Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

booking Florida any suggestions.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Calgary

PostPosted: Dec 29, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: booking Florida any suggestions. Reply with quote

I'm booking flights either today or tomorrow. This is the tentative itinerary at this point. Let me know if I should add things subtract things...or things to do that I haven't thought of.

Fly into Orlando April 16th.
We have a 4 bedroom suite at the Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort for 8 days. Its not a Disney resort but it's on the Disney grounds. We are taking the family so there will be a total of 7 of us, 5 adults and 2 kids. We've looked at Disney park passes. The 5 day pass is only a 100 bucks more than the four day pass so we'll probably get that. Are their any cheaper places to buy passes or get the fast passes? I figured a day or two at the different water parks around the area and a couple of days hanging out in the pools around the resort. Our kids will take off on the 24th for home.

The wife and I were thinking we'd fly from Orlando down to Key West and hanging out down there for two days. Then renting a car and driving back to Miami on the 26th and staying in Miami (south beach) for a couple of days and flying home the 29th.

I'm not taking my kite gear this trip, not sure if there's any place to rent while I'm in Key west or Miami or if there's any places to ride in the area. Also was looking to do a day of fishing. Would like to do a gator or glades tour maybe?

I've never been to Florida so any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

ohsix
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

PostPosted: Dec 29, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocco's Tacos /aubs

Key West is cool for a day or two. Stay close to Duval street. A car is useless except to get to Key West and back. Duval street is 1.2 miles from ocean to ocean. If you're lazy you can rent scooters about every 1/8th mile. I didn't find the drive down from Miami to be that great. I guess it's worth doing once, but I would fly in and out given the option.

I've been to Miami a couple of times, and it's a cool place, but I don't have any strong desire to go back. I've never done a gator or glades tour. I did tour the Kennedy Space Center once which was cool. You could also hit Ft. Lauderdale for a day or two. It's a nice area, but again, it's not at the top of my list of places to visit again. If you go to Key West, Miami/South Beach, and Ft. Lauderdale, you've covered the South Florida gamut, so if you're not impressed, you won't have to return and wonder if you missed something. Since you're already going to Orlando, you could go to Naples on the west coast (I think that's what Floridians call it) and you could check all the Florida boxes in one trip.
Partyb
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Lantana, FL

PostPosted: Dec 29, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you have a decent plan already. I would not change your general plan. KW is great for a couple days, rent a bicycle instead of a moped maybe. That will get you around fine and hopefully will avoid a DUI and multiple traffic infractions. Irish Kevins is my fav bar there. But just go up and down Duvall and you will figure it out. Also honestly one of the best things to do on Duvall is the drag show. You'll find it! It's a 4 hour drive from KW to Miami. It has about one or two hours of gorgeous scenery if you go during the day, especially mid-day when the sun is high and the water sparkles. Making that drive any other time is a waste. In Miami, just hang out in the south beach area.

If you want a fishing charter, let me know, will refer you properly. For backcounty/gators, etc...that's easy and can be done out of Miami no problem. You will need a car to get to them however.

Faust
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Dec 29, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great timeframe, couple weeks after spring break and the weather will be perfect.

Personally I would spend more time on the beach. I would go crazy with 8 days in Orlando. But if Disney is your family's thing then its a good plan.
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Jackson

PostPosted: Dec 29, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's too long in Orlando for my preference. I would much rather be on the beach. I'm with Ohsix on the Key West drive, did it once and will fly it now. There are some decent places to stop off at along the way, but be prepared for a lot of 35-40 MPH driving stuck behind someone.

Key West - we stayed at Sourhernmost on the Beach - nice enough. We enjoyed walking Duvall and then back up to the marina area. There were a lot of art places my wife bought a bunch of photography at around the marina, toured Hemingway's house, etc. Old Town Bakery for breakfast, Hogfish Bar and Grill was good for supper, and Better than Sex for drinks and dessert.

Miami Beach - we got a suite at the Z Ocean Hotel. It was extremely nice, across from the beach, and near the outdoor market area. We hung out on the beach, drove around quite a bit, and did nothing memorable.

Personally I would skip all of it and spend a week in Sanibel/Captiva. Laid back old Florida feel, great beaches and shelling, excellent fishing from anywhere, rent a boat and run up the Intercoastal, etc.
arof
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Toronto

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are heading to Florida tomorrow. Fort Lauderdale for a few days followed by Stuart for a wedding.

For Gator/swamp tours, I recommend Billy Swamp Safari. I've done it twice and both times was very enjoyable. It's about an hour in land from the coastal area. You can do it all in a few hours (swamp buggy, air boat, check out the animal they've got caged up and maybe a show) and it's very enjoyable - you'll see lots of animals.

Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disneyworld is the family thing for sure. None of us have ever been, the kids are the perfect age and pretty much are crazy for all the rides. I figured 4 days of Disney and area is probably all I can take. Couple of days of waterparks and a day or two just at the bonnet creek resort. Apparently there are 7 different hotels/pools on the property which we have access too.

I'm a beach ocean person as well. So this time I've been outvoted or I'd rather be closer to the beach for more of the vacation...

Sounds like the drive from Keywest to Miami is worth it once. I found a flight, Silver Airlines I think it is for 160 bucks a ticket from Orlando to Key west. Does that sound about right?

Suggestions for a key west hotel and something on South beach would be great. haha the drag show... sounds fun, they don't have a lot of that in Calgary...

Thanks for the input. Brew I get the Laid back beaches for sure. That would be for the second trip, for the first one I think I want to see sequined bikinis and with girls walking in the sand in high heels, total cheesy Miami type beaches the first time around...

ohsix

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bambamski wrote:
Suggestions for a key west hotel and something on South beach would be great.

I've stayed at The Betsy and the Marriott Stanton in South Beach. Both were decent. The Betsy is an old hotel with a cool feel. Not your typical hotel at all. The Marriott was a pretty typical beach hotel.

I've stayed at Southernmost on the Beach in Key West. I wasn't impressed with it. I think it's more of a motel than a hotel and as the fat kid on Modern Family says "You lose a lot of amenities when the H turns into an M." It's nice and well kept, but it has outdoor hallways, the rooms are nothing special, and there's not a lot going on there compared to the other end of Duvall. I just used the hotel as a place to sleep and eat breakfast before hitting Duvall for the day and it was good for that.
eeven73

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed the drive to KW from MIA, granted I was coming from rainy Oregon to MIA in Dec. The drive and KW were pretty dead when I was there which was ok by me, don't crave a shitshow. I can see the point of fine to do once though. Less visuals than I had expected. Probably would be miserable if it was bumper to bumper.
Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2015 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the call on booking a hotel in Key west. Do you go beach hotel or something on Duval off the beach?

I'm still debating if I rent the car when I get there or just when I drive it back to Miami. I know partyb said rent the bike which is very appealing. Is it worth if to have the option of the car though? Are there any places to drive to around key west? or is it just a tiny little sand bar kind of like the outer banks in North Carolina?

LFADAM

City: New York City

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you still have your rental car in South Beach, a good afternoon activity would be to visit the mainland to get some Cuban food in Little Havana and/or check out Wynwood (neighborhood with amazing street art and cool bars)
Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LFADAM,

I thought all of south beach was very Cuban. But ya that's a good suggestion to check out tx. Although we have been to the real Havana which is also very cool Very Happy

Partyb
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bambamski wrote:
What's the call on booking a hotel in Key west. Do you go beach hotel or something on Duval off the beach?

I'm still debating if I rent the car when I get there or just when I drive it back to Miami. I know partyb said rent the bike which is very appealing. Is it worth if to have the option of the car though? Are there any places to drive to around key west? or is it just a tiny little sand bar kind of like the outer banks in North Carolina?

You rent as close to Duvall as economically possible. There are places to drive outside of KW, like if you want to go to another key like Big Pine or Marathon but you will have no reason for that, everything in KW is bike close. You don't even want a car in KW. Look at a map, the entire length of Duvall is walkable. I drive to KW, park my car, rent a bike, get in my car when I leave for home.

Aubs
Motorboat Queen
Motorboat Queen

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohsix wrote:
Rocco's Tacos /aubs

ASS.

How old are the kids that are going? Don't you think a day at Universal Studios (Minion ride, Harry Potter world, etc.) would be better than 4 days at Disney? I was just there a few weeks ago and can give you more information on that if you want.

What kind of stuff do you guys like to do? Fish? Drink? Kayak? Sit on the beach?
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Jan 05, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed on Universal/Hollywood Studios if the Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, Epcot, water park thing gets old. If the kids/family is up for the beach, you could make the drive over to the Tampa area for a decent beach. Clearwater is pretty nice and barely more than an hour to the beach if you avoid rush hour traffic.
Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 05, 2015 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aubs,

Kids are 6 and 8. Both about the same height and basically will go on any ride they are tall enough for.

Can you buy a multi park pass that gets you into both Disney and Universal? It does sound like we need to do a couple of days of Disney and a couple of days of Universal....

Things we like to do... In Orlando i'm thinking it will be Disney/Universal/Water park activities.

When my wife and I head to Key west and Miami I'm pretty easy. I like to kiteboard but won't have my gear with me so I'm thinking it will be too much of a hassle renting gear. Key west probably just walking around, eating and drinking for the most part. It doesn't sound like it's really a beach place so I'll leave hanging out on the beach to Miami south beach area.

I would like to go fishing but I don't think we really have time as we'll have two days in Key west and two days in Miami.

Aubs
Motorboat Queen
Motorboat Queen

PostPosted: Jan 05, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you can't unfortunately get combo passes for both. Check AAA - they sometimes have discounted tickets. Not super discounted, but slightly.
Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 06, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if Costco sells just the theme park tickets?
Aubs
Motorboat Queen
Motorboat Queen

PostPosted: Jan 06, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sometimes do - it really depends on the season. Oh wait, maybe those are the packages (hotel, ticket, transportation, etc.) I have to head to Costco later this week and I can ask when I go if you'd like!

When it comes to hotels for Disney & Universal, staying on property may cost you more, but typically benefits come from that (transportation to/from airport, entering the parks an hour early/staying at the parks an hour later, etc.)

I used to have great connections to get discounted Disney and Universal tickets ($25/day!!!!) but not since we've moved back down to south Florida Sad Sorry!
STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Jan 07, 2015 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HIJACK: anyone have ideas for lunch in ft. lauderdale? we have a few hours between our flight and when we check in for a cruise and several more before our flight home. this is feb 5 and 9.
ohsix

PostPosted: Jan 07, 2015 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STPHNSN23 wrote:
HIJACK: anyone have ideas for lunch in ft. lauderdale? we have a few hours between our flight and when we check in for a cruise and several more before our flight home. this is feb 5 and 9.

Thought you'd never ask:
www.roccostacos.com

Laughing
STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Jan 07, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well obviously, but i'm not going back for lunch a second time when we get back unless the guac is as fantastic as aubs says.
Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2015 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hahaha ok I have to go to Rocco's when I'm down there....

Thanks Aubs I searched the Costco website and it has packages but it looked like you had to stay at a Disney resort to get the deals? Just day tickets is what i'm looking for. Also heard the parking passes can be bought on EBAY for the Disney parking.

We are staying at the Wyndham Bonnet Creek which apparently is on the Disney Property but it's not a Disney hotel. It came pretty highly recommended by friends and we rented a four bedroom unit which full kitchen laundry ect ect. So it should be great.

Partyb
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2015 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STPHNSN23 wrote:

I would just take cab down to the beach, walk the beach/sidewalk and there is tons of stuff there. The old FLL spring break "strip." Maybe 5 miles each way.

brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Jackson

PostPosted: Jan 14, 2015 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bambaski, Key West itself is definitely not a beach destination. There are a couple very small beaches built, but they are usually overloaded. Southernmost has one, but it's maybe 100 feet wide and may actually be smaller than that. They do have a dock, you can go off of to get into the water also.

You can take day trips to islands, drive back to some other keys, go out on a boat, etc to get into the water and find beaches though. Fishing is great, diving is great, I would think boarding would be decent.

Drinking is probably the primary visitor activity in Key West though.
Aubs
Motorboat Queen
Motorboat Queen

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stphnsn23 - Take a cab to Las Olas Blvd in Ft. Lauderdale. There's a bunch of great restaurants down there. Big City has a great brunch (bottomless mimosas and BM's for $15). I've heard really great things about Fork & Balls (a bagillion types of meat balls) too, but haven't been.

Or you can get a cab to Commercial Blvd & a1a (on the beach). Aruba's is a typical Florida/beach/bar with a buffet lunch on the weekends. Oceans 234 is there too, not sure if they're open for lunch but that's a favorite happy hour spot.
STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Jan 16, 2015 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, Aubs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: