Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Ford Raptor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Jun 15, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not going to win a drag race, but it's a truck, so who cares. Even their V6 is a decent setup these days.

We really wanted to pick up a JGC EcoDiesel last year. Just could not justify the $$ given the amount of driving we do.

I hope these continue to sell well. It will only mean good things for the USA truck market.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Calgary

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at the Dodge 1500 diesel. Having owned a Diesel truck for the past 12 years I figured it would be a close race between a gas 1/2 ton and a diesel 1/2 ton.

It really wasn't close. To me the Dodge felt sluggish and way underpowered just driving it around. The lag time wasn't good for the turbo compared to the Ford Eco boost. I know it's a truck, but to me if you get a 1/2 ton it has to be a little bit of fun to drive and the Dodge didn't rank well against the Ford and Chevy. I think I'd go back to Diesel in a half ton if they made something more comparable to the 3/4 ton Diesel engines. For now, better mileage vs the underpowered feel and extra cost of Diesel didn't really work for me.

Plus the turn knob thing to put the Dodge into drive reverse ect ect is about as gay as you can get. Maybe that works in a prius, but a truck come on. Even that alone was reason enough not to buy one...

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we have become accustomed to inflated acceleration numbers. Back in the day the 8.9 0-60 the 1/2 ton diesel is rated at would have been considered pretty damn snappy.

That along with 240hp/430lbft of torque would have made it a class leader back in the day.

I'd take not fast but tows like a champ over fast but tows moderately almost any day. Especially when high 20 MPG numbers are in the mix for the turtle.

The dial thing really just needs some getting used to (I think we all need to get used to it soon, honestly). That's all that is really happening with the shift levers in automatics these days anyway - it's just a switch...

jjaszkow
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Some Airport

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My truck has the dial. It was really strange to begin with, but now I am more used to that than the shift lever. As chavez mentions, the days of shift linkages on automatic transmissions are long gone.

The diesel isn't available in the Sport trim level, otherwise that would have gotten some serious consideration. It's definitely a bit more sluggish than the 5.7, but still more than enough performance for our uses.
Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 18, 2015 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chavez how often do you tow? I'm the opposite at this point which is the reason I got rid of my F250. The new truck tracks how many miles I've towed. Right now I'm at around 20% of the time I've been towing the boat.

The 80/20 rule, I'm not going to buy something that might cater to what I'm going to do 20% of the time or else I would have just kept the old truck.

Back in the day trucks drove like trucks. The Dodge still drives like a truck where as the Ford and the Chevy drive more like cars but still kick ass at truck applications. I have to say the F150 is pretty fun to drive. My wife hated driving the dodge, said the Ford and the Chevy were easier to get around town in. I made the decision based on the 80/20 rule and the fact that even at 20% the eco diesel wasn't really that much better and was terrible for the other 80% compared to the competition.

We're not "back in the day" anymore, so you might as well buy something that is "in the day". If you want back in the day I'm sure you can pick up a 1999 Chevy for about 2k and be happy with it... 2k vs 50k that's a lot of savings you can put to your fuel bill over the course of 5 years.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 18, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bambamski, I only need to tow a few times a year these days. Which is why I don't own a truck - for 99.9% of my use it would be pointless and cumbersome. When I need a truck I just borrow my stepdad's '10 Ram 1500 or my uncle's '13 F150. Works great for me!

If I did need a truck (as I have in the past) I'd base the purchase on whatever the heck my needs were. I can say that "fun to drive" and "trucks" are two things that don't usually mix in my brain. Laughing

Realistically though, for my limited towing needs I am likely going to slap a hitch on the superVan and use that. It's rated at 3500 which is more than enough for most things I'd drag behind me anyhow. I actually slapped a hitch on my wagon already so I could tow <2000lb loads (planning future light dirtbike trailer).

jjaszkow
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Some Airport

PostPosted: Jun 18, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bambamski wrote:
The Dodge still drives like a truck
My own observation was actually the opposite. When we were looking, we had narrowed it down to the F150 and the Ram, and after driving them both decided that the Ram drove more like a car. That said, visibility definitely leaves a bit to be desired.
Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 18, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjaszkow

And that's why there are different styles and companies. Something you liked didn't obviously rank very high on my priority list!

Chavez, compared to trucks of old, the new ones are so much nicer to drive. Coming from my super duty, I had no idea how much better the 1/2 would drive. Yes when I say fun to drive, that's relative. The Vette is still a little bit more fun to drive. If I'm in a truck though, I really ended up picking what I thought was the most fun to drive vehicle there was out there.

Now the Tundra, what POS that thing is. Not a terrible truck to look at but when I see people driving them I wonder did you not drive anything else at all? I think that was my biggest surprise as the Tacoma pretty much owns the light truck market. Not sure how Toyota could fail that badly. I guess I do, the Japanese need to stick with what they do best, little things and leave the full size to the big three North America guys I guess.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 18, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bambamski, there is no doubt the new trucks are lightyears better than the old. Even my 00 F150/XLT/4x4/5.4l which at the time I thought was pretty cush is nothing like the 13 model my uncle has. Everything about the way it drives/handles is better. Everything!

I've never understood the Tundra or the Titan. It has to be a perceived reliability thing with owners. They do not appeal to me at all.

And the Vette is only a "little bit more fun to drive"? I think you are doing it wrong bam! Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Add To Favorites

Jump to: