Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Ankle injuries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have you sprined you ankle wakeboarding?
Yes, i fell over the nose/tail and i broke my fibula
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Yes, i fell over the nose/tail but i just sprained/tore ligaments
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
Yes, fell over the nose/tail but was back on the water in a day or two or less
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
Yes, my foot came out of the bindings partially and rolled inward keeping me out for months
13%
 13%  [ 5 ]
Yes, my foot came out of the bindings partially and rolled inward keeping me out for a day or two
7%
 7%  [ 3 ]
Yes, my foot fully came out of the bindings and i sprained the ankle still in
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
No
47%
 47%  [ 18 ]
Total Votes : 38

cletis
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Oshawa, Ont.

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject: Ankle injuries Reply with quote

Hey guys i've been noticing that alot of you guys are experiencing ankle sprains ranging from minor to extream. I'm and kiesiology student and i'm also studying athletic therapy and biomechanics and it occured to me that this might be an area where i can do my research for an independent study. So i figured i would place up a pole to get some numbers on the severity number of people who have experienced them.
LFADAM
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: New York City

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never hurt my ankles. I dont see how you could when you are wearing good binidngs. They are like giant ankle braces! But maybe if you had sandal bindings or something you could.
cletis
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya i thought the samething originally but lately i have been seeing alot of eversion ankle sprains which are very rare and i see them alot in wakeboarders and snowboarders usually falling over the nose/tail of the board while the foot is locked in which is the exact mechanism for this typ of sprain.
rmm025
Criminal
Criminal

City: West Monroe, LA

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for the partially coming out and kept me out for a day or two, but it is actually gonna keep me out for a week or two. I just sprained it tuesday. Just a heads up that there might be some more cases in the grey area between a day or two and a couple of months.
prior40
Addict
Addict

City: Palo Alto

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to ride Hyperlite 30/60s and messed up my ankles on numerous occasions. I switched to Highbacks this season and so far haven't had any problems. So much more ankle support over those 30/60s. We will see what the future holds though.
WyLd_ChiLd
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Toronto

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Havn't hurt my ankles yet.....I am definatly not looking forward to it either *Knock On Wood*
ibusthard
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Houston

PostPosted: Jun 16, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked "Yes, fell over the nose/tail but was back on the water in a day or two or less", however I didn't really fall over the nose or tail, it's just the closest to what happened. I was trying tanny's to blind, and didn't get the full 180. I landed with my back to the boat, but I was way over on my toes, like going down on my face and the force of the water was pushing on my toe edge bending my ankles very far. This has happened before, and it just happened again yesterday. It's a little sore today, and I'm gonna stay off the water till saturday.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
cletis
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
Ruune
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: San Antonio & Austin, TX

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine was about as bad as they get. It was the end of July, last summer. I was coming off of a backroll when I over rotated, and had my bodyweight way too far back. To make a long story short, my ankle pivoted towards the trailing edge of the board, and separated from my foot- tearing every ligament on the inside of my foot- from my instep up to my ankle. Additionally, the impact reset my ankle at an angle, tearing 6cm out of my interosseous membrane and bruising the tip of my fibula.

Went to the E.R. and was told I had no visible fractures, but that an MRI would need to be done if it still bothered me. So, they gave me a saddle brace and sent me on my way. The following monday it wasnt any better, so I scheduled an appt w/ a sports medicine doctor, who had an MRI done. She then sent me to an orthopedic surgeon, who wanted to put screws in my ankle immediately. I told him that wasnt something I wanted to do, and if there were any alternatives, I'd rather do that. So, I was in a cast for 8 weeks, then rehab for another 6 weeks... when the told me that wakeskating would be a GREAT rehabilitation/strengthening exercise Very Happy

www.360wakeboard.com
www.texaswakeboarders.com
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ruune
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: San Antonio & Austin, TX

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one other note... bindings are everything. Not just the support, but the spacing. Make sure that you have proper ankle support and that you have help setting them up, if you're not experienced enough.

I was using a pair of LF ultras, which I LOVED. However, they provide little to no lateral support for your ankles (side to side). I then switched to CD AS01s, but they were a bit too restrictive, and the footbed was too hard. I finally went back to LF, and am currently using the '05 team bindings (stretched out w/ beer cans!). These things are the perfect balance of support, ease of entry, and comfort. Still, find what works best for you, and DEMO, DEMO, DEMO!!!

www.360wakeboard.com
www.texaswakeboarders.com
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cletis
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 18, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
tball
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 18, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never hurt my ankles wakeboarding, but I did tear up my left ankle in a motorcycle accident (torn ligaments associated with a fibula break). I was hesitant to wakeboard on it at first, but I've found that good fitting bindings are very supportive. Other than some discomfort putting them on and taking them off, it's never been a problem, even within six months of having the fixation screws removed.

I did get a light sunburn last weekend, but I'm not sure that's related. Very Happy

Craig-R

PostPosted: Jun 18, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i haven't sprained my ankle but when i had hyperlite splits i would fall forward over the board and it'd hurt a lot for a while, with the Transits i get a lot more support
MattyBoyR6
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Mesa

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted for partialy came out and out for months. I think the time away from boarding was 2 yrs and the time away from basktball was around 6 months.

Over rotated a 360 and the nose caught. Tore my fornt foot completely out of the binding leaving the back foot in. When I eventualy went to the doctor 3 months later, he told me I had torn and/or stretched all the ligements. I was on vacation so I had no insurance. He put me in an air cast and told me to take it easy.

Bindings were hyperlite Raiders circa '99-'00. Very soft ruber for ankle support. And everyone of these stories gave me some ghost pains.

WyLd_ChiLd
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Toronto

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking the other day....If there are any skiers or snowboarders in here you will know what I am talking about. On ski's there is a quick release on the bindings , When great amount of stress is on the boot it snaps off so there is no injury to the ancle....Why dont they do it for wakeboarding.
Jensen
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Chico

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i havent hurt my ankles at all during wakeboarding. I think that with proper fitting boots you should be alright.
tball
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WyLd_ChiLd, the quick release makes more sense on skis because your feet are separated on different attachments that have a ton of leverage because of their length. Those releases protect your knees, legs, hips as much as they protect your ankles.

But I do have quick release bindings on my wakeskate... Laughing

Gearhart28`

City: Austin

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goin in for ankle surgery tomorrow morning...I voted for the 1st option Crying or Very sad
cletis
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 21, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump
bpatters

PostPosted: Jun 21, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually last summer I seriously sprained my right ankle just by landing sittting down with my board facing the boat. 3 weeks later I tore the tendon in my other ankle landing in the same position.

When you land in certain positions alot of twist and torque can be produced on your ankles and unless your very flexible it's extremely easy to mess up your ankles and your knee's.

I know just as man ypeople who have messed up their ankles as have messed up their knee's. Really just keeping flexible, warming up, and not riding while drinking or dehydrated from previous days of drinking is the key.
btcarro
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Anthem / N. Phoenix

PostPosted: Jun 21, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had bad sprains playing softball two years ago, I still have some symptoms but wakeboarding doesnt hurt my ankles at all. I ride with LF team bindings
whopper

City: Sofia, Bulgaira

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to learn FS 360 for two days.
On the second day really tired almost land it, but the entire force went to my back foot and my ankle was not able to deal with it. It's not broken, but hurts a lot. Probably out for 2, 3 weeks. My bindings were not tighten a lot, because I would like my foot to be release in case of bad fall.
Could you advice how tight should set my bindings ?
LFADAM

City: New York City

PostPosted: Aug 13, 2014 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whopper, good job using the search function, even if it's a thread from 2005 Laughing

The general consensus I've found today is that with as good as wakeboard bindings are now, riders tighten them as much as possible without cutting off circulation. The majority of riders don't want to eject anymore. The logic (in my opinion and backed up by a pro rider among others) is that if you get knocked out, especially if you aren't wearing a CGA vest, your board will keep your body afloat until the boat comes around. Also, the worst ankle injuries can be when your foot comes only half out, so cranking them down prevents that. And lastly, bindings these days are more like snowboard boots (especially the Hyperlite System) and they don't eject, so why should we?

Hope the ankle heals up fast!
whopper

City: Sofia, Bulgaira

PostPosted: Aug 14, 2014 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the advice LFADAM!

I obviously was on the wrong way to don't tight the bindings a lot! I suspect that this was the mistake and now I am sure Smile

Actually I am recovering faster than expected so I hope to be on water in the next 2 weeks Smile

Appreciate the fast reply!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: