Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

First Wakeboard Package Advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splats

City: Edinburgh

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: First Wakeboard Package Advice Reply with quote

Hi guys, I’m 36 from the UK and had the opportunity to wakeboard for the first time last summer. Having been solid on a snowboard back in the day, I took to it really easily and had a ball of a time.

I now wish to purchase my own board (rather package) and would like some advice on what to buy. The relevant information is:

1. I’m 6 foot tall on the nose
2. My weight it typically 14-stone (89kg), +/- 3kg
3. I’m technically a beginner but with my background in snowboarding I found it very easy to get up, turn, cross the wake, etc.
4. I loved freestyle snowboarding and will want to try tricks ASAP

The vast majority of my wakeboarding will be behind 5.5-6m Ribs with 90-115bhp outboards. My first concern is whether it is realistic to ever expect to get a pop off the wake created by such crafts. Is doing tricks behind a 6m rib with an outboard a realistic expectation or would I be p*ssing into the wind?

I’d very much appreciate suggestions on which board/binding package to go for and any other relevant considerations like tow-rope, etc. In addition, what length of board should I go for? In terms of budget, I’m probably looking at spending £250-350. Happy to push towards the upper end of that budget if I’m getting genuine added value.

At the moment, I'm thinking maybe something like this??

Over to you….
FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd look at a 144-ish board. Make sure to get good bindings. At least as important as a good board. Sucky bindings just... suck. Good bindings also just might save your ankles and knees.

If you have a chance to demo some boards definitely do that. Different shapes especially; continuous, 3 stage and hybrid rockers.

In the beginning you'll be fine behind that rib, but soon you'll want to ride behind something else. Imo it's actually better to learn with a smaller wake so you really have to focus on technique to get air.
But you better start saving for an inboard now!

Splats

City: Edinburgh

PostPosted: Jun 07, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can you tell what are good or bad binding? I've been looking at various board/binding combo's and googling for "reviews" of the various components but nothing useful ever comes up.

I'm probably leaning towards the Jobe Vanity with Job Host Bindings. Anybody got thoughts on the board or binding? The bindings look fairly substantial and supportive - certainly more so than the O'Brien Device bindings. However, I have no idea if that's in any way representative of higher quality.

Also, I've been reading about how bindings release during big spills. How do they actually do that? They don't appear to click in like a snow ski would. Is it simply the case that the laces should be snug but loose enough to allow the foot to come out?
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Jun 08, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 196 lbs you would need to ride something over 140cm. I would stick with the largest size board in each series you look at. Most companies will have a 134, 138,142 size in each board line. Stick to something at 142cm and up.

Wakeboard bindings just release when your feet come out. they do not detach like snowboard gear.

I would look at some mid-level packages. there are some really good mid-level packages this year from a number of companies. The Ronix district, the Hyperlite Murray and the Hyperlite Marek. The Liquid force Harley classic is a good price package with bindings.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: