Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

General Android OS Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: St. Thomas, MO

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2014 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be waiting to see what the next Nexus is like as well. Although the Moto X Gen 2 looks very nice.

"When you've got that many stars on your hat, you're pretty good." - Keith Jackson
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott a wrote:
Bumping this one up to see if anyone saw anything they liked from IFA (hardware related) or from Apple (hardware or software).

If the Sony Xperia z3 Compact comes to AT&T I'll be getting that. If not then I'm going to look hard at the Galaxy Alpha. I'm a fan of 4.7" and I'm glad that these two phones offer solid specs without being phablets. If I decide against both of these handsets then I'll be looking at the iPhone. Part of me wants to wait and see what the new Nexus handset(s) will be, but I have a feeling everything will be >5.0" and...meh.

The Xperia line is pretty damn awesome. It's really too bad they haven't gotten much run here in the US. The Z3 compact in particular has pretty much everything you want in a slightly smaller package.

I think, like Dave, the new Moto X is the hotness right now. After owning the Droid for over a year, it was a far better experience due to the lack of overlay nonsense. The MX ticks all the boxes, and does it very Nexus-like. It's also smaller than many of it's rivals despite having the 5.2" screen. I might be looking to pick one of these up soon after release - possibly off-contract.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I have a feeling that if the Z3 Compact doesnt make it to the US I'll end up with a Moto X. I just have so little desire to own a Samsung device.
wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Sep 15, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may have to wait and see if the z3 will be available since it has SD card support.

"When you've got that many stars on your hat, you're pretty good." - Keith Jackson
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 15, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Z3 and would seriously consider it... if only it would be available on VzW.

I'm highly interested in the "Quark" which sounds like the replacement for the Droid Maxx. Same everything as the X, but 50% bigger battery yet not humongous? Yeah, sounds like a winner to me - just as the last Maxx was. Other than Vz only availability, it was a superior phone to the 2013 Moto X in most ways.

scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 17, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moto X has a horrible battery life, says Anandtech.

My Nexus 4 also has horrible battery life so I think I'm crossing the MX off my list.

With Sony's horrible financials being reported today I'm hoping they wh@re out the Z3/Z3 Compact to all carriers in the USA. Fingers crossed!

wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2014 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully the rumors about the size of the new Nexus device are not true.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott a, I saw the tests at Anand. Disappointing to say the least.

Wifi - not great.

4G - middling

Running C/GPU intense stuff - RUH ROH

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakeboarderdave1 wrote:
Hopefully the rumors about the size of the new Nexus device are not true.

Agreed. 5.92" WTF are they thinking? That's way too big for everyday use unless you carry a purse. My options are slimming by the day. I really hope someone has just gone dyslexic and it's 5.29"

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moto X hits VZ tomorrow.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/09/25/verizon-version-of-the-moto-x-2014-will-be-available-from-moto-maker-tomorrow-september-26th/

scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sony is holding an event on October 9th...hopefully to announce that the Z3 line will be available in the USA.

And wtf at Shamu. I can see that happening if there's a smaller version that's going to follow a few months after its release, though.

wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Oct 16, 2014 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish google and apple would make these release announcements and actually have the product in store to buy or to test. I'll be waiting until I can use one to see if I can put up with a 6" device. If not, I'll probably pick up a N5 or the Z3C. The Z3C has all the specs I would want minus the fact that it's not running "pure" android.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 16, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MUST.OWN.DROID.TURBO.

scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 16, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Droid Turbo does look pretty sweet.

Nobody has (currently) announced that they're going to offer the Sony Z3 Compact on contract. it's about $500 off contract. I'll pop into a Sony store once it's available to see how it is. I'd prefer to pay $100 or $200 on contract so I'll probably wait until holiday season to see what ATT is going to offer. Honestly, nothing else really jumps out at me. I'm bummed that the new Moto X is that large. I'd love to see a 4.7" version of the N6.

Looking forward to Lollipop.

wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Nov 14, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody need a google inbox invite? I've got a few to give away.

scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2015 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galaxy S6 it is. Not the edge version, though. Picked it up on Friday afternoon.

For context, my previous phone is a Nexus 4.

+Feels solid.
+Hardware home button is nice.
+Fingerprint sensor is badass. I've always been a "swipe to unlock" person because if I lose my phone I'll just lock it remotely or wipe it. With a hardware home button w/ fingerprint sensor it's actually less effort to have it unlock via fingerprint than it is via swipe, and it's much more secure. I was not expecting this. Also...
+There's an app that allows me to require a fingerprint scan before entering specified apps. So when I open Gmail it asks for my fingerprint again. Seems like it could be useful for a family that uses the same device (fingerprints determine levels of access), but I'll eventually turn this one off I'm sure.
+AMOLED screen is great. Gets super bright, and also super dark. HUGE step up from my N4. Probably way overkill on the PPI...I still think FHD is just fine for a 5". We'll see how the battery life fares.
+Battery life hasn't blown me away. I haven't turned anything off at all, but none of the first three full charges lasted more than 30 hours. I kind of expected that they would since I'm not a bigtime power user or gamer or anything. With a few optimizations I'm sure things will get better, though.
+Loud speaker, and it's located on the bottom. Yay!
+Headphone jack is on the bottom. Yay!
+There's a heart rate monitor on the back. You can use that as the shutter while taking a selfie. Nice touch. I don't take selfies, though.
+Camera is outstanding. Everyone seems to be comparing this camera with the 6+ to see who is bestest...and at that point who cares. Samsung's camera app is slick, and has a bunch of shooting modes. The "Pro" mode, which takes advantage of the new Camera2 API, doesn't include a manual shutter speed setting so this current version of the camera app may not support the full API. But hardware-wise this thing seems legit.
+Double click on the home button and the camera opens. In my experience the camera has been ready to shoot before I've even brought the phone up to shoot with it. Is it as fast as the iPhone? Who effing cares.
+HDR is great. Hasn't made images look fake...just seems to back the highlights and shadow details. I haven't seen anything look too cartoony at all yet.
+Adaptive Quick Charge is insanely awesome. 50% charge in 30 minutes. I'll be getting a new charger for my truck very soon.

-Camera bump is obnoxious. If the phone is flat on the table it rattles around if I press on the side of the phone. Oh well.
-Lock button is too low. WTF. It's like halfway down the body of the phone. I'm guessing this is because they figure people will want to press the lock button and the home button without shuffling their right hand up/down the phone. I'll get used to this...at some point.
-If my hand is supposed to hold this phone near the bottom corner, then why did you put the friggin volume buttons in the absolute far upper corner? Argh. Makes no sense.
-Super slippery edges. I've already resigned myself to the fact that I'll be picking the phone up out of my pocket by grabbing the front and back of the glass with my fingers. With my N4 I would grab it by the sides because it had a nice grippy rubbery-feeling plastic.
-Too big. I'll miss a 4.7" screen. Still makes me wish the Sony Z3 Compact was more available here.
-I'm already a fan of not having onscreen buttons, but I keep forgetting that there's capacitive buttons on the side of the home button. Not helping is the fact that I already turned the backlighting on the capacitive keys off. I'm also already a fan of the back button being on the right side of the phone...easy one handed operation.
-I'm totally going to drop this thing one day. I'm not even going to be mad when it happens. I've never had a case on my phones, and I've done just fine. But this thing...man. We'll see how this goes.
-Nova Prime was pretty much the first thing I downloaded when I got this thing. Sorry, TouchWiz, but your clusterf*ck of a menu arrangement and notification shade is all that I'll be seeing of you. Even that's too much.
-Extremely sensitive touchscreen. Or, much more so than my N4. This thing registers touches even if I'm hovering my finger near the screen, or if my fingernail touches the screen sometimes. Need to get used to that. Makes it hard to text.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2015 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To address a few of your cons:

1) why shut off the backlight on the capacitive buttons? I guess I'd just know where they were in time, but I cannot imagine this will make a big difference in battery.

2) touchscreen sensitivity... do you have the hover features on? I forgot what they called this feature (air view??), but on the S4/S5 if you hover over something it can give you something like a preview. You may be able to shut it off (I did when I had my S4's).

I know you don't want a case... but what about a super slim clear TPU case? It will not add much to the phone, but will address your slippery issues and should eliminate the "rocking" on the camera bump.

scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 19, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) the light is pretty bright at night. It's also a bit of a distraction to see them go out after a set time, then come back on when I touch the screen, etc. I've got it pretty much memorized at this point.

2) Nope...dont see anything like that. There must be a setting somewhere and I'm just missing it, because now that you've mentioned 'air view' I've tried hovering my finger close to the screen, and it definitely registered a touch.

Just got back from camping, and shot around with the camera a bunch. Major impressed. I meant to shoot my S6 alongside my friend's iPhone 6+, but I ended up not even bothering. I mostly shot in 'gif mode' which allows me to take 20 photos in a row and then it creates a pretty crappy looking animated gif. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Add To Favorites

Jump to: