for hockey tourneys, yes?

Yes.... Get all the great ski resort towns during hockey season!
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Jackson

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about lift ticket crossover, but if you're planning on leaving Park City I would rent a car. SLC is more of the center point if memory serves me right to go to the different mountain areas, so it would be a drive Park City to Snowbird/Alta. Park City will be a more expensive stay then some of the other areas. Several of the other one's you mentioned don't have onsite or close lodging.
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brew wrote:
I don't know about lift ticket crossover, but if you're planning on leaving Park City I would rent a car. SLC is more of the center point if memory serves me right to go to the different mountain areas, so it would be a drive Park City to Snowbird/Alta. Park City will be a more expensive stay then some of the other areas. Several of the other one's you mentioned don't have onsite or close lodging.

Agree, almost have to have a car if you are staying in SLC or planning on staying in one of BCC or LCC & hitting numerous different resorts... Or in PC and heading to LCC/BCC.

Rooms should be cheaper in SLC, but commute will be +\- an hour anywhere you go(think 30 miles ish, that's total travel, door to door).

No real nightlife in LCC/BCC, other than a resort bar or 2, no real walking to numerous joints.

PC is a fun town and you're close to the resorts up there...

SLC is fun, but you're commuting further....

Guess where you stay is dependent on what you are looking for, type of trip it is.
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm dialed on almost everything, but the actual riding on the mountains.

Maybe I'll start skiing again this year, the Little One wants to snowboard... All we need, something else to spend money on... Rolling Eyes
senorbueno
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 23, 2014 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh definitely agreed... If you want to stay in SLC, you need a car. If you don't want a rental car, then stay in Park City and just hit up Canyons or PCMR and forget about Brighton/Snowbird.
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jul 23, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Car rental was pretty reasonable in SLC. We got two SUV's for a reasonable price. However, depending on how long you are there, you will probably have more than enough to keep you busy in PC.

The one advantage to the vehicle is you can chase the snow especially going that early. Snowbird and PC can be pretty different on the snow they are getting at particular times.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 23, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd rather not rent a car, plus i want to be as close to the mountain as possible. staying in pc and hitting up pcmr w/ a trip to the canyons one or two days is more what i would do. 20 minute bus ride is no different than the bus from aspen to snowmass.
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jul 23, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want a car, then Park City and PCMR and the Canyons is the way to go. You can stay in town or on one of the mountains and take the bus to the other one you want to ski. It's laid out similar to Breck so you just have to take a bus from one end to the other to get from PCMR to Canyons. We stayed at a condo at the base of the gondola at the Canyons and it worked out well. The food options are limited that way though, so I would stay more in town.
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.

Looks like 2 trips to Aspen this year, both before Turkey Day....
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, park city is out. aspen again this year. cost of lessons for teens is 2x at pcmr vs aspen, so i checked on airfare and instead of the usual $900 round trip from austin to aspen, it was $460 last week. i missed out on that, but did get it for $560, which was only $10-15 more than slc.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 27, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow - looks like i might have made the right choice!! http://www.cnbc.com/id/101951406
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 27, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
wow - looks like i might have made the right choice!! http://www.cnbc.com/id/101951406

This has been big talk here... I cannot believe that they will not have this resolved before the snow falls... Too much $$$.... "An arial(sic) view of Park City, Utah" is a aerial view of the Salt Lake Valley.... Laughing

Did they extend the deadline today? I have to assume so...
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 09, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.J. wrote:
jt09 wrote:

This has been big talk here... I cannot believe that they will not have this resolved before the snow falls... Too much $$$.... "An arial(sic) view of Park City, Utah" is a aerial view of the Salt Lake Valley.... Laughing

It's figured out and PCMR will be open for business, status quo. This is not a surprise, as stated above, just too much $$$ to go into the season unresolved.
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.J. wrote:
E.J. wrote:
jt09 wrote:

It's figured out and PCMR will be open for business, status quo. This is not a surprise, as stated above, just too much $$$ to go into the season unresolved.

BOOM! This just got MUCH BETTER for those with an EPIC Pass....

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/prnewswire/LA10299.htm

Vail Resorts just purchased PCMR....
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup!

Park City Mountain Resort is Now Epic
Park City Mountain Resort now featured on the Epic Pass with Vail Resorts’ acquisition of the iconic mountain resort
Epic Pass now features 22 of the world’s most iconic mountains and more than 32,000 acres of skiing and riding

BROOMFIELD, Colo.—Sept. 11, 2014—Vail Resorts, Inc. (NYSE: MTN) today announced that with the Company’s acquisition of Park City Mountain Resort (PCMR) in Park City, Utah, the iconic mountain resort now joins the Epic Pass, expanding the collection of legendary mountains offered on the industry-leading season pass to 22 resorts and more than 32,000 acres of the best skiing and riding in the world.
http://news.vailresorts.com/corporate/park-city-mountain-resort-is-now-epic.htm
arof
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Toronto

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I see it, spectacular deal for Vail. They will make a killing off of this.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it's a good deal for everyone involved. vail is really well run compared to most resorts. plus, *hopefully* this means canyons and pcmr will get connected.
senorbueno
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Vail resorts for the most part, but hopefully they don't jack up the prices on lift tickets to Canyons too much. I think I paid $75 a day last year buying the tickets from Costco for Canyons. Right now on the epic pass website they are selling a 4 day pack to PCMR for $400. What is a normal day pass then? $125?

I guess I'll stick with Mountain Collective (Mammoth/Snowbird/Squaw/Jackson Hole) plus maybe a few days at Brighton in SLC this winter.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 19, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
i think it's a good deal for everyone involved. vail is really well run compared to most resorts. plus, *hopefully* this means canyons and pcmr will get connected.

http://unofficialnetworks.com/2014/09/vail-will-create-the-largest-ski-resort-in-the-us-by-connecting-park-city-canyons-in-201516-2

Vail will create the largest ski resort in the US by connecting Park City & Canyons in 2015/16

Last week it was announced that Vail Resorts acquired Park City Mountain Resort for $182.5 million in cash. Vail Resorts followed up the announcement with the news that it plans to connect Park City Ski Resort with neighboring Canyons Ski Resort, also owned by Vail Resorts. When this master vision becomes a reality Vail Resorts will have created the largest ski resort in the United States. The combined skiable acres of the united ski resorts will be a whopping 7,300 acres. However, Whislter Blackcomb will still be the largest ski resort in North America with 8,000 skiable acres.
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 19, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a super fun trail from the Canyons to PCMR that I ride my bike on. Some great ST.

Just booked Steamboat in December. Never been...
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 17, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Total different opinion on Aspen this trip.... Don't know if it is weather(it's been fantastic) or more walking town... Who knows, but it's far better than my last time. We're staying at a condo in Snowmass, great time. Wish I would have traveled the bikes, blew it there.

Back 2 weeks later... Stinky gear airing out....

..and view of Buttermilk...

Kids had a fantastic time walking neighborhood across from the airport, which is a cool place by the way. Funky sweet neighborhood.

Add: Colorado has nothing on Utah as far as liquor laws, 3.2 in grocery stores, full lead in liquor stores. Mind you, have FAR MORE liquor stores.

Speaking of stores....
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in Sun Valley, this town kicks ash. Maybe the best trip in this years ski resorts of the West, Aspen(X2), Jackson & PC. That said, not great snow...
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh & the Terrorist skied Deer Valley on Thursday, LOVED IT!
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe 3/4th of us will go back to Sun Valley this weekend & send the last 1/4th to Tahoe.

Apparently we're hitting the Nordic Festival.... Not sure we'll catch any of it, but will actually try. Know a Mirror Pond schooner at Grumpys is in my near future.

And just to be clear... Plan on bringing back the PAC 8 Hockey & Sun Valley Suns 12U hockey Championships.... Wink
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 08, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a great weekend!!!! Sun Valley Champions. PAC8 Hockey Champions.

E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 20, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Vail now, it's okay. Limited experience so far & weather is making it tough, but so far so good. Have a few places mapped, one to watch the Utah game tomorrow. Had some pizza & beers at Vendettas tonight, solid place.

Been to Aspen, Park City and Vail in the past month. Will be to Steamboat, Jackson Hole and Sun Valley in the next month or so...

Little One(U10) is playing up with some U14 girls(not her U12 girls team & obviously not her U10 boys team). Has scored 3 of their 5 goals in two competitive losses(more competitive than scores would have suggested).

Have skates, will travel.
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 20, 2015 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...parking sucks balls in Vail. Assume when we get use to this whole, parking garage wherever you go thing, maybe we'll be okay... Confused
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 20, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the parking garage game is strong in vail. made it easy to get high before it was legal though.
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 20, 2015 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were in Aspen late, they had already started the set up for XGames. Crazy what they do there to Buttermilk.

Side note, Aspen Square condos are awesome, though dependent. We had a monster, locked down to auto blinds, place was great. Our friends, not so much. Long story short, Aspen Square is sweet, make sure you ask for a monster.

Kinda become a fan of Hickory House.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 21, 2015 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it sounds like you're coming around on aspen a bit!

aspen square condo/hotel is about 2 blocks from where i first started staying in aspen, w/ the guy who taught me how to wakeboard. mountain employee housing, ftw. walk to city market, walk to the bars, bus to snowmass or buttermilk 3 blocks away.

hickory house is a must stop for a gigantic breakfast when we're there. whatever day we aren't going to the mountain, i'm eating about 4 plates of breakfast there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Add To Favorites

Jump to: