Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Lightning strike

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nmballa
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Milwaukee

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Lightning strike Reply with quote

So I was biking home from a BBQ late Sunday night when a storm swept through. Started pissing down and all of a sudden a bolt of lighting hit a transformer or something up in a pole about 15 feet from me. Brightest light i ever seen followed by a huge explosion with arcs jumping every which way. The surprise basically knocked me off my bike. Instantly the whole neighborhood just went dark. Scared the stuff out of me.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=509037985&ref=profile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds equal parts awesome and scary as Hell. Though if happening to me, 99/1 scary/awesome.
STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2014 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we got caught out in a storm during a soccer game earlier this summer. lightning hit a couple hundred yards away, but we felt it. it had all the hair on my arms standing up. definitely scary.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a close one. Closest I've had is about 50 yards away...it is a strange sensation and it's totally different than lightning farther away.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from about 5 years ago

jt09 wrote:
yep, i did indeed. had a wedding in houston. the place god tried to drown this friday and saturday. i wrote this up on sunday night:

my date had to get her explorer out of the airport parking lot before we could leave for houston. $160 to get it out. she went to la last week and stayed a couple of extra days. @$20/day. (her $$, not mine)

braincramped and kept heading down 71 instead of 183. this f*cked my plan to eat ribs and sausage at city market.

fought through a HELL of a storm all the way down 71. leaning forward and squinting through the brutal downpour, keeping the truck from hydroplaning, keeping it stable through 8-12" at speed. not quite white knuckle, but fairly tense.

got to i10 and the weather let up quite a bit. settled for mikeskas on the fly and put down a sliced beef sammich, 2 ribs and some coleslaw. solid c+. decent, but i wouldn't ever recommend it. kind of a good thing we missed luling and had some extra time by now, because we were about to need it.

bbq eaten, hands cleaned, sun is trying to come out and at 230/300ish on friday, i10 is pretty light, so we are ahead of schedule (i need to be at the wedding rehearsal by 530). then BOOM!! the LOUDEST f*cking BANG! and the entire front of the explorer EXPLODES. i shlt you not - sparks and flames shooting out EVERYWHERE - smoke coming into the cab under the glove box. like someone threw a molotov cocktail that hit right under the front of the hood.

i thought we ran over something in the road, but she saw it - we had been struck by lighting. hand of god trying to test my ass! it had come straight down into the antenna, which was now glowing red, missing the top 1/3, and curled over like a cartoon. the car immediately went dead w/ no power steering at all. i was able to get us off to the side where we came down from hyperventilating. after we called our friends in houston and convinced them we weren't bullshitting to be funny and jacking w/ the bride, we tried to start it and it fired right up.

still a bit freaked out and driving on half the instruments - no window power, radio, speedometer, windshield wipers (right as the speed slowed and rain picked up), we continued east. about 20 or so minutes later, a guy comes up on our side honking and pointing at our tires. sure enough left rear is about FLAT. we limp to a gas station and it's on the rim. i pump in a bunch of air to see what's going on w/ the leakage and damned it there isn't a huge tear right down the middle - the spot where the lightning left the car, is our assumption. another gas station to air up, several u-turns and a hard as hell to find discount tire, $80 (we split it) and about 40 min lost, we were on out way.

we made the rehearsal, i did a damned fine job w/ my best man speech at the reception, i danced a lot, and we had an all around good time all weekend, post lightning strike. coincidentally, as i stepped onto the altar (?) to give give up the rings for the blessing, a HUGE thundercrack hit, sounding like it was directly above us. everyone got a good crack up out of that, given i'm the black sheep friend. Twisted Evil

got up this morning, found an autozone while braving all the 1 way streets in midtown, scored a used battery for $35, fixed my date's explorer enough for us to get home today. i'm hoping it's only a couple of fuses to get her 100%, but it wouldn't surprise me if she had a bunch of stuff that never works again. ate at denny's on the way home and it was pretty damn good.
STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09, are they still married?
churchy
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Boise, ID

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We left our house last summer to run our errand when a lightning storm started. When we got home, nothing electronic worked anymore (hot tub, TVs, DTV receivers, stereos, etc.....). We must have taken a hit and fried EVERYTHING! Evil or Very Mad
nmballa
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Milwaukee

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, i didn't feel any static or charge but my heart was beating so fast I probably wouldn't even have noticed. Wish I had it on camera.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=509037985&ref=profile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STPHNSN23 wrote:
jt09, are they still married?

nope! Laughing Laughing
churchy

City: Boise, ID

PostPosted: Aug 14, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a HUGE lightning storm here last night... kept me up until 3 am
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: