Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

2015 NCAA Football Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: St. Thomas, MO

PostPosted: Aug 21, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long until Briles is canned at Baylor?

Quote:
‏@Mark_Schlabach
In a statement to #ESPN, Washington's Chris Petersen said he told Baylor's Art Briles about Ukwuachu's violent past

"When you've got that many stars on your hat, you're pretty good." - Keith Jackson
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Aug 21, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Briles is likely screwed if Petersen told him everything.

The whole thing is disgusting, but sadly, no longer surprising.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2015 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

briles isn't going anywhere. he made baylor relevant. that school has never had the visibility, recognition, alumni involvement, fundraising, etc that it's had the last 5 years. there will be sacrificial lambs (pun intended for god-school), but briles is the king of waco.
htownbdr
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Aug 22, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^Agreed. Unless Briles murdered or sexually assaulted someone himself, he is not going anywhere.

I am hoping that Starr, like him or not, knows enough about the law and its processes that there is a justifiable/defensible reason for Baylor's actions/inactions (I may be biased here).

Either way, it is an unfortunate situation for all parties involved...Except for SU. May he suffer from the same footlong issue as Subway Jared.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2015 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mgs917
Addict
Addict

City: Spartanburg

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2015 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, Nice little post from Entourage, I like it.
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Sark stuff makes me laugh. Much ado about nothing. Though a bit of an embarrassment, you'd think the guy was turning a blind eye to a kids abusing women(sexually/physically).
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.J., it's a complete joke. He embarrassed himself and himself only and deserves all the jokes at his expense. The rest is a news/media fabricated mountain made of a molehill.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
ohsix
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a business partner on the Baylor BOR who was on a conference call with Briles, Starr, and others while we were fishing last week.

Briles story is that Peterson called him and thought it best Sam went back to Texas. Briles also called Sam's high school coach and talked to him about the Sam. He's a good athlete that needs some guidance and attention according to all his coaches. Sam transferred to Baylor and allegedly raped a female soccer player. Baylor did a title 9 investigation (not a criminal investigation) and suspended Sam pending the criminal investigation. At one point, only known to the DA and a handful of others, including the Baylor athletic department, the girl and Sam agreed to a plea bargain. After the plea bargain Sam would be reinstated to the team which is why Phil Bennett made remarks to the effect that Sam would rejoin the team. Later, the girl changed her mind on the plea bargain and the case went to trial where Sam was convicted and subsequently dismissed from the team. As far as Baylor's title 9 investigation being insufficient for the criminal trial, it wasn't a criminal investigation and was never meant to be. The DA asked Baylor for the information regarding their title 9 investigation which Baylor provided. Based on the data from the title 9 investigation, the DA asked that the Baylor investigation not be allowed as evidence in the criminal trial.
eeven73

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Aug 25, 2015 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.J. wrote:
This Sark stuff makes me laugh. Much ado about nothing. Though a bit of an embarrassment, you'd think the guy was turning a blind eye to a kids abusing women(sexually/physically).

There being no video, except vine, makes it last longer because it leaves the reported facts up to the imagination. Sark being horsecollard off stage by Haden.

churchy

City: Boise, ID

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohsix, definitely a lot of he said, she said stuff going on here. However, I would believe Petersen over Briles. With Florida coming out and saying that they were informed of Sam's issues by BSU, it doesn't help the Baylor cause.
ohsix

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

churchy, my understanding is that Briles confirms he talked to Peterson and knew of the issues at BSU. I haven't watched any of the news on this, but it sounds like the media is saying Peterson conveyed to Briles that the kid was a known rapist, when Briles is saying he knew what trouble the kid had gotten into at Boise because Peterson told him, but he did not expect Sam to rape someone.

The overall feel of the Baylor conference call was that they had done everything correct and the media was spinning information to make it look as bad as possible calling the Baylor investigation so inadequate that the judge wouldn't accept it (insinuating it was some type of criminal investigation instead of a Title 9 investigation, and that the judge made any kind of ruling of the investigation other than granting the DA's request to not have it admitted). The media also tries to insinuate that Peterson warned Briles that the kid was going to rape someone and Briles ignored him. The Baylor solution as of Friday was to provide the media with all the correct information and hope they quit trying to spin it as more than it is.

I think it's gotten blown out of proportion due to Baylor's past athletic department problems. I'm not a Baylor homer by any means, but I've had a little bit of an inside track for the last couple of years, and I think they're trying to do what's right and make progress as a school.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2015 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no one is saying peterson told briles the kid was a known rapist - he had anger issues, not rape issues (at least until he got to waco).

it's not getting blown out of proportion - it's a pretty shltty thing briles, and baylor, did here.

briles took a kid w/ known anger issues (not a big deal - kids deserve second chances), then kept him on the team after he allegedly raped another baylor athlete (pretty big deal), then kept him on the team after he was indicted (kind of a huge deal). that's a lot of extra chances. most coaches would have cut ties w/ the allegation, and certainly after the indictment.

baylor pulling the girl's scholarship while keeping the accused on scholarship is pretty terrible as well.
ohsix

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2015 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:

briles took a kid w/ known anger issues (not a big deal - kids deserve second chances), then kept him on the team after he allegedly raped another baylor athlete (pretty big deal), then kept him on the team after he was indicted (kind of a huge deal). that's a lot of extra chances. most coaches would have cut ties w/ the allegation, and certainly after the indictment.

baylor pulling the girl's scholarship while keeping the accused on scholarship is pretty terrible as well.

So he should have been kicked off the team immediately? Guilty until proven innocent? I'm not sure what protocol is, but I think suspending the kid pending the investigation is fair. I think Texas kicked a couple of players off their team for an alleged sexual assault in San Antonio, but reinstated them once the smoke cleared and I think that was the wrong thing to do.

I know if I was falsely accused of something and people cut ties with me based on an accusation, those bridges would be permanently burned, even after/if my innocence was proven.

I have no tolerance for rapists and I'm for any punishment for someone convicted of rape, but I've known enough BSC girls to believe every accused rapist should have their right to a fair trial before they're labeled a rapist by society.

I haven't heard any of the circumstances surrounding the girl's scholarship.
htownbdr
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't followed all the 1,000,001 articles about this. But I had it as:
- briles took SU after a call with Peterson (the statement from Boise state verified they didn't know he had an abuse problem)
- he came to baylor, a rape was alleged, indictment came.
- either at allegations or indictment (I think indictment), we suspended him from the football team and we did not revoke his scholarship. I am convinced the girls scholarship has no correlation to this.
- performed a title IX investigation
- plea bargain happened
- comment about him playing for us in the fall
- SU was convicted
- the media began to hate and do they spin that they do.
Maybe we should have revoked the scholarship...maybe. Now with the benefit of hindsight, sure. But, I am with ohsix on this. We are innocent until proven guilty.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2015 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he got 1 chance at boise st
he got another when he was accused - complete w/ rape kit, etc and was not even suspended (i would have kicked him off here)
he got a third when he was indicted, but again, not even suspended and continued practicing w/ the team (he 100% should have been kicked off here)
nothing happened to him until he was convicted in court.

the texas situation went as follows:
2 guys w/ no previous issues are accused w/ nothing but a verbal statement
both are immediately suspended and sent home from the bowl game
no charges filed after it was established that while creepy, there's nothing illegal about having your buddy film while you consensually sex a chick.

Last edited by jt09 on Aug 26, 2015 4:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htownbdr wrote:
We are innocent until proven guilty.

that's a legal standard, not a university standard. there's a million things kids get kicked out of school for w/o meeting the legal definition of guilty.

schools, and especially university athletic programs, shouldn't need the legal system to make a decision like this.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htownbdr wrote:
- either at allegations or indictment (I think indictment), we suspended him from the football team and we did not revoke his scholarship. I am convinced the girls scholarship has no correlation to this.

the girl's scholarship was pulled long before the indictment. she was f*ed up in the head and her performance suffered, so her coach took her scholarship.

he was still working out w/ the team after the indictment, according to the texas monthly article, citing this from 2 weeks after the 7/25 indictment:
http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/baylor/football/baylor-walk-on-starting-nickelback-no-surprise-to-bennett/article_fa0cbe82-0096-5165-bb26-f2f436a0d543.html
Junior defensive end Sam Ukwuachu, a transfer from Boise State, isn’t practicing with the team but has been on the field doing conditioning work.
htownbdr
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything I have read says he was suspended from the team at indictment. Citing the extremely biased, uninformed, one-sided texas monthly article, that has now mostly been disproven by the Boise statement, seems a little outdated.

This is a legal proceeding (criminal actually), so seems a legal precedent is appropriate.

At Boise st, according to their own statement, they had no knowledge of sexual misconduct. Their reason for dismissal was he was having emotional issues (suicidal tendencies) and Peterson thought he would be better close to home. Not a strike 1.

Comes to baylor, alleged sexual molestation (indictments usually follow shortly thereafter). Somewhere around here he was suspended from the team. Strike 1,2 and 3. Splitting hairs between alleged and indictment also seems a little arbitrary.

I certainly don't condone any form of sexual violence. But, in fairness, the jury recommended probation only for a sentencing. It was the judge (a baylor grad) that increased jail to 6 months. Seems like a very, very light sentence for such a high crime. Ergo, just one of the reasons I think there is no correlation between her scholarship and this event.

The only issue I see here that could have been handled differently here was his scholarship. Should we or shouldn't we have pulled it. In hindsight, sure. at the time of alleged or indictment, a judgement call.

In fairness though, I am a donor and season ticket holder so, while I would like to remain unbiased, I am likely not.
wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Aug 27, 2015 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damnit, OSU's WR corps took another hit last night. Three WR's were already suspended heading into the game. I don't think depth is really an issue, but experience sure as hell is.

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2015/08/58236/noah-brown-suffers-major-leg-injury-during-ohio-state-practice-wednesday

"When you've got that many stars on your hat, you're pretty good." - Keith Jackson
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 27, 2015 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$EC! $EC! $EC!

Quote:
By BEN COHEN
Aug. 26, 2015 8:28 p.m. ET

In 2013, Auburn University’s curriculum review committee took up the case of a small, unpopular undergraduate major called public administration. After concluding that the major added very little to the school’s academic mission, the committee voted to eliminate it.

But according to internal documents and emails reviewed by The Wall Street Journal, the committee’s decision was ultimately overruled by top administrators after it met significant opposition from another powerful force on campus: Auburn’s athletic department.

In addition to meeting with the school’s provost to urge him to spare public administration, the documents show, top athletic officials also offered to use athletic department funds, if necessary, to help pay its professors and support staff. Gary Waters, Auburn’s senior associate athletic director for academic services, wrote in an email in January 2013 that athletics had made “similar investments in academic programs during the last few years,” although in those cases, he added, “it has not been publicized.”

In the fall semester of 2013, more than half of the roughly 100 students majoring in public administration were athletes, records show, including nearly all of the top stars on the Auburn football team, which would win the Southeastern Conference title and play in the national-championship game. “If the public administration program is eliminated, the [graduation success rate] numbers for our student-athletes will likely decline,” a December 2012 internal athletic department memo said.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/at-auburn-athletics-and-academics-collide-1440635278
churchy

PostPosted: Aug 27, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... regarding the SU case, do you guys believe Florida received different information than Baylor about Sam's situation?
Chad H

City: Atlanta

PostPosted: Aug 27, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09,
Embarassed
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 27, 2015 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notre dame looks ready to go:

goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Aug 28, 2015 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^
that's awesome.

wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Aug 28, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah, Illinois just fired their HC!

http://www.fightingillini.com/news/2015/8/28/Football_0828155855.aspx

Quote:
During a preliminary briefing from the external reviewers, Thomas said he learned of efforts to deter injury reporting and influence medical decisions that pressured players to avoid or postpone medical treatment and continue playing despite injuries. He also said in some instances student-athletes were treated inappropriately with respect to whether they could remain on scholarship during the spring semester of their senior year if they weren't on the team

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 28, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure they'll see any difference.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 29, 2015 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://prevailandride.blogspot.com/2015/08/2015-college-football-preview-in-ms.html
eeven73

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Sep 01, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guernica, really?

I really am more of a prechild Thujone fan. Wink Laughing

Go Ducks!

fish6942
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Sep 01, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much drama.. I think I'll stick with following my kid's HS football team.
churchy

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jryoung, are you coming to Boise?
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 02, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

y'all keep an eye out for me in tallahassee this sat night! should be super easy, since we're on national tv! ...if you have espn news. i'll be in the upper deck wearing a gold shirt and a maroon hat...in a stadium full of people wearing maroon-ish and gold...

but seriously, i know i've pissed a lot of you off over the years, but i'd appreciate a prayer for my bobcats as we take the field against the seminoles. Shocked Mad Neutral
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2015 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^Ive got you, Jt!

GAMEDAY!! Though I have a little business this morning, I'm sneaking out around noon to head up to the Little Mans house for a few beers, then over to the tailgate lot(just a few blocks) to bounce threw friends set ups, for some food/drinks/cigar...then HOME to watch the game.

GO UTES!!!
wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.J. wrote:
GO UTES!!!

Amen!

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 03, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i want tosu to beat the everlovin piss out of vatech, but i wish like hell the game was being played 2:30 sat. i'm going to be at a tailgate w/ an insufferable vatech jackass in tallahassee and i'd love for him to be sad/quiet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Add To Favorites

Jump to: