Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Living off the grid
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tracktor
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Vancouver, WA

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twitch88 wrote:
Tracktor wrote:
I live about as close to off the grid without cutting electricity which we could live without if/when needed.

I'm callin bs on that one. What is your long term plan for food storage? You just gonna go buy ice every week or go to the store to buy food everyday? That is not living sans electricity. We go without electricity for literally weeks at a time during heavy storms and the refrigerator is without a doubt the most important appliance known to man.

Call BS all you want it's ok with me. If you think there are people out there that don't raise animals/vegetables for food & store grain/freeze dried food (plus a stuff ton of ammo) that's your right. A gennie system is pretty common thing these days so refrigeration isn't really an issue but some of us are prepared even if it is................You realize people lived for many years prior to electricity & refrigeration, right? Turn off the TV and read a bit...................
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LFADAM wrote:
jason_ssr, you do know that there are very strict rules for how close a well can be to a septic drain field? They have to be quite far apart to not contaminate your well or your neighbor's well or even a nearby waterway. You could never have septic systems in an urban area and not contaminate the groundwater.

My point was that you don't have to be on city sewage to successfully live in a neighborhood. There are basic rules of thumb that people have used for some time that protect themselves. Water wells go deep. Field lines are just under the surface.

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
twitch88
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: up the hill, ca

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracktor wrote:
twitch88 wrote:
Tracktor wrote:
I live about as close to off the grid without cutting electricity which we could live without if/when needed.

I'm callin bs on that one. What is your long term plan for food storage? You just gonna go buy ice every week or go to the store to buy food everyday? That is not living sans electricity. We go without electricity for literally weeks at a time during heavy storms and the refrigerator is without a doubt the most important appliance known to man.

Call BS all you want it's ok with me. If you think there are people out there that don't raise animals/vegetables for food & store grain/freeze dried food (plus a stuff ton of ammo) that's your right. A gennie system is pretty common thing these days so refrigeration isn't really an issue but some of us are prepared even if it is................You realize people lived for many years prior to electricity & refrigeration, right? Turn off the TV and read a bit...................

I do realize that people (including myself) raise animals for food purposes and have gardens, thank you for asking though. I also am fully aware of the modern contrivance known as the generator, or gennie as you refer to it. Did you not catch the part where I stated that our household goes weeks at a time without electrical service? I much rather let my generator power my refrigerator for food preservation than resort to archaic methods. You said that living without electricity would be no problem for you. I'm not sure if you realize this or not but a generator generates electricity, hence the name, so I'm not sure why that was even part of your rebuttal. I also understand that people lived for eons before the advent of modern electricity, I also realize that you are not one of them.

Oh and I don't have television.

jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Boerne

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twitch88, you seem angry...and contradictory, i dont get it, you "correct" someone about what a generator produces, yet you claim to go without electricity WHILE using a generator?
twitch88
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I claim to go without electric service as stated. I am more than happy to use my generator to be able to utilize my refrigerator. I am not the one who boasted about not needing electricity, I actually kind of like it.
jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-read your post buddy
twitch88
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did. It says electric service, as in from a utility. Then says I would rather use my generator than resort to other preservation methods. You seem angry.
jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2014 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-read the post before your angry attempt at a sarcastic, condisending post...apparently I have to be very specific with my "rebuttals," you can only comprehend your most recent post
twitch88
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mad bro?
jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, im a redskins fan AND i just traded for cousins in my ffb league...i also like to call out people when they try to "correct" people, but end up condtradicting themselves
twitch88
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never contradicted myself though. My original post had nothing to do with whether or not I have or use a generator. It wasn't a dick measuring contest to see who could last longer without electricity, it was simply bringing to light one of the many issues with not having electricity. When I say we go without electricity I am saying that like you know, the power went out, as in you know the utility company is no longer holding up their end of the bargain kinda thing.
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Jackson

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason_ssr wrote:
My point was that you don't have to be on city sewage to successfully live in a neighborhood. There are basic rules of thumb that people have used for some time that protect themselves. Water wells go deep. Field lines are just under the surface.

You do in the neighborhoods of today at least around where I live. I grew up on a well and septic system also. My nearest neighbor was probably a mile or so away. I also have a well and septic system at the lake house, so I like to think I have a good idea of how these things work.

The current population density in most areas require City systems.
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2014 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meh, we are probably all dealing with apples and oranges since we all look at it from our local point of view. Here, there are relatively tight neighborhoods that all run wells and septic without issue. It probably has more to do with water table logistics than population density.

I would assume Burmuda doesnt have a very deep watertable, lol

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
fish6942
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twitch88 wrote:
I claim to go without electric service as stated. I am more than happy to use my generator to be able to utilize my refrigerator. I am not the one who boasted about not needing electricity, I actually kind of like it.

No, actually you stated...

twitch88 wrote:

I'm callin bs on that one. What is your long term plan for food storage? You just gonna go buy ice every week or go to the store to buy food everyday? That is not living sans electricity.We go without electricity for literally weeks at a time during heavy storms and the refrigerator is without a doubt the most important appliance known to man.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twitch...I noticed your location shows as up the hill, ca. You live in the HD?
twitch88
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the Tahoe area.
twitch88
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish6942 wrote:
twitch88 wrote:

No, actually you stated...

twitch88 wrote:

I'm callin bs on that one. What is your long term plan for food storage? You just gonna go buy ice every week or go to the store to buy food everyday? That is not living sans electricity.We go without electricity for literally weeks at a time during heavy storms and the refrigerator is without a doubt the most important appliance known to man.

I guess the point of my original post was to annoy a few dimwits. I'll take it.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2014 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twitch88 wrote:
No, the Tahoe area.

Ah, up the hill and down the hill are common terms for around the HD area and you don't hear those terms used to describe too many other CA locations, so it stood out to me.

Tracktor
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twitch88 wrote:
Tracktor wrote:
twitch88 wrote:
Tracktor wrote:

I do realize that people (including myself) raise animals for food purposes and have gardens, thank you for asking though. I also am fully aware of the modern contrivance known as the generator, or gennie as you refer to it. Did you not catch the part where I stated that our household goes weeks at a time without electrical service? I much rather let my generator power my refrigerator for food preservation than resort to archaic methods. You said that living without electricity would be no problem for you. I'm not sure if you realize this or not but a generator generates electricity, hence the name, so I'm not sure why that was even part of your rebuttal. I also understand that people lived for eons before the advent of modern electricity, I also realize that you are not one of them.

Oh and I don't have television.

I am not even sure of your point but carry on with your bad self, Sparky.............
twitch88
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracktor,

Always do. You keep thinkin you don't need electricity with your bad self. But wait, then you wouldn't be able to grace the internet with you infinite wisdom. Hmm, quite the conundrum.

fish6942
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twitch - Your internet time is up for today. Please log off and allow the adults to carry on the conversation.
Tracktor
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Sep 29, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish6942 wrote:
Twitch - Your internet time is up for today. Please log off and allow the adults to carry on the conversation.

I say let him keep posting. After all, without his input I never would have realized that if the power ever goes out again I am going to die. Now I am making sure I have my affairs in order for just such a situation.........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: